Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

heres the dude running against Randy "Ironstache" Bryce

You have got to be loving kidding me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

radical meme posted:

I'll never understand how people don't understand that having debt is not a bad thing; rich people, all rich people, if they're smart, have debt. The only way you can max out a personal credit score is by having debt, and lots of it compared to your income. Rich people don't pay cash up front for a home, a car, or just about anything else. The strategic use of debt by smart, rich households should be pointed out to any idiot that believes a balanced budget is a good idea.

lol if you think 'balanced budget' is anything but people who don't understand anything blaming the poors for their problems by suggesting that a morally upright nation would never be a dirty debtor poor. If you told them about the value of debt in a capitalist system they would either stare at you blankly and go 'huh?' or deflect by saying that its smart 'investment' when the rich carry debt and poor decisions by spendthrift idiots when the poor carry debt.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

radical meme posted:

I know what this thread's answer to this question is before I even ask but, is it better to accept the existence of the Stephanie Murphys and Joe Manchins of Democratic politics or purge them and watch their seats go to Republicans?

Kind of a rhetorical question for me since I know what most here will answer. It bears mulling over though.

I dunno. Primary them but fall in line in the general I guess? Its not a satisfying answer but its what I had to do with Clinton.

I guess it depends on if you think primarying bad dems 'weakens' them too much in their general by pointing out all of their flaws to potential voters, which is certainly *a* opinion you could hold I guess.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

E: So does this make Macron France's Obama equivalent? A clean cut genial technocrat who will oversee the decay of his party, do little to nothing for his people, and then usher in a right wing lunatic?

ThndrShk2k posted:

So what about Rush and Queen?

Pretty sure not liking Freddy Mercury is punishable by death.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

back to on-topic stuff:

Yes. The criticism. That was what was wrong, all the people complaining about it. Yep.

2020 primary is gonna be Zuck v Booker, isnt it?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Hey guys, after careful reflection I've decided to "pause" my baby eating habits for now.

People just kept complaining about all the babies, so I guess I'll stop until they can be adults about it

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

So is it racism to think Cory Booker taking money from pharma is a bad thing? Has that spicy meatball been floated yet?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Uhh, maybe your should take a break from this stuff?

My wife loses sleep over the state of politics, especially healthcare, and has to stay several days behind on news because the horror is too much to process in real time. I have to use my skills of ironic detachment to filter the insanity through to her and try to find reassuring things to say about stuff like the Senate healthcare vote. I'm mostly still mad about Clinton because trying to process the madness of Trump and the Republicans is still too much to even have real coherent thoughts on.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

docbeard posted:

He's made a few bad calls (attending a DNC fundraiser instead of the Women's March, endorsing someone who turned out to be pretty bad for some Democratic Party position in Florida, not being named Buttigieg) but his Good Dem / Bad Dem tally is still very very heavily balanced on the side of the angels.

(And lol if anyone actually turns against Randy Bryce for saying the words "america is already great".)

My purity test cut off point is 99.44% pure, and Randy is dangerously close to the line.

Keith is dead to me.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Balkanization sounds incredibly appealing.

Treading dangerously close to unironically advocating for letting the South secede. People who arent uniformly horrible are trapped in the Republican hell states and don't have the resources to leave.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Al! posted:

ok maybe keep out refugees from selected european nations where terrorists are known to come from: spain, great britain, france & portugal to start

SGBFPs? You need to include some vowel countries in there. Ireland and Austria gets you FIGBAPS, which just rolls off the tongue.

And lol if you don't think people wouldn't flee shitshows like Kansas by the tens of thousands right now if they had the money and support to do so

E: PIGBAFS

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 03:15 on Jul 1, 2017

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Australia then?

Look you need some vowels. Somebody has to get lumped into the Axis of Evil to make the acronym work.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Well yeah if you want the low hanging fruit

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

like, why didn't that bullshit get her rear end laughed out of twitter for that culinary crime against humanity?

I went through a cooking phase where I put everything in a skillet and called it a pancake, but I'm not famous so nobody but me and the long suffering girlfriend who had to pretend it wasn't awful ever knew

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

anakin could have freed his mom from slavery if he had built a murderdroid instead of c3po

There is no reason Qui-Gon couldnt have rescued Anakin's mom or gone back to save her after the battle of Naboo

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

other then he was dead?

I will admit, the prequels are real fuzzy and I can't bring myself to even feel like a bad nerd over it. Fine. Obi-Wan could have saved her. Or the Jedi Council could have pretended to care about their newest ward. Or literally anyone could have said 'Hey, we're a fantastically wealthy interstellar Republic with semi-sentient robot laborers coming out of our rear end, maybe human/sentient slavery is, in fact, bad and we should trade one of our many, many droids for this enslaved human'

I'm real mad about Star Wars apparently.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Remember when people were saying poo poo like after Hillary comes Michelle, then Chelsea, then Malia, then Sasha?

