Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal

I really don't like how the internet's become homogenized. Used to be you'd join a forum that was primarily about the thing you were interested and they'd have subforums where you'd talk about other things with the people who joined because their main interest was the same as yours. (like how SA is mainly a forum for a comedy site) These days everyone joins the same big sites and if you want to talk about cars you talk about them with car guys, you talk about movies with movie guys, etc. It feels isolated, instead of talking about your tertiary interests with people who share the same primary interest, you're generally talking with people who have it as a primary or secondary interest.

It's generally anti-dialectic, instead of going in with an opposing viewpoint and either forming a synthesis or arguing antithesis back and forth, you pretty much get kicked from the group, or if on Reddit, downvoted into oblivion and then kicked.

I don't know, modern social media sites just feel less inviting and harder to form an actual community around; old forums felt like small towns where everyone knew everyone and the big social media sites feel like a big city full of people who barely know each other. That's part of why with Twitter I mostly stick to following people I know from other sites or people who are well known on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread