Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Combine that with the new Steam policy change that doesn't allow you to gift to regions cheaper than 10% than your own and we're in the meh territory.

Wait what? What about games not available in my region? (ALL HAIL GERMAN CENSORSHIP!) Am I hosed or can they still be gifted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, problem is I have 60 bucks on my steam account so I'll probably stick to that for budgeting, and the ones I really want to play (which would fit into the 'next 6 months' category) are the expensive ones, so I'm not sure I'll have enough for all. :v:

I'm looking at:
NieR Automata
Dishonoured 2
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Dark Souls 3 (+DLC)
Little Nightmares
Sexy Brutale
Night in the Woods
Nex Machina
Cryptark
Snake Pass
The Surge

Here's an easy tip for you and anyone else who wants to manage their spending.

Do not buy single player games that have DLC but are not available as complete/goty edition yet.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

fuf posted:

404 roger that good buddy

FTFY

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

While that's good advice I don't know why you crossed out Rise of the Tomb Raider, because that has all of its content bundled?

My bad, I thought that wasn't a thing yet.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Weird there are several games I would have sworn have been cheaper before...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I sort of like roguelikes (Shiren the wanderer on the DS for example) for the occasional play and was thinking of getting Swords of the Stars The Pit. I am confused however, there is a gold edition and a bundle that has the gold edition and more dlc. Which one should I get?

And what other good roguelikes are there? (I prefer good graphics, nothing with Ascii code like minimalist stuff, that's just not appealing to me)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Junior Jr. posted:

Oh goddammit, FINE! Just ONE MORE game!

Dark Souls 2 or 3?

Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the first Sin because it is a Complete edition and 3 is not and will inevitably get one.

BUT: 2 is in this month's Humble Monthly for 12$ which works out at around 10€, I.e. almost the same price as on steam and you get some other games on top "for free", so I say subscribe to the bundle and then unsubscribe again for an even better value.

That's what I'll do.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
RE: dying light

My co-op group of 4 has just finished the main game and started the Following.
The main game is fun and parcour is done well, if too easy.
Sometimes suck rear end though and can get completely unfair.
Combat is very same after a while.

The Bozak hoard DLC is a stupid grind of increasingly difficult to achieve rounds. Fail and you start over. It's BAD.

The Following replaces parcour with buggies you need to maintain as was said earlier. The area is far too large and you end up driving from a to b losing each other and getting bored.

That said the achievement addicted people in my group wanted to play on the hardest difficulty...

to;dr: Dying light main game is good co-op but the DOCs are a drag/grindy.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Wolfenstein for Germans:
The region lock is only for 90 days for some reason and there is a complicated workaround based on that apparently.
1. Go to a country outside Germany, e.g. Sweden
2. Log into your steam account with the Swedish IP and change your payment method. Add a Swedish payment method, such as a Swedish credit card with a Swedish billing address.
Steam the changes your country.
3. Buy and activate Wolfenstein in Sweden.
4. Go back to Germany, try to start Wolfenstein. Steam won't let you. 5. Wait 90 days and try again, now it should work.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Daily reminder:

- The prices now are the prices until the end
- There is no daily/flash deal
- Do not buy single player games that have DLC but are not available as complete edition yet.

The last one includes Fallout 4.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

mcbexx posted:

That sounds like a completely reasonable effort.

Yeah it's super complicated bullshit. Luckily I am in Sweden regularly, due to my sis living there. If I am ever there and Wolfenstein is on sale for like 5€ I might grab it, but if I am not, I'll just not play it, 422 games in my steam list is already plenty.

Also:
I bought Everspace. It is a good fun game for playing in short sessions, as it auto saves whenever you jump. I played it for 5 hours so far and it is still fun, but I can already see the sameyness of the environments/upgrades etc. Not that that is a bad thing., but if you have a low tolerance of that kind of thing, maybe this isn't for you.

Question:
Is Hollow Knight harder than Ori? I liked Ori and haven't finished it yet but the escape sequences...oh god.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I got all I need this sale, Everspace, Life is Strange, Hollow Knight, Dark Souls II and Sproggiwood.

Dark Souls II: buy it in the humble monthly, not on steam. 12 USD for DSII and some random games, if you haven't subscribe to humbel before you get another 10% off. I payed 10.80€ for DSII that way.

