Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
how come all these games look like trash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cubone posted:

oh wow Radiator 2 is 100% off
http://store.steampowered.com/app/385370/Radiator_2/

look how good this game is

looks like Cazwell: The Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6fkzQ6QKEk&t=15s

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Steam is selling garbage games I would never buy for $5 like Abzu which I get for free on PSN every month.

PC gaming sucks some rear end

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

I haven't bought anything in a Steam sale in around 3 years because i buy the good games from cdkey websites when they come out so i don' have to wait 5 years for them to be the same price on the Steam store.

Also, PC exclusives aren't very good for the past decade or so so i spend most of my time playing stuff on my PS4. Also, PSN sale prices on major games tend to happen about 6 months after release and are the same price Steam sales.

:same:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

cnut posted:

What would you guys suggest for someone who likes Wolfenstein/Doom/Singularity type games?

Check out the Shadow Warrior remake and its sequel, they're both good for different reasons but the original remake is more linear and level-based like Doom / Wolfenstein.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

I'm tempted to buy Fallout 4 even though my current Game Box 500 cannot play it

I guess I should wait

Idk, if you liked the skill and attribute system of the last 2 fallout games you might hate this one.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I was just about to buy LA Noire, but I saw some comments about how you have to log into some ancient, undependable server that never remembers your username and password every time you play it, and there are graphical / framerate glitches even on a gtx1070 and i7 6700K (very close to my specs).

I'm amazed that publishers are allowed to sell games that are fundamentally broken on newer systems.

Looks like I'm buying Human Fall Flat instead.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

la noire is really bad so you lucked out

that's a drat shame, I really wanted to see what all the hub-bub was about with the facial animations.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

i think i died once falling down some stairs too because like all rockstar games it controls like total poo poo

rockstar games and stairs have always been at odds with each other

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Heaven Spacey posted:

So basically the game is bugged on nvidia cards and renders at the wrong resolution then upscales to your actual resolution, resulting in worse visuals and reduced performance. You can download a fanpatch that instantly and completely fixes it, pretty much like the PC release of the original DaS.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/discussions/3/1334600128973500691/

Thanks, I'll stay far away from that game.

I got this alpha game called sword with sauce and it owns

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Usually I hate on indie games but this sale got mm to buy 2 that I really like.

Has anyone tried out this early access game called Empyrion? Looks like what No Man'y Sky was supposed to be.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
got too trigger-happy with the sale, bought some game called Miscreated and its so loving boring. I don't get the allure of these survival games anymore, minecraft is still the best one.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Xaris posted:

you should refund it if you've played less than 2 hrs

refund all bad games if you can

also yeah all the survival-crafting poo poo games are real bad. tho if you have some friends you can have fun with something like 7days to die

Yeah I initiated a refund, aimlessly wandering around collecting supplies does not entice me.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Away all Goats posted:

should I buy phantom pain?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Well I had $10 in my steam wallet after returning Miscreated, ended up buying the remastered Fable game purely for nostalgia.

Was Fable 2 better or worse than the Fable 1? I never played it but love the first one.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
People who think the original Fallouts are better than New Vegas are dumb, wrong, and should take off their rose-tinted glasses

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

What are modern standards exactly? Crafting, handholding, exploring an empty sandbox and an endless amount of fetch quests?

How about not spending 2 hours on the opening section of punching rats? Or a terrible interface?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I mean that sucked but it's better than spending spending 14 hours picking up garbage from lifeless abandoned homes. You're kinda comparing poo poo and vomit here, maybe you're right but who cares???

This is why New Vegas is the best Fallout game, the wasteland was teeming with hidden treasures, monsters, and not empty houses. Each area had its own communities and atmospheres.

F:NV > all other fallout games

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

numberoneposter posted:

im looking forward to playing it ive heard good things

make sure you install the mods made by people that spent several hours modelling human genitalia.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

are you talking about skyrim?

...It took you 2 hours to get through Skyrim's tutorial?

You're just not very good at modern videogames are you?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

back at you, champ. fallout 2's tutorial is a good 15 minutes long.

Fallout 2 is not a modern game.

Arcanum has very similar gameplay but beats Fallout 2 in every conceivable way.

For instance, I can actually kill the mobs at the beginning of the game and it doesn't take hours.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

you're right, it's an old game. killing things doesn't take hours in fallout 2. arcanum has abysmal game balance. you can win every fight by spamming the first spell you get in RT combat. technology is next to useless. the turn based combat is just as slow as fallout 2's.it was full of bugs at release and they abandoned it like after a single patch that barely made it playable.

uh, what's it better at again?

better gameplay, pacing, and dialogue mostly but I see you live in a parallel universe so there's no point arguing about the turn-based combat.

You must be a No Mutants Allowed member or something.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Was combat in new vegas all that engaging to you? I still felt like I was playing a mushy mess. I mean shooting then nuke gun or whatever was fun but mostly it was sorta bad feeling guns or punching or whatever. Like, fallout 2 combat isn't something I reminisce fondly about but I didn't exactly look forward to combat sections in new vegas either. I mean it's better than godawful elder scrolls combat but that's not saying much.

I was talking about arcanum in that post.

The combat in fallout 3 was pretty bad, in New Vegas they let you use iron-sights with every weapon which helps the FPS crowd. New Vegas was at least an RPG/FPS hybrid, fallout 4 is barely an RPG.

One of the cool things about new vegas is how you can avoid combat. You can dress up as a raider or NCR to blend in and sneak by enemies, combined with stealth and a high persuasion you can pretty much get out of any combat scenario.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

really queer Christmas posted:

New vegas combat is a lot better with project Nevada which lets you set how much damage and health everything has. Makes things a lot more interesting and combat a lot more deadly without being stupid

I thought Survival mode already pretty much did that? Basically making it like 'realistic' mode in the original Deus Ex.

There was a mod made by one of the devs on NV that made the game a lot more challenging and I usually run with that and just a few other tweaks when doing a playthrough.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Josh_Sawyer%27s_Mod

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

really queer Christmas posted:

The only cool thing survival mode does is make stims heal over time. It adds stupid hunger/thirst/sleep meters that have to go down, and adds weight to ammo. As well it makes companions able to permanently die. It's real bad and unfun without making combat any more difficult or less bullet spongey.

I thought one of the big things was your damage and enemy damage is multiplied by 2, I guess my brain just imagined that or I had a mod.

mike12345 posted:

Isn't Skyrim some babby game for reddit idiots?

Yeah and it apparently took some old-school pro videogame man 2 hours to get through the tutorial.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

is there honestly any AAA crpg without a tutorial similar to the temple of trials, even if it's a bit more engaging?

Arcanum.

You crashland in a open area, meet some priest who's on your dick, then you can stay around and pick up some supplies and fight low-level wildlife or just go to the next area and continue the journey.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

ah, arcanum. the prime example of modern video game design.

I mean if you're talking about CRPGs made today there's like... Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun? Neither of which have a lovely tutorial like Fallout 2.

Fallout 2 has a bad tutorial man idk what else there is to say.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Deus Ex had the best tutorial level idc what anyone says.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Quantum Break is $20..... Should I?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I just bought all the Jedi Knight games, knights of the old republic, and republic commando for $12

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's ok, I know how crazy people get over star wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDE6ER5P53k&t=19s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
since I bought all the jedi knight games, uhh, where do I start?

• Locked thread