Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm pretty sure Green Man Gaming no longer does the coupon thing but they're still worth keeping an eye on anyway. However, they tend to have slightly better discounts now if you're signed up with them and that's kind of incorporated into that. It's not as good as the good old days, but it's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Senjuro posted:

Why the hell did I buy Hitman today instead of waiting a day and getting some extra cards or something? Well poo poo.

Maybe you could return it shamelessly? Heartlessly? Wisely?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Cue the anticipation followed by the wet fart sound that stands in for Valve never getting their poo poo together.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm glad I set a game budget for myself over a year ago, it'll keep things in order.

(It's no more than $30 or one game a month, whichever is higher. DLC and Humble Bundles don't generally count. The ceiling is raised to $60 during Steam Sales.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Completed my Discovery Queue and got 13 cards as well.

Dunno if that's supposed to be normal.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed sales make no sense anymore

Unity is $20 the same price as Syndicate. no one even likes Unity and its the previous game what in the heck.

Yeah, I'm loving baffled by Unity at $20. Did they not recall the blowback on that, or did a bunch of jerks just buy it at full price and convince them they hadn't completely shat the bed on that one?

katkillad2 posted:

Does anyone know if that River City Ransom: Underground game ever got better with patches? People said it was pretty rough at launch.

It got better. It's certainly not perfect, so a lot of it depends on your fondness for the concept, but they did clean up some of the rougher issues and did a lot of bugfixing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

AccountingNightmare posted:

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet has Metroidvania-style exploration and upgrades, but has no platforming because you control a little spaceship. It's also $3 USD atm.

It's also absolutely gorgeous with a beautiful soundtrack featuring pieces by Dimmu Borgir. The game itself is... unfortunately a bit rough as far as Metroidvanias go. But the price is right for a game that's a lot of flash if not as much substance. I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQSFpKG1les

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Nier yes or no

Very yes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

More goon opinions needed...

Beat Hazard
AudioSurf
REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR
Savant - Ascent

I love Beat Hazard, but it's mostly just playing a twin stick to cool music, any connection to the track you're playing is kinda vague (intensity and volume seem to matter, I guess). Audiosurf is a classic color-matching game that was pretty great at the time and probably holds up pretty well. Revolver360 was a shooter with a very cool gimmick but I don't know how much I'd replay it. Savant is an interesting arcade experience but it's not terribly deep and it's exceedingly short. Very pretty, though.

None of them are bad choices at their current price point.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Any goon opinions on Resident Evil Revelations 2? I played the first episode and I actually rather liked what it was doing, I guess I'm mainly interested to make sure it doesn't go seriously downhill from there.

(Yes, I know Resident Evil 7 looks real good, I'm just trying to keep that itch scratched until I feel like I can drop the $$$ on it.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

DiseasedTempest posted:

I really liked Rev 2. The gunplay felt real good-they keep you on a tight leash with ammo for most of the game so nailing headshots and using melee are important. The plot is firmly on the goofier side of the RE gradient, so if you like campy b-movie silliness you should have a good time. I would say it's my favorite RE game since 4.

I played through RE 0-5 + Code Veronica + ReMake + Revelations so I think I can say I have a pretty thick skin for camp. Thanks!

Having them lampshade the dialogue that went memetic from the original is pretty :rolleyes: , tho.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

You must be reading my mind.

Thanks goons, for all the game recommendations and doing intervention on my steam deal habit.

Here's some games I have from my inventory and past bundles. See something you like, just hit me up on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/-blackadder-/

Tossed over an invite to ask about stuff!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

Ask ten FF fans this question and you'll get eleven opinions. For my part, X is the greatest the series has ever been, and X-2 is secretly solid gold. I dislike IX personally, but the Steam port is, by all accounts, extremely solid.

Yeah, I'd concur that X is my favorite. It's just the most fun of the ones I've played.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Does anyone want a skull? I might have too many skulls.

e: I'm serious. Shoot me a friend request and explain why you need a skull, and you will get One (1) skull.

Sure! I've a long series of reviews / lets reads about a tabletop game that involves a lot of skulls.

I don't know your steam ID to request, but here's mine:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/arbco

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know this is highly subjective, but recommend me games with awesome soundtracks. I don't care which genre or category, as long as the game itself is at least decent.

Some random examples: Fallout 1/2, Deus Ex, Hotline Miami 1/2, Brigador, Shatter, Bastion, VVVVVV, STALKER series.

I'll second Nier Automata. Speaking of being anime, there's always the Guilty Gear soundtracks. Pick any one, really.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sleeping Dogs has a fair deal of hand to hand if you follow the side missions for martial arts or the prize fights IIRC.

Alternately for some of them you can just run over the guys you're supposed to fight hand-to-hand with your car. "Oh, did you bring your fists to a car fight?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

I'd say Hollow Knight because it's my indie GOTY and best metroidvania on Steam, but I haven't played remake so i'm just offering half the opinion required to answer. sorry mate

I would say also buy Resident Evil 4 if you haven't played it, it's real super good and only $6.80 http://store.steampowered.com/app/254700/resident_evil_4__biohazard_4/. idk how REmake turned out

REmake is pretty much a notably improved version of the original version of Resident Evil, so it depends on how you feel about going back to ol' tank controls and very limited ammo and all that. (There's a newer control scheme that I don't think I ever tried.) If you don't mind the clunkier aspects of the original it's like that, but with extra areas, new features, and an improved coat of paint.

