Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm gonna have $50 for the sale (for now) and these are the wishlist games I'm focusing on for the sale:

Princess Remedy In a Heap of Trouble
Spaceman Sparkles series
CrossCells (maybe it won't suck like SquareCells did)
Tick Tock Bang Bang
Legacy of Kain series
Hidden Folks
Monolith
The Tenth Line
Bleed 2
OneShot
Momodora Reverie
ICEY
Pan-Pan
Poi
Flinthook
Skylar & Plux
Hollow Knight
Assassin's Creed Rogue

basically stuff that's currently $15 or less pre-sale. I'm obviously not going to be able to get all those games at the moment so I'll probably lean on the ones that have real discounts. some of these are relatively new and won't get much more than a 25% discount, I'm expecting. my actual steam wishlist is nearly 200 games, excluding unreleased games, so there's always deals that might sneak in and snag me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

some indie deals

lasercat 49c
rochard 99c
rot gut 99c
carrie's order up $1.49
the bug butcher $2.39
milkmaid of the milky way $3
standby $3.19
sylvio $3.24
deathtrap $4
submerged $4
pharaoh rebirth $4
her majesty's spiffing $5
clandestine $5
bunker punks $5
mainlining $5
stories untold $5
kero blaster $6
the magic circle $6
dead secret $6
the tenth line $6.69
enter the gungeon $7.49
sublevel zero $7.49
amber throne $7.49
bleed 2 $8
mekazoo $8
odyssey the next generation science game $9
anima gate of memories $10
hive jump $10
cosmic star heroine $12
the signal from tolva $14
owlboy $17
atelier sophie $21

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 22, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed sales make no sense anymore

Unity is $20 the same price as Syndicate. no one even likes Unity and its the previous game what in the heck.

rogue is $10 even though it came out the same time as unity simply because it was made in black flag's engine i guess? but then freedom cry is $7.49 which is a standalone expansion of black flag. freedom cry is like 4-5 hours but it's only 2.50 cheaper than Rogue, a full game

worst thing is, these were the same prices on UPlay's summer sale too

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 22, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DaveKap posted:

Huh, that reminds me of some other game that a ton of people loved but then when they got near the end the game just abruptly stopped and that pissed off everyone who played it. And no, it was some indie metroidvania, not Metal Gear Solid V.
you could be talking about dark matter but I -think- you're talking about Valdis Story which initially only ended with a comic ABOUT the final boss instead of an actual final boss. that game is as overrated as you claim yeah

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Batch #1

Giveaway #1:

The first person to respond to this gets SuperHOT

e: nm I made it a gift link I'll just PM you!!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think Dark Matter was well liked, but yeah it does end so early that you'd think you were playing a demo. Probably a more egregious "uhh it's complete!" ejection than Spacebase's

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

Okay thread, I got a challenge for ya.

I'm looking for some fun or decent action and platformer games, bundles are allowed, and the total cost should be 8 bucks or less.

Hit me with your best shot!
RIVE, two tribes' final game, is like an arcadey twin-stick master blaster, it's balls to the wall. $7.49

wuppo was one of my favorite games of 2016, a game in the style of the old freeware hit Untitled Story, it's an overflowingly-charming open world game where you are kicked out of your apartment and adventure around an extremely cute land. $6

If you don't own shovel knight yet, you could try Spectre of Torment standalone at $8. bear in mind that buying the shovel knight treasure trove gets you all of the additional campaigns though

also echoing copy kitty, which was my #1 indie game of 2016

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 23, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

WOW that looks fun! And it's from GAME FREAK!? :what:
game freak also did Tembo the Badass Elephant for Steam, which could've been an awesome DKC clone had it not established ridiculous collectathon gates that actively work against the "go fast" playstyle of the game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

It's also incorrectly labelled as a Metroidvania I think, which is why I was interested in it. You can warp around but it's really just a puzzle platformer.
a lot of games are labelled as Metroidvanias that aren't, it's a pet peeve of mine

I think people just see an open world and say METROIDVANIA because of dark souls

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

Haydee, yay or nay?
nay nay nay nay nay nay nay.

also thanks to too much dead rat for Stories: the Path of Destinies!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you're EXACTLY right about Bionic Commando 2009 and Bleed, very fun games. BC09's got real fun swinging, just don't take the story too seriously

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

codo27 posted:

Wait a minute you mean to tell me whats on sale on Steam now is it for the whole sale? RE7 still $48? WOOOOOO WOOP DEE DOO gently caress OFF GABE
capcom set that price and they've not given a gently caress about deep discounts for a long time (even in the flash deal era)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there seems to be some issue with Steam right now because I'm not getting cards from the discovery queue or from passing $10, I'm sure it'll get resolved

