Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Reality Winner posted:

No way is there a real online store called Gamergate

I'm trying to decide if gamers gate or myrmologists trying to talk about gamergates online are having a worse past few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Will the "Steam servers are down" posts be more or less annoying than the "here's my haul" screenshots this sale?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Depth is $5 so if you like counterstrike but playing as sharks get it and add me as a friend

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Samuringa posted:

I'd like some opinions on my cart, just in case:

• Monkey Island 1+2 - I actually never played this despite loving point'n'clicks as a kid. Are they still good in TYOOL 2017 or is pure nostalgia? The new art sure looks dumb, I'm glad I can change back to pixels.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.
Monkey Island is bad, not good. The puzzles are obtuse, nearly-unsolvable without trial and error, it's paced GLACIALLY and you have to slowly walk all over the place. It's just bad and better puzzlers have iterated on it since. Get Antichamber if you haven't played that, or Portal.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Someone suggested Darkest Dungeon to me a while back. Games looks hella tedious, is this a proper view?

It is in fact super-duper-hella tedious, but you can change some values in some text files and 100% remove the grind so you only have to actually play the game and not re-re-re-play the game to get more mats.

Once you completely remove the need to farm gold or heirloom (by adding a 9 to the front of gems' values and setting the exchange on all heirlooms to 9-for-1 so you can create infinite and full-upgrade your town), the actual dungeon-delving parts are hella fun.

Then once you get sick of missing/not actually getting your dots, you can change the hit/infect chance %'s by raising them 100% each so they actually land on the level 3 monsters.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK, now I need the thread's advice:

Resident Evil VII or PREY?

Things to note:

1) I am a scaredy-cat who had trouble with Amnesia (and still haven't gone back after nope-ing out) so if things are all jump-scares and nervous tension I am right out

2) I am a terrible shot and actually pretty bad at hitting what I'm aiming at, as I grew up a console gamer.

3) Games with respawning enemies can gently caress right off, I'm not playing them. If I clear a room, it needs to stay cleared.

REVII looks like it might be too scary for me, but PREY sounds super-difficult with constantly running out of ammo?

Which of these games are better for a single playthrough? I never, ever, ever play games a second time, but I am all-in for tearing my ticket and taking the ride once-through?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

btw The Dweller is a cool 49˘ right now and is a breezy, funny puzzle game where you play as the spirit of the earth attacking and killing archaeologists by dropping rocks on them, eating them or scaring them into running off cliffs.

VERY highly recommend.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FauxLeather posted:

Neither of those games sound like your thing. I can't really recommend either to you in good faith you'll enjoy one. You might have the most joy with Prey though, it's less scary and you can clumsily whack things with a pipe.

Can I play Prey on easy so I can actually beat the game and enjoy it? Difficult games make no sense to me, no other media/art in the world does that. There's no "you can't look at the bottom half of the Mona Lisa until you beat this nearby ring-toss carnival game"

FauxLeather posted:

Neither of those games sound like your thing. I can't really recommend either to you in good faith you'll enjoy one. You might have the most joy with Prey though, it's less scary and you can clumsily whack things with a pipe.

Samuringa posted:

Uh, neither? RE7 is heavy into horror so that's ruled out by 1 and Prey has respawning enemies, limited ammo and tense surroundings so ruled out by all three.

:( thanks goons. Guess it's back to Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy. No AAA concensus GOTY for me, just fun walking simulators and RPGs that I like and enjoy.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

I'm more of a jump in, play for an hour, go do something else type of games. My attention span and ability to have to spend an hour prepping to play the game is long gone. Suggestions?

It takes you literally 5 minutes before starting to change some values in some txt files. If you get DD, I'll send you my versions and you can just overwrite them if you want. After you've done that, actually playing DD is fun as poo poo when you don't have to scramble for every piece of gold or drop vital food/torches to make room for heirlooms to take back to town.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Not sure how into Pinball you guys are, but PinballFX's stuff is STEEPLY discounted (even the brand-new stuff, fuckin' Bethesda pack didn't go more than 10% off in Winter, it's 30% off here, and it's the newest one.

The South Park pack is 74˘, and the Butters table is one of my favorites of them all. Alien pinball for $4 is dope too

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Awesome! posted:

bethesda is the 2nd newest. rogue one was the latest

And Rogue 1 is 50%(!!!) off

Junior Jr. posted:

I guess I might bite the bullet and pick up the rogue one table, not sure about the bethesda pack though.

