Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/where-can-democrats-win-georgia-6-ossoff-handel/

Democrats have gone 0-for-4 in these races. From an emotional standpoint, the outcomes have been disheartening for Democrats. From an analytical standpoint, however, they’ve ranged between “not bad” and “pretty great” for Democrats as compared with their results from the 2012, 2014 and 2016 elections — consistent with the sorts of results Democrats would expect if they were on track to compete for the House next year.

Good. News. For. Dem. Coin.

it's not controversial to say an election in which every seat is up for grabs might be more competitive than the elections in blood red districts that trump handpicked conservatives from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

the average house race in 2016/2017/2018 is in a light red district, not a true swing district. if every dem ossoffs they wont come close to taking the house

four dems already didn't ossoff

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

loquacius posted:

can someone explain to me how the Clinton campaign "went high" at all, while we're on the subject

it was all negative campaigning, that's what "going low" means. "Going high" doesn't mean "positioning yourself as in opposition to racism," it means "running a policy-focused campaign"

"when they go low, we go high" wasn't a clinton campaign line. it was given by michelle obama at the dem convention, probably a speech written by obama's staff although i dunno the specifics on how much autonomy is given to speakers at big dem events like that

either way, it was never connected to actual campaign strategy and only caught on as a catch phrase because it came from the only inspiring speech at the convention. which is why it's a little ironic that it's also caught on as a symbol of democrat incompetence, since i think it's still pretty good advice (don't get distracted by mud throwing, focus on the promises you intend to deliver).

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

whoa hey slow your roll, Michelle wasnt the only inspiring speech at the DNC

Rev Barber brought down the house

oh thats a fair point, i couldnt remember all the speeches so i was comparing to bill clinton, bloomberg, and the glass ceiling effect

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
let's trust the republicans on this one. pelosi's got to go.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Rand alPaul posted:

Planned Parenthood reminds me of Susan G. Komen, in that they really don't want what they say they want. But at least PP helps people. Susan G. Komen abandoned any pretense of being a charity years ago.

i can't even imagine thinking of susen g komen and planned parenthood being ideologically the same, i guess i've got a while to go before i hit galaxy brain

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
alex jones tweets cant even hit four digits on likes/retweets these days, its just pathetic. we're all very disappointed in him

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

my favorite part about the election is how Bill Mitchell still didn't manage to get a job out of it

he won't be annoucning his new position until nbc and cnn finish their bid war over his contract

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Dreylad posted:

bernies foreign policy wasn't that different from clinton or anyone else but no presidential candidate runs as a peacenik. the closest you get is isolationist but that doesn't mean much since the US can remotely bomb or drone strike anywhere now

this was conventional wisdom in the uk too until about a month ago

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

pretty good post up at newrepublic from sarah jones on democrats' annoying rear end email campaigns

the fact that campaign contractors apparently can't selectively message the senior citizens that this poo poo apparently works on and avoid everybody else that sees through it immediately really underscores exactly how worthless the data driven approach to campaigning is

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

list segmentation is a common strategy, obviously this doesn't just work on old people. i hate the emails too but it's hard to deny that it has raised a ton of money.

it's not hard at all. the e-mails only start after you make your first donation. track the number of people who donated again after the e-mails started arriving in their inbox, by age group and maybe split up by various points in the campaign where e-mail density went sharply up. then you can make a conclusion about whether or not the emails raised a ton of money instead of talking out your rear end about how great they were

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i guess tulsi trips idiots up because her bloodthirsty interventionism is just slightly off kilter compared to the rest of the democratic party, so she's mistaken for being against the warhawks, which she, uh, definitely isn't

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/880685621009948673

parliament legalized gay marriage despite merkel's objections

merkel's party on the left

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

im glad this guy is discrediting liberalism with the same intensity and vigor that trump is discrediting conservatism

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Yinlock posted:

the center can hold extremely easily, that's the problem

non-meaningful opposition is always high in demand

re-read some of obama's campaign promises

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
this doesn't surprise me much since david only announced as a kinda sorta joke about how close paul ryan's district was in 2016 without even having a meaningful contest

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
keith ellison is on twitter explaining that "better skills" represents free access to both education and vocational training and such; he felt that "better education" wouldn't have gotten the point across as well as it would have implied a more limited focus on just the grade school -> college track

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

this one's easy to figure out because trumpists are all frothing rage all the time (left side), whereas centrists place absurd faith on fake gotchas mattering more than policy (right side)

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ex post facho posted:

not a single word about healthcare or a living wage, anywhere

Willa Was Always Right

dawg he's rolling the plan out over several days

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

UHD posted:

sorry sarah but mccain is a turdy man

you don't seem sorry at all!!!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/890632887619403776

ben c jacobs fires back

(for reference)

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ftw

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ooh yeah hmmm yeah lemme just suddenly start respecting the opinion of any cnn employee

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm glad you've discovered this passion, and at such a convenient time.

lmao at goons coming out in favor of burning whistleblowers

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

sorry we killed your daughter :/ better luck next time

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

eh everything he touches turns to poo poo. maybe this will distance neera, joy, digiorno, et al from it

https://twitter.com/heerjeet/status/897560640105086977

out: "alt-left"
in: "dominance politics"

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Dreddout posted:

I'd really like to see a series where muggles overthrow an archaic wizard aristocracy, with technology.

you should read The Lies of Locke Lamora, it's suck zone as hell

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
people think hillary's really mad at sanders but that couldn't be more obviously false, right after the election she tried going about her business, she tried calling for unity, she tried blaming sanders. the last one got the most attention, so she's rolling with it. that's just how triangulating works

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
https://twitter.com/MaryAnnAhernNBC/status/905542262398050304

carlos rosa booted from lieutenant governor candidacy over disagreements over israel

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/10/the-first-white-president-ta-nehisi-coates/537909/
you have to be a delusional moron to believe racism is the primary factor that won trump the election

https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/796229362643152896?lang=en

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
racism extremely obviously was the primary reason trump won the election, and the reason that almost everything in american history that happened has happened. there's just many more smaller and easier to fix things about clinton's campaign that tipped three states in the midwest from blue to red

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
that hair is almost brock tier

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Condiv posted:

i'd be surprised if sam b didn't vote trump what with her support of segregation

are you really still on about that fake poo poo

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there's a picture of samantha bee enjoying a glass of hot chocolate with glenn beck that could not be more exemplary of how upper class journalists and pundits treat politics like a game, but for some reason the lunatic fringe just goes straight for the most tenuous fake story ever, every time

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Scent of Worf posted:

she got a ton of poo poo for that stunt she pulled with glenn beck. furthermore why are you acting like upper class people making sure poors don't have access to their kid's top tier schools is even remotely "lunatic" or "fringe" when it's a very common and well documented problem?

if it were well documented maybe there would be something from samantha bee on the subject instead of a talk her husband gave to the city council that was dumped at her feet

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

sam bee swinging with glenn beck has zero loving impact on peasant lives

sam bee interfering with school placement has a pretty loving measurable impact on peasant lives

sam bee did not interfere with school placement

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Condiv posted:

hmm yes, fake poo poo

also, what the hell is with your avatar

whoa, someone spent ten dollars on that

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i have avs off, so it could have been months ago

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011