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Batch #2:

Giveaway #2: INSIDE

first person to respond who wants INSIDE will get a PM with a humble gift link

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I didn't find hero siege very fun despite multiple attempts to get into it, it seems extremely grindy to me, with your base abilities you'll hit a ceiling as to how far you'll get and enemies will take forever to go down

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hi I finished Poi so I'll talk about it since it was gifted to me

http://store.steampowered.com/app/401810/?snr=1_5_9__205

so right now, these are the modern 3D PC Platformers i'm aware of: Yooka Laylee (do not own), FreezeME, Poi, Skylar & Plux (do not own), Woodle Tree, The Last Tinker (SO IT CLAIMS TO BE), Lolly Joe (do not own), A Hat in Time (not out yet), Snake Pass (not sure this one counts, don't own), Grow Home/Up, Unbox (don't own but played a demo). If you want to go back a bit, there's Tiny & Big (sorta) and Papo & Yo (barely).

so if I were to grade what I've played to date, FreezeME is maybe a D+, The Last Tinker is an F because it has AssCreed free-running instead of jumping, Grow Home a C because it's not really a conventional 3D platformer so much as a chill-out ride vines up and up and up game (and it's really good for being that), and now Poi, which I tentatively give a B-.

I say tentatively even though I've gotten over 60 of the 100 total medallions (the game's equivalent to stars), mostly because the game is 0% original in the slightest. It steals Mario's moveset, its enemies are Mario enemy knockoffs, there's nothing, NOTHING it does that is unique. It's also quite low budget, with substandard lighting and relatively plain looking textures that are certainly vibrant but lacking in the kind of beauty-in-simplicity aesthetic that Nintendo rules at. of course, the game doesn't pretend that it's original. You are guided by an old person with a mustache who goes "hoo hoo!" a lot and no they're not the pillsbury doughboy. So maybe because of those factors it should be a C+.

THAT SAID, unlike FreezeME, whose level design was a mess, Poi has fun platforming playgrounds, that aren't necessarily super tough-- they are influenced by Mario 64 rather than Galaxy so they aren't super hazardous-- but will give you a lot of heights to climb and nooks and crannies to explore. The game has four primary worlds with 7 medallions each, but as you collect medallions, a bunch of stuff sprouts up all around you in the hub world, from mini-games to challenge stages (think Mario Sunshine's FLUDD-less levels) to flat out entire optional levels like Snowland (which has 7 medallions of its own). The game rewards exploration, with 100 coin stars, fossils to dig up, golden gears to find (traded 5 at a time for medallions), the ability to go back to the prologue level (which has 4 more medallions to get). Each level has locations to document (basically find the unique areas of the level) and doing that can get you medallions. There's also apparently a new game+ but I dunno what that does.

I think the most important part of Poi was that at no point did I just stop and stare at the level and think "what the gently caress is this garbage" like I did with FreezeME which just threw a bunch of random poo poo everywhere. The majority of Poi's level design MAKES SENSE (from a gameplay standpoint). The medallions are spread out in a way that each medallion usually takes you to a different area of the level (with the exception of the first world Cozy Canyon which is a kind of small level that is a bit too condensed).

All that comes together into a package that I'd say is maybe worth-- okay this is usually a bad tangent but I'll do it anyway-- uhh I guess $10?? Currently it costs $15 -10%, and I dunno. Budget-wise, we're talking about a game that reminds me of early XBLA games in terms of presentation, texturing, lighting, etc. And it's not original in any way. It also has a not-amazing start by having somewhat errand-y medallions in cozy canyon. I dunno why I'm talking y'all out of it because I enjoyed it a lot, but it was also GIFTED to me and I didn't spend my own money on it, while I certainly did spend money on FreezeME and I certainly did find myself disappointed from the experience.

e: I will be going back into Poi to get more medallions but I dunno if I'll 100% it. there's no medallion too excrutiating to get or anything but it's just a matter of, once I get most of the medallions, it'll come down to finding the last few fossils/locations I dunno if I have time to do that with all the other games I wanna play

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 25, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I'm not sure what people mean when they call Hollow Knight "floaty," there's no wind-up or slow-down momentum when you move or finish jumping, you have perfect air control when you jump, and you even have varying height levels to your jump based on how long you hold the button down. The timing and arc seems pretty normal to me? I've also not had problems with inputs while using a controller, it's 1:1 as far as I can tell.
I played the demo and I don't know what people are talking about either. I think "floaty" is entering that nebulous territory of being described to many different things, much like "Metroidvania" has been used to describe several games in this thread that aren't Metroidvanias