Also Roguelikes: If you want them for android, check the Humble Mobile Bundle: Roguelikes. It includes Sproggiwood and 8 others, I nabbed 9 android roguelikes for 5.26 USD.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Sproggiwood trip report:
This game was described as babby's first roguelike and it does look like a game for kids. However, don't let that fool you, to a roguelike-beginner like me, it offers a surprising amount of variety in characters (6) and skills, and you really need to think tactically how to defeat the different enemies to not get killed by their "parting gifts", i.e. dying effects etc.

You start out as a farmer and clear a number of dungeons (in turn-based fighting) by defeating the end boss, the first time you beat a dungeon you get to pick a class or a special items that you have then available for use, ever tiem you beat the dungeon with a new class you get additional gold to spend.
The story progresses over a series of dungeons, I have only done half so far (maybe there is a second map with more I don't know yet)

Every time you die, you lose your equipment and level, but keep your gold but start over with the dungeon. However, once you found an item in the dungeon it is available for buying in town and you can afterwards pick it as your starting item (weapon, armor, item and potion/scroll, 1 each).
On top of it you get a town-growth mechanic where you buy upgrades that result in bonuses such as faster xp, cheaper items, more shrines (e.g. healing) and some more.

I play it on my android tablet (bought the humble roguelike mobile bundle) and it is ideal for that. It may not be as fun on a pc because it has a sit back and relax vibe going, I don't think I'd want to play that sitting at my desk, steam link on the couch or tablet definitely.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Fallout 4 or Mass Effect:Andromeda *he asked himself trying to figure out which pile of poo poo smells less* mmm, decisions decisions.

Neither, there are no complete editions yet. Not that Andromeda will ever get one, gently caress EA and their DLC pricing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Is Andromeda even going to get DLC? It just flat fell off the face of the earth after everyone saw how ugly everyone faces were.

Good point, not sure myself. But I don't think it is worth the money yet. Maybe for 20 bucks one day.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I thought that was the case, but thanks for confirming.

Trying to stick to a $10 budget since
1. Just went on vacation
2. Already own lots of games I have yet to play
3. poo poo's cheap anyway, yo

With that in mind, how should I structure my spending?

$2.49
KOTOR II

<$2.49
$1.99- Goat Simulator

If you haven't bought these yet, I can hook you up.
I have a KOTOR II and a Goaty edition Goat Simulator key I don't need from humble bundles. Drop me a pm or quote this and they are yours.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

If you're willing to part with them then hell yeah I'll take them, thanks! Just PM me.

PM sent

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Holy moly, I just finished episode 3 of Life is Strange and feel like a major idiot for one of my choices ... that game is seriously emotional storytelling, I don't think I have ever played a game with such consequences to choices.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Polish posted:

Should I get Dark Souls 3?

It is not available as complete edition and thes e games always get one.
Why not grab Dark Souls 1 Prepare to Die edition for cheaper at this point, try it and then buy 3 when all the DLC is bundled with it?
Or grab the humble monthly it has DS2 and a bunch of other games and costs the same as DS2 on steam or even less if you haven't subscribed to humble monthly before.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Stumpus posted:

I'm waffling between Starpoint Gemini Warlords and Everspace.

Both sound like games I would enjoy. Help tip me over the edge on one that will be worth my limited gaming time.

I don't know the former but I bought the latter this sale. Everspace is fun, it looks great and the random encounters/zones make for good replayability.
I am only 8 hour sin, this is what I learned:

It has a zone mechanic that is the same as in FTL, you enter a zone, explore it/fight a bit until at some point you get a warning that the enemy fleet arrives, which means "Time to haul rear end outta here" and you jump to the next zone, which you chose on a map from 2-3 alternative paths that all lead to a jumpgate into a new sector via some other zones. This looks very similar to path picking in FTL, if I remember that game correctly. When you die, you keep your credits to use in the shop before the next run but loose all progress.

As for the ship: you have a standard ship and there are 2 more unlockable ones, as well as unlockable loadouts (similar to ftl again), a wealth of unlockable clours, primary and secondary decals, as well as perks (more hull strength, faster shield recharge, more weapon slots etc.) that you unlock by paying credits you earn in your runs. During a run you can also upgrade weapons/shields and items by gathering resources (these upgrades are lost when you die though) and you can repair your ship.

There also is a story behind it, but I haven't seen much yet and it seems this only consists of cutscenes with memories and the occasional special enemy. But again I haven't delved into this much.

