Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Serak posted:

Yeah, it's pretty hard for me to believe that a corporate property like Star Wars, which probably has more industry riding on the success of any particular movie than any other franchise, doesn't have producers examining the dailies on the regular or that Kathleen Kennedy needed the star of the film to speak up and tell her that maybe things weren't going to plan.

you're assuming the producers aren't idiots or taken in by whatever narrative miller and lord were peddling. having multiple producers looking at this might not help at all, depending on how much in the way of groupthink exchanges was going on. corporate hierarchies are not perfect informational channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I liked Rogue One well enough. It looked and felt like it fit in the classic Star Wars universe and that's honestly all I needed for a couple hours entertainment. I wish the characters had been more fleshed out, but it serves to lend some more weight to the plight of the Rebellion, and it was pretty cool to have a new story set with classic storm troopers and the like. I think people like RLM think the film is more cynical than it is, and while it may not be a mindblowing film, it's got a lot of cool scenes and I liked the sarcastic robot.

while i generally agree some things were pretty cynical like diversity bingo and the reshoots they did because people might've been upset about terrorism (iirc there's still one vestige of this where a guy just blows himself up in the first attack on the stormtroopers which was funny). also cutting the longing tender stroke the dying asian blind dude gave his boyfriend for the chinese audience lolol. i gather the reshoots are what led to the main chick's really hammy speeches. vader going apeshit on the rebels in the corridor was cool because it was totally unexpected.

• Locked thread