Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Hey did you guys know the Penguins traded a future skilled player and current kind of skilled player for a guy that's not an NHLer? Cool poo poo, good trade on their part of getting rid of some of that depth for no reason at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jordan7hm posted:

They didn't trade a future skilled player. This trade is bad because Reaves is a negative player. That's it. Sundquist is not a potential skilled NHLer and the guy they were going to pick at 31 wasn't any more likely to be a skilled NHLer than the guy they picked at 51. (there's a good chance it was the same guy being picked either way, team draft boards are weird like that sometimes).

That's what I said except you took out the part where the guys St Louis got might be good (because they might be good)?

There's also a difference between sure he might've been available at 51 and he might not be better than the guy at 51 but either way he's a guy projected to go in the top 20 who fell to 31 and was ranked much, much higher on some lists. The Blues might've just stolen a guy and gotten Reaves off their roster at the same time.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Bring Yak to Toronto and have him play with the young fast guys in Babs' all fast all offense system and see what happens. Worse comes to worse Josh Leivo outplays him and we waive him. Best case is he finds chemistry with one of the rookies and lights it the gently caress up.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Wonderllama posted:

This is a weird FA season where it's just all of us in here hoping our team doesn't sign anyone of the available players.

NHL offseason FA - no news is good news.

There's upwards of five players I want the Leafs to go after and if I know the Leafs they aren't pursuing any of them.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Levitate posted:

so the new arena is already cursed

For every year Detroit made the playoffs they will be forced to endure triple without

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

They're delusional

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

So near as I can tell Florida is incompetent top to bottom and deserves to be laughed out of their arena.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Kulikov is at best a mediocre third pair and Pysyk at best is a second pair defenseman.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Pish posh graphs and bars and colours and numbers

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

hifi posted:

the hero charts don't include penalties which is one of the major knocks against pouliot too

He's taken 1, 1, and 2 more penalties than he's drawn the past three seasons.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

hifi posted:

and if he would cut the poo poo out then he'd be a better player

You could say that about every player in the NHL that takes penalties

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

They can sign Thomas Vanek too and reunite them.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

TeamJesus posted:

Giordano - Dougie Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Bartkowski

Yes please and thank you.

Michael Stone sucks and Hamonic was so so last year. I know nothing about Kulak other than why didn't Vegas pick him over Deryk "Vegas Baby" Engelland who is by far the worst player they picked in the expansion draft.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Nilsson is good and probably the best goalie available.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

JawKnee posted:

I don't dislike it, but given the rumors of what Miller is going for for one year, would have preferred him. Unless Nilsson is some kind of 'oops, turns out Markstrom is actually terrible - what now?' insurance.

Also, went and looked at the nucks capfriendly page and remembered this:

hahaha gently caress you benning, you rear end

Now THAT'S a core you can build around

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

ThinkTank posted:

The Avs thought they were ready to compete a few years ago and brought in Iginla and now the team is a mess. They pivoted too soon. With the benefit of hindsight that much is obvious. I'm not saying this is an identical set of circumstances, but you can't ignore the parallels.

Big money free agents can supplement an established core looking to make the next step. They can be a giant boat anchor for teams not there yet. I think the Leafs are very much in the latter camp.

The avs were a lovely possession time run by a fuckwit coach that got lucky with shooting percentages and goaltending. They had all the warning signs of a team playing way above their heads and they did nothing to address it beyond bringing in the godawful danny briere and the good offensively, poo poo defensively Iginla. All the while they ran the same poo poo forward depth and defense and couldn't hack it.

The Leafs this year are a good possession team run by a competent coach with an average PDO. There's no reason to assume they're going to come crashing back to earth. They also have a wealth of prospects coming to shore up the roster over the next couple years. Their rebuild is entering the stage where they should start building towards a contender, Marleau on a short term contract is an easy way to try and accelerate that, especially if he ends up in Zach Hyman's spot. They're also likely ditching Ben Smith playing any minutes with the much better Moore coming in. Polak and Hunwick are gone replaced by the somewhat more competent Hainsey and Dermott or Marincin.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Koopa Kid posted:

I'm fine with paying a bottom 6 grinder like Hyman if they're decent at it, and he appears to be.

If Leafs fans seem to dislike him it's because he's a useful 4th liner who was stapled to the best player on the team all season, which is less than ideal but not really his fault. If he was slotted in a role more suited for him nobody would mind.

It's kind of like how people don't bitch constantly about Tyler Bozak anymore now that he's not leading the team in minutes.

Yup this is exactly my problem with him. He seems like he might be a solid bottom six guy but on an offensive line he sticks out like a sore thumb with his hands of stone.

One thing to be wary about with his hero chart is the Matthews line got cushy as hell starts in the ozone and rarely in the dzone while the Kadri line took all the toughs all the time against top comp. His shot gen numbers are probably a little skewed.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I like nakeds

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Canes 'fly under the radar' because they are incredibly loving cheap and never spend to the cap, a fact that Jim Rutherford trashes them for. They tied his hands when he managed there. $5.4m for a nobody defenseman seems like a stupid "quit calling me cheap" impulse measure.

