Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

David Yankovich is a former intelligence analyst, and political operative working with both Democrats, and Republicans.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/david-yankovich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

there's tons of reasons to swap out Pelosi that you can make an argument for but fuckin GA-6 is the most candy-rear end one of them all

I think these stories are coming out right now because the centrists don't want Tom Perez to take any blame for this. It's a distraction.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Agean90 posted:

Pelosi is the establisment personified and legislators are waaay more important than the chair. if the center wants to shoot themselves in the foot then fine by me, let's hope a progressive can snatch the seat

They can't, and probably shouldn't just now. They can't snatch the DNC chair either but it's a lot more embarrassing for the story to be about him.

What has Pelosi done that gets everybody upset again? To me she comes off as what Clinton claimed to be, someone who would love to be more progressive but is pragmatic about it.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

well the dems arent doing abortion rights a big favor by constantly adopting the right's framing that abortions are bad and should be "rare" and that women who get them should feel distraught

Abortions rights are just gonna have to take a back seat then because, "There should be more abortions!" is a losing campaign slogan. Birth Control should be preventing nearly all unwanted pregnancies before abortion is necessary as birth control. People can have strong opinions on where human life begins or whatever but generally earlier in development is better if you have to end whatever type of life you are dealing with. I think that's where the vast majority of people who don't have a dumb religious opposition to birth control land.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you're not willing to make a positive case for abortion then you can't claim to be a feminist, because the fundamental underlying issue is reproductive rights and family planning. Not whether or not a fetus is actually a baby or should have human rights, which is a bullshit framing cooked up by reactionaries to justify continued social leverage over women.

That's might be one reason so few people identify as feminist even though they say they believe in the equality of men and women.

e: You could probably find plenty of alcoholic coders who will work for a discount if you let them drink on the job. Similar to hiring the homeless.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you don't think women should be able to control their reproduction, then you don't actually believe in sexual equality.

There is a difference between saying a woman shouldn't control their own reproduction and saying abortions should be rare. Like, I think euthanasia of pets should be rare too. Much more rare than it is, because the pet population is totally out of control and people are irresponsible owners. That doesn't mean it should be banned, because it's a necessary and humane procedure as well and individual animals don't have a right to life, they are property. Even groups like PETA perform euthanasia of animals regularly because it is a necessary procedure. I would just have to disagree if you try and tell me that you think it's bad to say, "There should be less euthanasia and we can get there by reducing the root causes that lead to it being necessary in the first place." It doesn't make any sense to say that unless you don't believe there is any value at all in the animal's life which makes you sound like a monster.

This hard line makes some sense from a purely political point of view though. The right is trying to strip abortion rights inch by inch. So never give up an inch.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I've talked about this before but I canvassed for Hillary and independents hated her even more than you're imagining.

It's not like we've been hiding this fact.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/877354994881634308
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/877522556152053760

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

I know the dems love themselves some blank slates, but I'm serious when I say there's absolutely nothing online about his past and present beyond the scant hagiography he presents.

I went down this wormhole after trying to find his campaign contributions but I can't recall seeing anywhere where he lived before moving to WI.

The huffpo description said he had been a political operative who worked with Democrats, and Republicans. What work did he do with Republicans exactly?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Telling the progressives who don't like Pelosi not to expect anything better if they get her.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

this is funny except for the dumb part where it suggests the DNC actually wants single-payer

also, who are people suggesting as a more progressive replacement for Pelosi? the lack of names is the reason why I'm loath to get on that bandwagon for now

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I mean, not really. But I definitely "settled" for Bernie to one degree or another. I wasn't an early or vocal supporter. I'm not as left as him and don't really consider myself a leftist in the sense people here use the term. I disagree with him on some issues. He comes off as a kooky hippy type leftist at times. But the centrist Democrats don't seem to understand that even if I'm not ideologically leftist I've witnessed conservative and moderate approaches on major issues fail spectacularly in my lifetime. I'm willing to give the left a chance at this point because everyone else is already a proven failure. Let the left have their turn to take charge and sink or swim. America isn't ideologically leftist in my view, but it may be ready to vote for an ideological leftist because the desire for change is real even if there is no clear vision of what that change should be. Thus, crazy orange racist moron President.