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rogue Legacy IS floaty and also a disappointing garbage pile

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

strategery posted:

It is admirable how you are okay being completely and utterly wrong.
a lot of people have built up hills to die on for contrarian viewpoints and this is my relatively small hill (because it's an indie game)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

now you wanna good time get this boy for 99 cents and chill out saving scientists and shooting water and lava (sometimes at the scientists accidentally) http://store.steampowered.com/app/332330/PixelJunk_Shooter_Ultimate/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

batch #3:

giveaway #3: Undertale

respond to this and I'll send you a PM with a gift link

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lakbay posted:

Not interested in the giveaway but do you have a Steam Curator page or something? I'm pretty much just stalking your posts for indie gems in this thread at this point
i stopped updating the steam curator page years ago although i do have a game playthrough channel but I play both good and mediocre games on it (while talking over it). it mostly exists to motivate me to beat my games. there's around 140 game playthroughs on there now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

suuma posted:

Why do people keep calling Dead Cells a metroidvania? It's a roguelike platformer.
people confuse roguelikes or open world games for metroidvanias sometimes. the definition should be pretty simple: areas are gated off by ability (you can't get somewhere without acquiring a new ability/move), and those abilities/moves can also be used in earlier areas to find secrets

I may do a steam curator group simply for defining if a game is a metroidvania or not because it's getting to be a thing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

I thought Dead Cells at least has unlocks/pickups that let you use alternate paths in a Metroidvania-ish way, so it's maybe not completely out of left field.
it's just a light element though because your runs are very linear. also when i played the game those alternate paths only led to bonus loot, maybe it's different now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm now gonna talk about Stories the Path of Destinies since it was given to me.

if Stories was judged purely on its gameplay it would probably just be a C+ game, but because of the interesting nature of its structure and narrative, it slides into a B-. congrats! a bronze medal

gameplay-wise, it's just sort of an isometric action game with arkham-lite combat, with very bare bones loot (you get ore to upgrade/essences to upgrade your swords, and gems with passive perks that you install like materia on your gauntlet). it's passable but it would not sell the game by itself. bear in mind i've played games like driftmoon which had way worse combat that I suffered through because I was charmed by the dorky low-budget world they made. there's a skill tree at level up but not all of the skills are all that interesting. just being real here!!

now for the narrative, Stories goes for a Virtue's Last Reward style "relive the story but you remember things" structure. you will play 5 chapters and get an ending, almost always bad, and your choices determine where you go and how the story unfolds. there are 24 total stories to play out, although they are sorted into 4 different ending types, each revolving around a certain Truth. The stories are often amusing, especially because you can choose for Reynaldo (the player character) to disregard his own past-life intuition. The game is narrated and while it's no Stanley Parable, there is plenty of dialogue and most of it is new in every run. One fun thing I found was I was spinning around in a circle for no real reason and the narrator had something to say about that (actually it has a couple of different things to say).

the game has good art design and cartoony character designs that are a cut above the average. the music is nice (and I believe performed by a real orchestra) though not particularly memorable. WARNING, the game has a lot of dumb nerd references forced in. I didn't mind the posters in Guacamelee but I do mind the narrator saying "there's an inscription here: PRAISE THE SUN" or "Reynaldo remembered the time he found issue 1 of Superman in a jar he broke" (so there's DC Comics in this universe???). i was waiting for a character to say Bazinga. :|

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lakbay posted:

I mostly buy indie games during sales and even those seem to not have as big discounts. I had a "buy when it's $5 or less" rule but a lot of stuff I expected to be at that price point are at $6.79 or $7.50 and most of them are a couple of years old
i've spent $50 and gotten 18 games, an average of $2.78 per game

some games have had their cheapest prices ever (headlander, pharaoh rebirth, typing of the dead overkill, stories untold, oneshot) while others have been at their peak discount to date

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm not making my next batch purchase yet but i know what it'll be: fairy fencer f, magic circle, last door S2 and quantum conundrum

that'll leave me with close to 4 dollars and maybe i'll get one more game beyond this and that'll probably be it for me for the sale, so i'll let card drops and stuff get my steam wallet up higher. then get maybe sublevel zero. idk

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zetsubou-san posted:

you'd have a better time with sublevel zero than with quantum conundrum, unless you really enjoy first-person precision jumping puzzles
i do

i cant screencap my batch #4 but i already said the games so it's no big deal.