Slavin is good.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Citizen Tayne posted:

Call me when he's got a verifiable record. Schultz is making $5.5m a year and he's got two Stanley Cups and he's playing for a capped team.

Carolina never ever spends to the cap.

I forgot cups were the only way to judge talent

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

JoelJoel posted:

It's the second one. Also the only reason anyone has ever consumed the food at Tim Hortons.

Donuts are good

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

corn on the cop posted:

wasn't curtis lazar touted as a safe pick

Safe pick is codeword for Canadian kid with NHL size and low skill ceiling that might become a useful bottom-end player who can hit.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

ThinkTank posted:

They didn't give up physical assets, but cap space is a commodity in and of itself. Considering JVR's contract is up in a year's time, it probably means the team can no longer fit him in under the cap. Is one year of Marleau worth losing JVR next summer? I'd argue no.

With Bozak, Komarov, Robidas and Lupul coming off the books next year along with likely leavers Marincin and Marhcenko combined with the freed up cash from the Gleason/Cowen buyouts expiring gives them a bunch of space next year to work with. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to afford JVR if they want him. They have him, Nylander and Bozak replacement (Thornton?) to figure out next year.

ThinkTank posted:

He's also on a 35+ contract so the full amount counts against the cap if he retires early. The only relief they can get is to buy him out.

Actually its been confirmed that 35+ players do not get salary relief if bought out. Marleau will cost the Leafs the full $6.25M per year he is owed regardless of whether he is bought out, retired or put on LTIR.

This is 100% not true in that they get cap relief if he's put on LTIR. It's literally what they've been doing with Robidas on Robidas Island to get him off the books without buying him out or letting him "retire."

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

hifi posted:

Yeah lets do this

wow those are the worst things ever

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

FBS posted:

We're two days away from starting August, The Worst Month, and I'm on the Gamecenter archives trying to cure my withdrawal.

What were the most memorable games from your team's regular season? Gimme some fun games to go back and watch.

Opening night Toronto v Ottawa was great for the 4 goals. The Centennial Classic was good, went to OT. Toronto Vancouver on Nov 5 was nutso, that's the game where Kadri hit Sedin and then it erupted into nonsense. Toronto/Pittsburgh on April 8th was intense as they tried to clinch a spot, the players were so giddy. Toronto/Boston on Feb 4 was amazing as they went up 4-1 after a Nylander hat trick only to have the game tied.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

checksin posted:

they lost that game iirc

yellowcar posted:

The Leafiest debut of a generational talent.

They literally couldn't have scripted it better. 4 GOALS...and the Leafs lose the opener anyway. Literally no Leafs fan I knew cared about the loss though because AUSTON loving MATTHEWS was here.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

glynnenstein posted:

I pay for http://hockeyviz.com/ pretty pictures but most of it is free.

I stuck with Corsica and Puckalytics for awhile and haven't really checked out this site. Can you give me an example what the season summary and season skater cards look like? I can't find an example on the site itself.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Schremp Howard posted:

Everything we see here though is anecdotal or snapshot moments of people watching a singular event. There's no telling if the people who watched Oshie score or watched a random game go on to be NHL fans, and the league doesn't have the evidence to suggest that they do. The fact that they can't capitalize on those moments may be the league's own fault, but it's hard to argue with their standpoint of not wanting to shut down the league for three weeks and not get any monetary benefit from it.

I mean I started actually paying attention to hockey specifically because of the 2010 olympics. I watched the best of the best go at it in an awesome show of emotions and skill.

And then I started watching the Leafs.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Ginette Reno posted:

Jagr not signing is almost certainly because of cap, yeah. He's probably worth what he's asking for but committing 3-5m to a guy that old is a tough sell.

There's so many teams vying to be competitive next year with cap space to burn on a really good top 9 forward idgi

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

That is the worst list of predictions ive ever seen.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

It's so......beautiful.........

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Aphrodite posted:

That's only true in American born dominated sports.

Can't tell if sarcastic or objectively wrong.

corn on the cop posted:

travis zajac being out for half the season sets the devils up nicely for the 2018 draft

woof, glad I decided against picking him on my Awesome Fantasy Hockey Team

*waits for news of Stamkos' leg being amputated*

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

We planned on Victoria and almost had a show there but it fell through. I badly wanna go there. Not playing there was not by choice.

You can play in my backyard for upwards of five minutes until the guy upstairs gets his bat.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Poor Cody Franson

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

eXXon posted:

In case you missed it, Franson is on a PTO with the Hawks (as rumoured months ago) and Polak with the Leafs.

If I had to choose I think I'd rather have Franson back.

I'd take Franson over one legged no offense dumb penalty machine Roman Polak any day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Schlesische posted:

Can't wait to watch Polak get first pair minutes again because Mike Babcock has to make one mystifying selection.

No they have Ron Hainsey for that now!

• Locked thread