Paranormal is one of my favourite tables, probably because it's easy to get to the mansion backglass minigame and get a bunch of extra balls and millions of points.
Friend me on steam and I will send you the South Park table (or a 75˘ table of your choice, but seriously, that butters table is amazing)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Junior Jr. posted:

If you can get me the Rogue One table, that'd be great.

Sent you some goon pinball. Enjoy and try and keep up w/ my high score!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

KyloWinter posted:

That's a loving lie. Books, movies, art, etc are hard to parse all the time rofl

Hard to parse is not the same as literally requiring you to complete a task to experience it in full.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This isn't exactly related to the Steam sale, but if you're adding games to your cart and budgeting like me, it's worth noting: The Diablo 3 Necromancer DLC comes out next week for $15. I had no clue.
they're loving charging for it? After getting rid of the RMAH where I could fleece rubes with clever arbitrage opportunities? loving hell.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Awesome! posted:

the price is stupid (i dont even really play it anymore but i might have checked out the necro if it was like $5) but the rmah was the worst thing in the world

the RMAH was great because I understood how to leverage gold into money and paid for beer by AH flipping, and when I got tired of the NYSE floor-trading game Blizzard put out, then I could go click on demons and have with the pack-in for the RMAH, Diablo III

I think Diablo and RoS combined cost me negative 50 bucks or so, before the RMAH closed.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hopper posted:

And what other good roguelikes are there? (I prefer good graphics, nothing with Ascii code like minimalist stuff, that's just not appealing to me)
Rogue Legacy is the very best Roguelike there is, and isn't brutally over-punishingly hard. Just remember: there is no time limit for each room.

Harminoff posted:

Man you should've just made the title of this thread Summer Sales 2017: THERE ARE NO DAILY DEALS, BUY BUY BUY
Unironically this. Or just probate every who asks about daily deals until the sale is over.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What is the best game out there that requires zero manual dexterity? For reference, Darkest Dungeon and XCOM 2 are both extremely my poo poo, and I adored the Beginners Guide and Gone Home

E: gently caress The Witness in advance though

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cheap Oddball Games you might have not known about!

Euclidean - $2.50. A super-moody and atmospheric 'falling simulator' where you plummet into a world of giant, Lovecraftian horrors trying to dodge enemies until you reach the next lowest platform, while a confused Elder Thing questions what you think you are doing. It isn't great, but it is a drat sight better than its spiritual predecessor, AAaaAaaA for the Awesome. If you want a truly Lovecraftian experience, and not just 'generic horror with tentacles', Euclidean is the way to go. VR support, but gently caress paying $800 for a virtual boy.

Detective Grimoire - $1.40. A fun, lightweight and (important!) fully-voice acting and cleverly animated P&C adventure game. Finish in an evening, but well worth the experience, especially at $1.40

The Dweller - 50˘. Archaeologists are going deeper into a cave to explore its secrets. YOU are the cave spirit! Crush the archaeologists by possessing a rock and falling on them! A cute little puzzle game where you get to scare Indiana Jones into running off a cliff. It's 50˘. Buy this game!

Pac-Man 256 - $2.00. Yes, it's a port of a mobile runner, but if you need a local multiplayer game that's a little bit twitch-gaming, a little bit strategy, and instantly grokkable by kids, it's a fantastic little time waster that actually plays with the Pac-Man mythology (such as it is)

HABITAT - $1.50 The best "tie a tyrannosaurus head and a Hot Dog Stand to the Statue of Liberty and tool around LEO until aliens show up to blow you up" simulator on the market. Now featuring an endgame!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 23, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Palpek posted:

More people should buy Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments which is the greatest detective game ever made and lets you freely accuse suspects and then choose if you want to go the official route or something more ambiguous. It's an amazing game when it comes to player choice and gathering evidence.

That's interesting because Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper was a loving atrocity, and I assumed they were from the same developer who's put out like 8 Sherlock games in the same series.

Anyone know anything about Narcosis? If VR existing means games will be made for that gimmicky poo poo instead of for normal well-adjusted, cool, smart and above-average-height gamers like the rest of us, then VR can die in a fire.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Let us pray:

Our Father, who art in Bellevue,
Hallowed be Thy games.
Thy vidya come,
Thy will be done on consoles as it is on PC.
Give us this day our daily card drops,
And forgive us our griefings,
As we forgive those who grief against us.
And lead us not into credit card debt,
But deliver us from EA.
For Thine is the vidya and the power and the glory,
Forever and always.

