Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meeksha

i did it all for the nookie
Ask me how!
-freb dust
I remember when facebook was new and was only accessible via a college email domain. I met quite a few friends by putting up what bands I liked, books I liked to read, etc. Then it opened up to the whole world and became a weight to maintain. But I had a 2 kids in the last 2 years, so now it's just a repository for putting up cute photos and having people get mushy about them.

I took a new job in February and moved to NYC by myself, wife and kids to finally be coming up next month now that the house has sold. Facebook hasn't helped me meet anyone new, and it was the way I met new people when I moved for college years ago, so... I think I forgot how to make new friends.

Now I've gone and made myself sad. That wasn't very chill. drat. :comeback:

-----

come on and slam and welcome to the jam

Thank you Heather Papps for the summer sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeksha

Ask me how!
-freb dust
It's kind of funny how serious, and accurate, this thread has become since its comedic opening. Also kind of funny how my intention with this reply was to Super Sweet's comment, "It's generally anti-dialectic, instead of going in with an opposing viewpoint and either forming a synthesis or arguing antithesis back and forth, you pretty much get kicked from the group, or if on Reddit, downvoted into oblivion and then kicked." This is super true. I'm actually doing it right now. Groupthink isn't typically a great thing.

I have met and made IRL friends from the days on ICQ and AOL Instant Messenger. I actually made a girlfriend and we dated for about 6 years on my high school's mIRC channel. I haven't made any IRL friends online since the early 2000's. As stated before, I just moved to NYC, and I haven't met or made friends with anyone outside of work. Trying to meet people, it seems like everyone is a lot more in a bubble than they used to be. It also seems like people are defensive when being approached by a new person. I'm from the South, so maybe it's just a cultural difference. I do think the constant sharing of bad news and crazy people hurting each other via social media has a big impact, though. Everything gets sensationalized and over-generalized to make it seem like everyone should be wary of new people.

I agree with precision as well... it does seem like the internet is regressing. This is twice in the same thread that I have made myself sad

:saddowns:

-----

Meeksha

Ask me how!
-freb dust

Starman Super DX posted:

That's another problem I have with facebook and new social media- it's not enough to just hang out with people but you also have to let the world know how much fun you're having at all times.

and in a forum where i have made myself sad twice, at least i find solace in knowing that somewhere else, someone is having the time of his or her life. i will be happy vicariously through them and their selfies.

just kidding.

-----

• Locked thread