Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Flaggy posted:

Shadows of Mordor for 4 bucks a no brainer?

I'm thinking about this one too but it's worth mentioning BundleStars is selling it with all DLC for $5. Probably worth the extra buck? Dunno.

edit: Looks like it might all be just pointless fluff actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Steam version is GOTY for $4 so includes all the dlc.

Zore posted:

The DLC is pretty worthless overall. Utterly skippable since none of it integrates into the main campaign, or is just cheat items/skins

Good to know, thanks!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Hmm, the one sale I finally decide to take the plunge on Dark Souls, and it's not discounted. I guess I've been spared a headache since I don't actually have a controller for it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap, small / modest / short games? I'm thinking of stuff like Refunct, Proteus or Mountain, games that offer a short but unique experience, maybe slightly experimental (but doesn't have to be), that you can knock off in a couple of sittings.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

EightDeer posted:

If I loved Uplink to death, what's the next best thing? I've been looking at Hacker Evolution and Hacknet, but I don't know if they're any good.

There are a few different Hacker Evolution games and I'm not totally sure what the difference is, although it doesn't seem significant. There's the original, then Duality which seems like an upgraded version, and then something currently in Early Access. I can only tell you about Duality, specifically that it's absolutely dreadful and you should avoid it at all costs. The base gameplay is boring and tedious and the levels are linear and require trial-and-error where the margins for victory are so thin that each error generally means restarting the level. You basically have to memorize the correct, linear sequence of actions through repeated failure.

Honestly it's one of the worst games I've played and I have no faith that the other titles in the series are any different.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

axeil posted:

Stanley Parable, The Beginner's Guide or Pony Island are both quick and very experimental/meta.

Zetsubou-san posted:

Ossuary - $3.99 (-60%) - surreal puzzle adventure game
NaissanceE - $3.74 (-75%) - very atmospheric exploration game, a great experience
McPixel - $0.99 (-80%) - stop the bomb exploding! You have 20 seconds!
Bad Mojo Redux - $0.59 (-90%) - mid 90's FMV adventure game inspired by Kafka

Thanks for these by the way, I've already played Stanley, Pony Island and McPixel but will take a look at the others. NaissanceE seems closest to what I'm looking for.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Hey, I also just bought Headlander and Milkmaid of the Milky Way. :) (Plus like thirty other games, but that's beside the point.) The latter is the first thing I'm going to play through, looks really charming and lovely.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

DontMindMe posted:

Did another dive into hidden gem threads and came up with another list of possible gems/trash. Any feedback on what to keep/drop?

Rusty Lake Bundle
Milkmaid of the Milky Way
Lily Looking Through

Keep Milkmaid. It's a really charming and good-natured adventure game that's overall really lovely to play through. Only takes about two hours, which is a little short, but then again it's $3 right now so that's okay. I was going to post a recommendation for it in this thread because it's been my favorite from what I've bought in the sale (so far, admittedly I have not played even a third of the games I've bought yet). The only caveat is that it's written in rhymes so that may or may not annoy. Search your feelings.

Keep Rusty Lake. They can be a little obtuse at times, but nothing too bad, and combined they gave me about 7 hours. The engine kind of sucks (seems to be in flash?) and they were clearly designed for touch controls, but that shouldn't be a dealbreaker. They're basically a series of vignettes where each one is a puzzle / task. They do get kind of violent, though.

I would probably... drop Lily Looking Through. It's not bad, but it's a step down from the above two. Mostly I remember the animations being really slow and tedious to sit through, which made the whole thing a bit of a chore to play.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know this is highly subjective, but recommend me games with awesome soundtracks. I don't care which genre or category, as long as the game itself is at least decent.

Some examples: Fallout 1/2, Deus Ex, Hotline Miami 1/2, Brigador, Shatter, Bastion, VVVVVV.

Beatbuddy has a great soundtrack, although it's pretty short. Fun game, too.

edit: The first two Tropicos too, of course. The soundtrack for the third wasn't as good, I thought, and I haven't played 4-5.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Got $0.52 in my wallet, should I get Morphopolis or Spaceport Hope? Leaning towards the latter a little, but feel like the former's probably a more unique experience.

• Locked thread