I wasn't a supporter for cult of personality or ideological purity reasons and I think it's way exaggerated how much that was what was going on. He's a sort of kooky but genuine old man politician with some sound ideas, not a messiah with a perfect plan for American redemption. I compromised on some of my personal political positions to support him. So did a lot of supporters.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Jun 23, 2017

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

the schism/faction thing in the party is irrevocable, at this point... there's not going to be any dem electoral victories for the near future bc so many berdies won't vote for bad dems anymore while lanyards are sticking with their corporate-donors-and-pragmatic-baby-steps-are-just-fine-and-who-needs-single-payer-anyway scripts.

I guess some of the congressional races in 2018 will garner votes from both types of dems, especially where there aren't primary contests, but the next presidential race is prolly a lost cause. Warren & Franken are kinda feet-in-both-camps (rather, they're perceived that way) but there's no way Perez et al. are gonna turn their trite pap and trump-bad reflexes into a united and victorious party in the next few years.

THANKS, OBERNIE

It's not a circular firing squad anymore, yeah. It's two armies having a civil war with each other while a foreign invader sacks their capitol. It's probably best for the Democratic party that it ends sooner than later. Since the centrists are inevitably going to lose, they really should have just surrendered after losing to Trump.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

It doesn't work that way though. If you want leftist policy from the left leaning party in the US you need people supporting that policy to win first. If everyone loses that proves nothing.

Okay, primary all centrist dems instead.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

As a millennial I would like to say Willa Rogers would have won.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Does he want to legalize it?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Does he want to legalize it?

From 2015:

quote:

Today Priscilla and I visited San Quentin State Prison. Earlier this year I read The New Jim Crow, a study of how the US justice system disproportionately criminalizes and jails Blacks and Latinos. We wanted to see first hand what prison conditions are like for people -- and we got a chance to speak with inmates and staff.

US jails hold around 2.4 million people -- about 25 percent of the world’s prisoners. Blacks and Hispanics are significantly more likely than whites to be arrested for possession and sale of marijuana and to receive a conviction and criminal record, even though the majority of marijuana users are non-Hispanic whites. Almost 40 percent of prisoners are black. More than half the people entering prison live below the poverty line. Our entire society pays the price for an unfair, broken system.

San Quentin has one of the best track records of people not returning to jail in the country. They run programs to teach valuable skills to help inmates find jobs and avoid criminal activity.

In this photo, I'm talking with inmates who are taking a coding course. I was impressed by their spirit to return to their communities and provide for their families, as well as the dedication of the staff to help them reclaim their lives.

Making our criminal justice system fairer and more effective is a huge challenge for our country. I’m going to keep learning about this topic, but some things are already clear. We can’t jail our way to a just society, and our current system isn't working.

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10102423008982371

Should have run in 2016. Zuck would have won.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

do you realize how many insurance company ceos would be out of a job if we nationalized the health insurance industry?

Train them to build solar panels.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

If only there was a candidate well liked by both Democrats and Independents who could unite those two groups of voters and start fighting for that future. Bernie would have won. And also legalized it.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

I'm under the impression it's a bit more muted in Philly. Pittsburgh it's rough, especially the immediate suburbs. The smaller cities like York and Lanc and poo poo are in the heart of it.

Philly has major, major, major heroin problems. It's just that it's had that for decades now so it doesn't stand out as much here.

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/addiction/A_hidden_heroin_hellscape.html

quote:

"I be scared sometimes," said Correa, 53, as she scratched at the injection wound on her neck. "A lot of people die down here, and they're letting them die because they don't want the cops to come, so they push the bodies to the side."

gently caress the drug war. gently caress the dems.

Philadelphia police recently made 176 arrests in a massive drug sweep. Here’s why it may only exacerbate the overdose crisis.

quote:

6 ABC wrote on its homepage that “the streets in one Philadelphia neighborhood are a little safer today.” That may be true right now, but evidence shows it won’t be the case for long. In a 2011 edition of the International Journal of Drug Policy, five researchers conducted a meta-analysis of 15 studies of illegal drug market–related violence. Fourteen of those studies reported an increase in violence in the vicinity of markets as drug enforcement intensified.

“Our findings suggest that increasing drug-law enforcement is unlikely to reduce drug-market violence,” the researchers wrote. “Instead, the existing evidence base suggests that gun violence and high homicide rates may be an inevitable consequence of drug prohibition and that disrupting drug markets can paradoxically increase violence.”