In America, any little girl can grow up to be president provided they come from one of two powerful and politically connected families. Political dynasties forever!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Zoran posted:

Also, your suggestion is "We should trade one of our many, many slaves for this enslaved human."

Droids aren't real people. Thats right, I'm droidist.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

readingatwork posted:

How to fix the housing problem:

1) Build a bunch of state-owned apartment complexes and rent them out at-cost.

2) That’s it.

3. Seize housing left empty by speculators and rent them out at cost

4. Seize the mansions of the wealthy and subdivide them into high density housing

5. Seize office towers and turn them into housing

6. Seize the means of production

7. Reduce demand for inefficient high cost housing via guillotine

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Let's all just eat bullets.

Best of luck on being born rich in the next life

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Same to you, friend.:tipshat:

Oh no, its the cold embrace of eternal darkness for me friend. I'm not getting back on this poo poo show ride.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why didn't Obama do "reconciliation" bills more?

Because he needed that political capital to buy his ticket to whore island

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Chuck is just furious he wasn't given the chance to sell out for a good price

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

Training a shitload more medical professionals and dramatically expanding ambulatory care facilities would probably be a decent start. Might take a load off of the ERs as well.

Seriously. Half the reason healthcare is so hosed in America is the chronic shortage of medical professionals our extremely dumb training pipelines cause. Somewhere along the way we decided 20 hour days for interns was cool and necessary to preserve the prestige of the trade

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its metastasizing

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Keith, I've got some terrible news for you buddy

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

readingatwork posted:

*Committee proposes cutting taxes for hedge funds and charging orphans a fee for not having parents*

Two changes before I'll sign on: 1. Make the orphan fees payable to the hedge fund. 2. Cut funding support to public libraries to make the bill revenue neutral. Gotta watch out for that debt!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

I'll have you know that I was on the committee to decide the color of the book the data consolidation proposal was to be bound in.

We kept it grey.

I was on the same committee. First we bought $100,000 worth of binders from a donor's cousin's Office Max franchise, then we paid a consultant a donor referred to us $250,000 to reformat the proposal to match each color binder and compile a report for the committee, then we took six months to read the report and decide on taupe, we spent $250,000 commissioning the same consultant to produce a taupe proposal for us, then we had another six months of discussion about whether or not taupe was culturally insensitive and ultimately decided to spend another $250,000 to re-commission the proposal in grey.

Someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. My political party is dying.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

skull mask mcgee posted:

lower the corporate tax and tax capital gains as income :getin:

Corporations are people friend, which is why they should be taxed using individual income tax rates.

Also the top marginal tax rate should be 100%, binch.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

loquacius posted:

Tito Jackson challenged Marty Walsh for mayor of Boston and nobody outside of a few poorer neighborhoods and the Internet ever heard about him

I saw a bunch of yard signs for Tito Jackson! I guess that means I'm in one of the poorer neighborhoods

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

technically bitcoin is deflating not inflating, which is uh kinda bad for a currency

bitscoins arent a currency, theyre tulip bulbs but even less useful. Also a bitscoin was 'worth' $2k two months ago, and is now 'worth' $16k. 800% growth in two months is a classic hallmark of a very stable commodity that will certainly hold its value for years to come.

My spellcheck recognizes 'bitcoin' as a real word and I am very upset about that

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

So Bitcoin is doing bad even though it's up 6000%?

It is extremely normal for very real commodities to suddenly massively increase in price in a short time frame because of the underlying fundamental value that a bitscoin represents

E: So yes this is good for bitcoins

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Bitcoin is like watching the history of finance in fast forward except with more libertarians, which makes it funnier when bubbles pop or exchanges run away with the money because the ones taking the losses are almost uniformly terrible people instead of well meaning workers.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh okay, so it actually will be able to stay viable after it starts deflating.

The future is being a wealthy homeowner because you didn't have avocado toast in the present and then the currency deflated so your pocket change is now worth millions.

Yinlock posted:

also bitcoin is somehow even more imaginary than real money which is already fairly imaginary, so it's less that they're taking losses and more that they're discovering the true value of their production(negative numbers)

Real money is, or at least is meant to be, a token representing allocation of labor and resources. Bitcoin is essentially me selling you a beanie baby for $1000, then you selling the beanie baby for $2000 to someone else on the promise they can later sell it for $3000. No real value was generated at any point and the only way to cash out is to find a new sucker to buy in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

bitcoin was never a currency it was always a commodity pretending to be the currency-form

The commodity being traded is the digital manifestation of libertarian wet dreams born from vast amounts of wasted resources and a desire to feast on others as a captain of industry. So really the purest possible expression of 21st century finance.

• Locked thread