Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision

by VideoGames
remember Friendster? ICQ? now those were cool. facebook is dicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision

by VideoGames

pork steaks posted:

I deactivated my facebook but I'm afraid it's just like keeping your account in a ziploc bag until you stumble upon it again one day and it's all gross and moldy but it still exists

but enough about my tripod page

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

precision

by VideoGames
all my writing/music/art is under my real name and it's an extremely (though not entirely) unique name, plus employers/co-workers looking me up. i never make Public posts unless it's just trolling people with music

----------------

precision

by VideoGames
One thing I've always found weird is that nobody wants to talk online anymore. In the 90s and early 2000s you could easily find tons of non sexual chat places to talk about whatever, now almost nobody does that aside from super niche discord or IRC channels.

It's like the Internet is actively regressing.

precision

by VideoGames
I'm quite sure I'm not the first to say this but cell phones and facebook have diluted pretty much the entire social experience. you used to have to remember the phone number of everyone you might need to call on a moment's notice (you could write them all down but lol at people that carried little black books), now your phone does that for you so you can "have more friends" but paradoxically spend way less time ever interacting with them. text messages and facebook give an illusion or approximation of social interaction but emojis convey like five orders of magnitude less information than body language and tone/inflection do, so you have a LOT more misunderstandings and arguments and when you get started on facebook/texting as a teen this does what i am quite sure is a large amount of damage to your social growth

younger people than me, especially drastically younger people (20somethings) seem to have internalized this so that even when you do talk to them in person, you'll notice that most of the time they adopt a dead-eyed stare as if they're just waiting for their turn to talk (reinforced by how text messaging works) or if they disagree with you they just keep interrupting you as if you're not even a human being

i've been with my wife for a little over 3 years now and not long after we got together she drifted away from all her early-20s friends because they all act like that. everyone is always just "waiting for something to happen". most of my younger friends think that it's practically an alien concept to come hang out at our house just to get high and watch movies, they keep checking their phones, it's depressing. if we all go out to see a band, my wife and i are usually the only ones near the stage with our phones put away (i usually leave mine in the car) and even when the music is super upbeat (shout out to my friends in knoxband paperwork) hardly anyone is moving or seems excited.

now i am very sad too :(

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision

by VideoGames
itt this explosion of speed and access also dominates even "good conversations" because someone will inevitably start looking poo poo up on wikipedia or checking the news sites in mid-conversation to correct minor factual details when the conversation is about general concepts. abstraction has taken a massive hit and it's funny to me that the old cliche of the "lazy stoner" was "guys who hang out together and TALK ABOUT poo poo" which is something i really miss. my best friend of all time (died 6 years ago), all through the 2000s we would get together at his house and even if nobody else was around we would literally just listen to music and talk and talk and talk and it was so good! even better when it was a full house. we even joked about how we were recording a show that they were watching in Andromeda.

if we had set up a camera we probably could have become youtube superstars lol

----------------

• Locked thread