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Jun 30, 2017

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Baloogan posted:

what would you do about the AF? admend the constitution? A supreme court case? abolish the AF?

train them to build solar panels

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Joementum posted:

pitting groups against each other is twentieth century politics. universalism or gtfo.

Treating everyone as equals won't solve racism though.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

posting this in here because lol

It's like a white lady version of:

Stan: So, you like paddleboats?

Bret: drat right. I think it’s ’cause they remind me of a simpler, better time when white males had all the power, instead of just most of it.

Stan: I know, I hate how we now only have most of the power. The problem is the liberals’ generous social programs.

Bret: Exactly, they turned us into a nation of wimpy-

Stan: Flag-burning-

Together: Foreigner lovers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbJqumRiygQ

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 02:07 on Jul 2, 2017

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it was funny because maher immediately was like are you sure that's the best idea and he's dumb as hell

He supports legalizing pot so he is automatically smarter than centrist democrats.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Unity.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

All centrists democrats want is for Republicans to start not openly hating minorities because as soon as that happens they will be Republicans. It must be frustrating that the response to that demand is Republicans electing Donald Trump.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Centrist Dems and liberals, people who proudly supported anti-gay politics for their entire lives (only crazy radicals disagreed!), are apparently not pro-gay when the chips are down.

I'm currently reacting with shock and awe!

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 05:24 on Jul 2, 2017

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I can't fathom any way the dems can lose in 2018. But this has never stopped them from losing before.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Imagine if they decided not to spend any money on longshot races, and instead focused on winning a narrow majority. Like, that was their goal. Now imagine that they actively sabotage candidates that are too far to the left, and prop up carpet bagging centrists. Now imagine that their primary message is "russia russia russia, Trump is personally a bad man" and also that is their only message.

They still shouldn't lose.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

So an 18 year old finishes senior year and wants to get married and be a homemaker instead of working. They are now not allowed to graduate high school. hahahahahaha, what?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Becoming a homemaker at age 18?

It's not a life choice I would recommend. But, it seems like a very Republican response to see someone facing a potential problem in life and propose as a solution something that will disrespect their accomplishments, shame them, and make their life artificially more difficult while not actually helping them at all.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Rand alPaul posted:

Thanks to Hamilton, 1776 is no longer the worst Founding Fathers-themed musical.

What's the best?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

If only Hillary had done this for Bernie.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Mexico should only pay half of of the bill for the wall.
-Democrats 2018

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Joementum posted:

ironically Hillary would have won if she'd mentioned she was for dads rights

Yeah, because child support issues are a little hosed up and unfair even though they are mostly unavoidable. There is a reverse perspective thread on Reddit that is breaking people's brains right now.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6nm05m/update_girlfriend_now_ex_is_pregnant_and_wants_to/

The MRA solution of no responsibility isn't any kind of solution, but Hillary Clinton stepping up and standing up for men and proposing some reasonable reforms on child support would have rocked the boat enough to get people to maybe think differently about her.

It didn't have to be this issue. It didn't have to be legal pot which is my pet issue. She just needed to find one god drat issue to take a courageous not poll and focus group supported and calibrated stand on. If she just found one, she would not stand out as exactly who everyone who hates her thinks she is, and she couldn't do it. She lost by such a microscopic degree, it's insane. She only had to do so little to not be an epic failure, and she couldn't do it.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Because Hillary in total power rotted the establishment even worse than it was before. Obama didn't have these problems with connecting with the voters he needed.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Serf posted:

eliminate the need for child support by nationalizing childcare

Yes, of course. But the taxpayers need someone to persuade them that they should be the people supporting children that aren't theirs that their parents don't want to support. The Democratic Party has to do this job, not avoid it because it's understandably hard.

If they don't want to try on this or other issues, get the gently caress out of the way and let someone else try.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 13:29 on Jul 17, 2017

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

I mean that's basically the end game of every progressive piece of legislation ever right?

The only way you sell something like medicare-for-all or a 40% tax bracket to the rich and powerful is that it buys them some more time till the guillotines come out.

We can't sell it at all though. They still think they are going to send all the malcontents into the Democratic party supported prison system instead. Are they wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Skills to pay the bills, that we charged you for the skills.

• Locked thread