All that said, the random zones are kinda samey after a while (there seem to be 5 types: asteroid field, planet orbit, ice asteroids, space columns, debris field) and so are the enemies, but I like the roguelike aspect of it and it is great fun so far, basically it kinda plays like a first person (or third person) FTL. I got my moneys worth and I plan to play a lot more of it.

Tipp: use a gamepad, also it only saves after jumps upon entering a new zone/sector.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Fair warning to anyone considering Life is Strange: I just finished episode 4 and the story is not what it seems to be in the beginning. This game is serious on a level I did not expect, I'm actually a little bit shocked.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Given the shoddy build and unplayability without the fan made dsfix you should.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Life is Strange. 14 hours for one playthrough. Buy this game if you haven't got it and like adventure games. Storywise this is definitely among the best games I have played, even if the graphics could be better sometimes.
Don't read on if you haven't played it: drat the story takes a turn for the dark and sad though, I actually felt "bummed out" and had to take a break after that chapter. And the final choice was actually really difficult, not just a pick a or b, I actually thought about it. One story aspect I think they messed up is how Chloe can suddenly remember Max time travels when Max can't, or did I misunderstand that part? That seemed like a hole in the story because normally the only person who remembers is Max. Overall a great game though.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Lechtansi posted:

Hey thread,

After years of not being able to play the latest and greatest, this is my first steam sale where I can actually play modern games.

Other games currently on my wishlist that I haven't pulled the trigger on, any of them better than the others?
Bayonetta
Nier: Automata
Shovel Knight
Witcher 3
Firewatch
Prey
River City Ransom: Underground
Strider ($5 metroidvania, courtesy of Too Shy Guy)

All you need from that list is Witcher 3 complete edition. Then you are basically busy until the Christmas sale starts. And it is the best game ever.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Yeah, just about the entire thing is co-op, playing it with my brother after we picked it up this sale. The parkour's also really good, probably the best first-person take on it around. Now would also be a good time to buy into it since they recently announced that they'll be putting out a year's worth of free DLC, inexplicably.

They probably do the DLC to apologize for The Following. The main game is great, but that DLC does so many things wrong. It has nearly no parcour, the buggy have a grindy refuel mechanism, missions are deliberately far away from each other so you have to drive around for miles and there are endless spawns of runner zombies in several places, plus the car engine sound makes it hard to use voice com in co-op.
Don't get me wrong the base game rocks, but Bozack's Horde is a mindless repetitive grind fest that is the only way to get a better bow and The Following only works in co-op if you have a laser focused, coordinated group, otherwise it takes ages and gets very annoying.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
There is a system shock overhaul coming soon afaik, don't buy it now.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

markgreyam posted:

So the Disney Infinity games are great dumb fun given I know that everything is just now earned through gameplay instead of having to endlessly buy poo poo (this is trying it through Sharing). Definitely getting those now before Disney decides arbitrarily to pull them. Those 10 minute forced simple quasi-tutorial/Disney advertisements/ads for a game I'm just trying to play which are at the start of 1.0 and 3.0 can go gently caress themselves though. I guess I'm mainly talking about the infuriating 1.0 thing, 2.0 just made a proper intro level as it's opening, and while 3.0 fell back onto the "USE YOUR IMAGINATION" bullshit at least it was Star Wars I guess.

The gold editions seem a bit pricey, where do you find the standard ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

markgreyam posted:

I'm not sure where the idea of there being standard ones came from, I'm just talking about the Gold editions, they're the only things I can see.

I'm presuming "Gold" is their way of saying "Buy once, never get reamed by endless figurine/playset purchases again". For the first time I'm aware of, a publisher decided to can a game with server connectivity/external purchases (did it store a remote account? I could be talking out of my rear end) but instead of just pulling it, they actually did some reworking to make it into a proper "Pay once, get everything" game. Everything is available and just unlocked by gaining in-game credits.

From my so far limited playtime and historical experience, 2.0 and 3.0 are worth it for content etc (1.0 is just a lot of real kids stuff; all the Avengers and Star Wars stuff is in 2.0 and 3.0) but 3.0 is $15 alone and the complete set of all three is also $15, so as far as I'm concerned you either buy 2.0 for $7.50 or just buy the complete trilogy for $15, because obviously if you're going to pay $15 for 3.0 why not just pay the same price at get all three.

Ah OK, you said "play to unlock everything" and I assumed that ment there is a version were you play and one that's pay to win aka "gold edition" as it is often available for free to play games. But gold means all content here. Got it.

• Locked thread