It's improved but by no means a game-changer. Really wish they'd done a remake for Resident Evil 2, it deserves it a lot more.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ArfJason posted:

iirc they are

Huh, so they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcW6W-xVl-8

WE DO IT.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Blattdorf posted:

Shooting up some ISIS soldiers sounded tempting, so I gave the game a try last winter sale and found it fun if somewhat difficult.

People can make up their own minds on this matter.

It's a dogwhistle game. I can see why one might not notice if one isn't actually watching for the red flags associated with that kind of thing, but the reviews section on IS Defense is different than other review sections for definitive reasons, and those reasons really aren't debatable.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

There's like 2, maybe 3 tombs max in the game

7, technically. Which still isn't a lot, mind.

It's worth a whirl if you enjoyed the sequel at that price.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

THE DAMAGE

Sold off a chunk of my now-redundant 360 and PS3 collection at the Pawnstop, so the financial hit wasn't too hard. Somehow I got $35+ for three Valve games. I guess they'd know their game values, but...

Purchases:

FaceRig Live 2D Module: Took a poo poo-ton of work to get FaceRig functioning before I bought this, but one day it suddenly just worked. Now I can be a hideous anime abomination, life is alright.
Life is Strange: I had downloaded the 1st part last sale with the intent to try it out. Tried it out, liked it, dropped the $5 for the rest.
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator: There are a lot of great games but nothin's cooler than this. You have to be able to still tolerate the obtuse quirks of fighting games, though.
Pinball FX2 - Bethesda Pinball: Doom makes for a great pinball table. Skyrim and Fallout mostly continue FX2's flirtation with RPG-themed pinball... the Epic Quest table still does it better, though.
Kickbeat: It was $2 and I figured it was worth a whirl with how much I like Pinball FX2. I'm not sure the visualization for this rhythm game is more than just a distraction from the actual gameplay, tho.
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core: Figured I may as well round out my Guilty Gear set with one of the best games with the worst names!
Battle Fantasia Revised Edition: Sold off my 360 version and it paid for itself. Weird fighting game, but worth another look at, probably...?
Under Night In-Birth: Liked it on the PS3, hopefully I'll have the time to sit down and duel some goons on this one. I like really approachable fighting games and this is one of the few.
Resident Evil Revelations 2: Had the first part of this sitting around for ages from Humble Bundle and snubbed it, tried it out and hey, I wanna play the rest now. Mainly an inoculation against RE7 purchases.
Transformers: Devastation: Liking the use of transforming and the Platinum combo flow, not liking random equipment drops and exceedingly samey city environs. Pitch-perfect cartoon emulation.
Fairy Fencer F DLC: ... well, figured I should get it while it was cheap to avoid future regrets. Right now? Only present regrets, thanks.

Freebies:

Facerig Free DLC: Pyro is the best face for this. Very easy on the processor.
Final Fantasy XIV Free Trial: Realized it's "cheaper" to faff about with the free trial than actually buy this during the sale, but I'll be poking at it. Standard MMO jazz played really well.
Lawbreakers - Rise Up Beta: Played three rounds and uninstalled, decided it was a multiplayer shooter that focused on precisely the wrong stuff. Amazingly ugly for the amount of graphical detail.
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - Test of Power: Free DLC junk.

Gifts:

A big :siren: THANKS :siren: for all the gifts, whether it was on the Train or off!

Gemcraft - Chasing Shadows (from Zetsubou-san): I haven't tried this yet, but I have a friend who swears by it and has put in countless hours, so he'll be happy to see me dip in.
Fairy Fencer F (from Zetsubou-san): The Hyperdimension Neptunia games are dumb fun, but will they be as fun without all of the low-tier video game humor? I'll have to find out!... once I finish Neptunia, anyway.
The Dweller (from Zetsubou-san): Cheapass monster puzzling. I've wanted more games where you play some unapologetic monster. You pretty much are in most video games, but it's usually not unapologetic.
Company of Heroes (from jukkaz): Steamgifts pull. Guess I get to see what Relic did when they weren't doing youtube poop-worthy space marine speeches. 10 year anniversary entry in a series I've never played!
Wayout 2: Hex (from kater): I owned the first Wayout game. Now I own two!
SuperHOT (from kater): The game is a really fun and addictive gimmick and is everything great people have raved about. The completely obnoxious "story" can go poo poo itself to death, though.
Forced (from kater): I can't imagine the multi for this isn't dead with the sequel out, but I had a friend who really liked this, so maybe...?
Guilty Gear 2: Overture (from Sir Phoebos): This is gonna be weird and janky but I want to experience the important lore about a two swordguys and a very tall baby.
Inside (from Sklurb): Just started this out, looks to be another enjoyable and affecting trip through the misery of a child once again.
Duskers (from Sklurb): I was really curious about this one as an abstract horror piece, but I feel like I need to enter it with a clear head.
Cyber City 2157 (from NettleSoup): A pull from the WHEEL OF TRASH. When you see noted trash dumpster publisher Sometimes You, you know you're in for a treat, but this looks... surprisingly alright?

Ever since I set up my game budget, Steam Sales have often been wet blankets for me where I don't buy anything, but for some reason I went in deep. I guess I had a lot of pent-up consumer whoring to do, but it could have been a lot worse.

... I've now hit over 1000 games, though, I could be proper hosed. Never played all this in one lifetime, but I just have to remind myself that I don't have to finish a game to enjoy it.

I don't have to finish a game to enjoy it. :negative:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, I know it's small in the greater sea of Steam whales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

kater posted:

Every time I see doom taking up 90 gig I want to delete it, don't care how good it is supposed to be.

The Hidden Cost of Steam or: Why I Bought a 6TB Drive.

• Locked thread