Giveaway #4: One Piece Pirate Warriors 3

reply and I will PM a gift link. yo ho ho he took a bite of gum gum

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

Started up Creepy Castle and in the first ten minutes I found a note from a resident bitching that their apartment has running water, which could let someone sneak in at night and turn it on to drown them.
Creepy Castle was one of my top games of 2016 and I loved the inhabitants of the world

also the tutorial sheets you find that describe just basic living

Rain World is adding difficulties:

quote:

In addition to our classic slugcat protagonist, this expansion will feature 2 new playable slugcats, each with their own unique ecosystem and playstyle.

Yellow / "The Monk" - For players who are looking for a more peaceful experience in Rain World, we present a player character that is more at peace with nature. Creatures will be less aggressive toward this slugcat, and are easier to befriend.

Similarly, its reputation within the world ecosystem will regenerate quicker if conflicts do arise. Ascetic in lifestyle, the monk requires less food to survive but is also physically weaker, meaning that spears and rocks are less viable as weapons. Sensing its balance with nature, the Karma gates bordering regions stay open for this saintlike being.

Pink / "The Hunter" - For players who are looking for an even more challenging experience than the well-known brutality of Rain World, we present this carnivorous and aggressive path. The hunter must make predators into prey, killing and eating larger creatures such as lizards to survive! Its heightened metabolism makes it faster, stronger and more dangerous, but also means that it requires significantly more food to survive hibernation.

As a necessity of its lifestyle, it has learned to carry extra spears on its back like the scavengers do. It is a being pushing beyond the confines of its place in the ecosystem, and thus is karmically imbalanced in this world... shunned by the spiritual realm, no karma flowers spawn and it must find its own way.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nova-111, Dragon Fin Soup, Highrise Heroes and One Finger Death Punch in this bundle

https://www.indiegala.com/friday

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you don't have any money for this sale, might I recommend Khimera? http://store.steampowered.com/app/467380/Khimera_Destroy_All_Monster_Girls/

it's a freeware Megaman/Shovel Knight-inspired game that is really fun where you punch the poo poo out of everything. it has an insane amount of effort for a free game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a page of posts about awesome soundtracks and not one mention of shovel knight what the gently caress

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have $5.92, this is my wishlist under $6.

Carrie's Order Up ($1.49)
Evo Explores ($1.99)
Princess Remedy in a Heap of Trouble ($2.09)
The Bug Butcher ($2.39)
Glass Masquerade ($3.14)
Standby ($3.19)
Stairs ($3.24)
Sylvio ($3.24)
Recursed ($3.99)
Deathtrap ($3.99)
Bulb Boy ($4.49)
Her Majesty's Spiffing ($4.79)
Fortified ($4.94)
Castaway Paradise ($4.94)
Bunker Punks ($4.94)
Red Faction: Guerilla ($4.99)
Mainlining ($4.99)
Grow Up ($4.99)
Valley ($4.99)
Heart & Slash ($5.09)
Ginger: Beyond the Crystal ($5.09)
Kero Blaster ($5.99)
Chronicles of Teddy ($5.99)
Dead Secret ($5.99)
NeonXSZ ($5.99)

honestly i dunno what to pick. i could always just save the money for a future sale but, idk. I know a lot of these games are obscure (well, RF:G isn't) but I'm sure people have opinions on some of them

also thanks to Fart of Presto for Pathologic Classic and Submerged!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's no need to antagonize blattdorf, they already have to live with the forbidden fruit of their trump toxx victory

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i spent about $70 and got 26 games, and 4 gifted to me

Fairy Fencer F
Heart's Medicine: Time to Heal
Headlander
LaserCat (beaten)
Last Door Season 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Magic Circle
Milkmaid of the Milky Way (beaten)
Monstro Battle Tactics
Normal Lost Phone (beaten)
OneShot
Pathologic Classic <- gifted to me
Pharaoh Rebirth
Poi (beaten) <- gifted to me
Princess Remedy 2
Quantum Conundrum
Red Faction Guerilla
Replica (beaten)
Rochard (currently playing)
RunGunJumpGun (beaten-ish)
Spaceman Sparkles 2 (beaten-ish)
Spaceman Sparkles 3D
Stories: the Path of Destinies (beaten) <- gifted to me
Stories Untold
Submerged <- gifted to me
The Tenth Line
Tick Tock Bang Bang (beaten)
Typing of the Dead Overkill (beaten)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think someone else recommended that game but I'm glad you're enjoying it??

• Locked thread