Gaben.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

oh thank god the DLC for Vega is on sale!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: ^^^ Yes. MGSV is STILL a great game, even after Konami tried to ruin it.

I have never played that game, but you are literally the first person I've ever seen with something negative to say about that game.

I dunno, shooting a grappling hook like spider-man actually sounds pretty bad, like Michael Jackson bad. Which is good!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Too Shy Guy posted:

I reviewed this yesterday. Short version is, it's one of the best-written and well-acted indie adventures out there. It's got a complex story running through a very interesting world that builds and builds without getting confusing or messy. The puzzles are pretty clever, but there's not a lot of exploration or flexibility; you're just playing through a very solid story. Overall it's one of the better point-and-click games I've played.

Has WadjetEye learned to let people adjust the window size yet or do you still have to play in a 400x400 window with literally no options menu to adjust sound or video?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Awesome! posted:

its not just you people have been asking about daily deals constantly

Daily Deals have been gone for over a year. Like, you would need to have not loaded Steam since 2015 to somehow not be aware of this blisteringly obvious fact, and yet it's at least thrice a page

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Don Bradman Cricket 2017 is HALF OFF on the Playstation Store right now, there's 1 guy in the whole world who bought it, and he's a goon streaming now if you're curious just what exactly cricket is.

Awesome! posted:

please note that watching cricket will in no way answer this question

this is also true

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 24, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

On another note, does anyone have recommendations for exploration heavy games? I love digging around and finding secrets and hidden stuff. I've played Hyper Light Drifter and loved it, for example. My laptop is old and clunky, so new and graphics intensive stuff like Prey is out. Any thoughts?
Guacamelee is loving amazing at letting you find secrets, and is funny (real-funny, not internet-funny) and good.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sokani posted:

I think most people mentioned the mods just so that they could say 'If you really hate it, it's removable!' so that no one misses out on a great game due to small factors. I think XCom 2 is great out of the box, and would only recommend the 'Stop Wasting My Time' mod that increases the speed of some animations and cuts down on voice lines that get repeated regularly. Bottom line is that if you liked Enemy Unknown, you will like XCom 2.
:yeah:

this plus the voice pack mod to make everyone sound like Overwatch characters.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Jumping is faster for horizontal movement than standard walk/run.

Also OP, please change title to Summer Sales 2017: No, there are no Daily Deals any more. Stop asking

Only mods can change thread titles. We're stuck with these questions forever

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

long-ish post, everyone in the Darkest Dungeon thread either already knows this and has done it or chosen not to, but for the sake of idle viewers and/or people who have given up on that grind, here's how to make DD playable (ie, just delve dungeons and skip the grind):

quote:

OK, first off, open file explorer and find a directory that looks a lot like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\campaign

There's a bunch of subfolders, I'm gonna list the changes you can make in order of how much they break the game's cycle (which is a good thing, because the amount of grinding you have to do is ridiculous). If you just want a little boost, only do #1. If you want to break the game over your knee to see the endgame content, do all 3.

1) Completely upgrade your town for free

Go to the heirloom_exchange txt file and change them to all give 9 for 1 exchanges (so you go infinite) Here's 1 line:

{ "exchange_from_type": "bust", "exchange_from_amount": 1, "exchange_to_type": "crest", "exchange_to_amount": 9 },

make them all look like that

2) Completely get rid of the gold grind

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\inventory

look for base.gem.inventory.items.txt

and add a 9 to the front of every one. so:
inventory_item: .type "gem".id "ancient_idol" .sell_gold_value 500
becomes
inventory_item: .type "gem".id "ancient_idol" .sell_gold_value 9500

This will let you get lots and lots of gold to pay for everything you want to do without actually breaking the game's economy

3) Completely get rid of the game's combat bullshit

This one's a little trickier, but if you've already done your editing on the first two, you should feel more comfortable with this. First, find C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DarkestDungeon\heroes

You'll see a big list of sub-folders. Pick one (or many) and check out their classname.info text file. You can manually set the accuracy & damage range of all their skills. When I was done with the grind of DD, I just set their level 4 skills to an extra 100% accuracy (to stop misses) or change the ranges on their class_name_weapon_4 damage values to make a super-deadly character (a range of 50-99 instead of 7-13 is pretty great)

I did this for like 2 classes because a) it's a little time-consuming and b) that let me *choose* when I wanted to a+ 100% beat a level vs. actually play the game.

I was able to do all these changes w/o my game breaking, and I did it mid-game and nothing bad happened. Obviously, create backups if you go tinkering, but otherwise - Enjoy!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What has changed in darkest dungeon? I played for awhile at launch and it was very atmospheric and cool-seeming, but also extremely shallow. You'd pretty much seen everything by level 2-3 and it was just doing the same things over and over - very much a style over substance game. Has that been addressed at all?

The new DLC adds a "your adventurers contract incurable vampirism, whose symptoms can only be abated (but not cured) via an extremely limited-drop item found while adventuring, and oh if they go to the tavern they can infect anyone else in the tavern that week"

It's still very much a style-over-substance game, but it has just so goddamn much style it's almost still worth it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Too Shy Guy posted:

Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden.

Abyss is great because it's basically a parody of Bioshock

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Enigmatis 2 is rad as hell. I'm a weirdo who didn't mind playing the full trilogy but 1 is an early Artifex Mundi effort and 3 is good but kind of a letdown story-wise.

IDGI, doesn't Radiant mode cut the grind down? Or does it not do enough? Or too much?

I haven't touched Radiant mode, but given the design philosophy of Red Hook, I'm guessing it tones down combat bullshit but still makes you have well over 1000 of every heirloom to upgrade your town and well over 200,000g to upgrade/heal your heroes... in a game that give 10-20 heirlooms and 1-2k gold per run, assuming you're perfect

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I have company coming over on Friday. Which is the best Jackbox?

Standalone Drawful 2

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shadow225 posted:

I was going to make a small effort post on one of my favorite games, Gunpoint, but I'm too sick.

Instead, I'm just going to tell you to buy Gunpoint. It's a great, charming 2D stealth game with a fantastic jazzy noir soundtrack. You can afford 2.49.

It is seriously great. You should all buy gunpoint.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Does anyone want a skull? I might have too many skulls.

e: I'm serious. Shoot me a friend request and explain why you need a skull, and you will get One (1) skull.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

Speaking Cook, Serve, Delicious, anyone try Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale?

Apparently it's an unbridled Capitalism simulator where you can viciously price gouge old men and children in order to pay back the loan shark trying to take your house. It also has some some minor dungeon crawling and extremely good reviews.

One of the few games I ever refunded, it is oppressively Japanese

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wow, don't buy IS Defense

these loving racist devs posted:

This game is our small side-project and is our personal veto against what is happening in the Middle East nowadays. As well as an attempt at resurrecting a pretty dead genre of games like „Operation Wolf” or „Beach Head” – in a state of the art, modern adaptation.

e: oh lol it's the Hatred guy nevermind

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ANRLizzy/wishlist/

Any opinions on this? I'm shying away from Automata for now since I can wait to play it until Invictus gets funds again, and being a WA resident sales tax on big-ticket stuff is no joke.

Most keyed in on NEXT JUMP and StarCrawlers, if anyone has opinions on those.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK sale is pretty much over for me unless someone buys a playset of Flagstones of Trokair from me so I can get NiER, so now what to play? I've narrowed it down to a list, but someone suggest one of these. Preference is to things that can be finished in one evening to get them into my "finished" category and off my HD.

(yes, some of this stuff is old, I have just never played any of these other than Thumper which is so good I want to finish it so it's on the list, baby)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

victrix posted:

The Final Station looks really neat, anyone played it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/435530/The_Final_Station/

It's definitely an experience. There are some rough edges where several gameplay things aren't well explained, but it is a bleak and story rich atmospheric thing if you're in the mood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Speaking of goon-made games, The Consuming Shadow is half-off, and is a product of Yahtzee, who made Zero Punctuation reviews and offered Lowtax first dibs. Lowtax offered to pay him in exposure, and he took his talents to South BeachThe Escapist, where they actually pay their writers.

It is EXTREMELY low-budget, just barely above the stuff that showed up on XBox Indie Games, and has some very bad and childish art assets.

That said... if you can get past that, it does a PHENOMENAL job at creeping you out. It very much feels like a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness; what you perceive not only may not be true, but may be the game actively loving with you/your controls.

No real jump scares, just excellent writing and mood/tone management.

• Locked thread