Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goat posted:

The reaves trade was dumb and reaching at #52 was also dumb, please retire before free agency, GMJR.

Ryan Reaves is gonna beat the hell out of some scum this season. I'll trade a first for pound town baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Philly...you've been called out. Reaves aint takin none of your poo poo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

malice in the palace part 2

gently caress yeah

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
e: oops

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 25, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

The Penguins trade was bad but he didn't really get traded for a first rounder in the normal sense. He got traded for Sundqvist and the Pens had to drop 20 spots in a draft where they were going off the board anyway to make up the difference in value.

This is pretty much where I'm at with it. If they were going to go way off board with their pick anyways, then moving down is fine. As for Sundqvist, I thought he looked like dog poo poo in his call-ups this year, but I did like the way he played when called up last year. I think there's some potential for him to become a good 4c.

And I will enjoy Reaves smashing Dubinsky and Wilson in the face the moment they look at Crosby the wrong way.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

You don't trade for punchmen, you sign them to a league minimum deal in the offseason.

You sure as poo poo don't trade assets to get one who is, by all accounts, a horrible hockey player. gently caress, you're trading away a young player (even if he is a middling prospect) and dropping 20 spots in the draft and Ryan Reaves is the best guy you can get in return? The trade was stupid, illogical and indefensible on every level and in every conceivable way.

I'm not defending it as a good move, I'm just saying I'm okay with it. It's not gonna kill the Penguins.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

yall are really concerned about who is going to play 4th line for a team whose biggest obstacle to a 3rd straight Stanley Cup is fatigue

Crosby's arms are tired from lifting the cup so much

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hakstol has that same panicked look permanently affixed to his face that I remember Mike Johnston having. I can't believe the Flyers haven't fired him yet.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

Andreychuk was a one dimensional winger whose best seasons were spent tapping in back door power play goals from Lafontaine and Gilmour. That said I do not know if this qualifies him for the hall of fame as I do not understand how the hall of fame works.

Cam Neely is in, so yes

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
They put in the wrong Goyette. It should have been Jacques.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
He doesn't have the decency to be a self made millionaire. He operates a business founded by his father.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sullivan would either scream at Yakpuov til he hosed back to Russia or he'd mold him into another irritating fast Penguin.

Yak should definitely sign for either an ultra poo poo team where he gets lot of ice like the Devils or go to someone really good who can deploy him properly and build his value that way.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yak did have 31 points in 48 games once upon a time. You'd think a good coach could get something out of that. Going to St. Louis was a horrible place for a guy like him to go. Hitch is death to young players.

He's so bad now though that he probably needs a coach to completely break his game down and remake him into something else and I don't know if any team has the patience to do that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

a false posted:

ak bars kazan

That doesn't really fit the making him into another kind of player thing

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

This kind of thinking led the Leafs to trade Tuukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft.

It also led to Justin Schultz and Ian Cole being back to back Champs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Sure, and I wouldn't mind Yak. He's a no risk signing considering he'll be a free agent, but it's almost like people expect he'll suddenly round into form as a top six scorer if given the opportunity. He's a 4th line forward and not a very good one, people really need to temper their expectations on him.

Yeah I don't think it's fair to set any expectations for him being that but I wouldn't write off a guy of his talent until he's over 30. Odds are he's a bust because most guys don't turn it around after being so lovely in what should be their prime years but there are definitely teams that are so offensively starved they should make that gamble.

Instead lovely teams will continue giving a ton of ice time to gritty two-way players who have no talent or future in the league but hey at least they play the game the right way or whatever.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

This is a weird FA season where it's just all of us in here hoping our team doesn't sign anyone of the available players.

NHL offseason FA - no news is good news.

It's a pretty awful FA crop. I can't wait to see what team gives Bonino way too much money. *checks watch* Oh poo poo it might be the Penguins

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

The Yak we saw last year will never be a 20 goal scorer in the NHL unless he's getting first line and first PP minutes and playing with elite players ala what you might call the Pascal Dupuis experience.

Dupuis at least brought good two-way play to the table to go along with being a body Sid could bank pucks in off of. The Yakster isn't good even at that currently.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I think the Avs did try and rebuild through the draft, they just got ahead of themselves after their miraculous 2013-14 when they jumped from dead last to 2nd in the conference. It's basically what the Leafs did last year (but even more so because the Avs were a 112 point team that year :psyduck:) and why Lou and co. should be careful about pivoting the Leafs to win now at this point. Fluke seasons up or down in the standings happen. It's about sustainability, and so many teams get way too excited about one lucky playoff appearance and screw themselves over as a result.

Ditto for the Oilers. That team hasn't really convinced me they've turned a corner properly yet.

If it weren't for Mcdavid I'm pretty sure the Oilers would be a bottom 10 team. That roster is rear end. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them miss the playoffs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Jordan Staal is really good.

Yeah he's worth 6 million. He's a possession beast.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's not even just yinzer yokels, it's Mark Madden and Mark Madden Lite Colin Dunlap. If Kevin Stevens isn't famous he'd be in prison. He's lucky to be alive tbh, his drug issues are by no means recent or slight.

He's been given a ton of chances for sure. I hope he turns it around for good. I'm sure it was fun to get coked up and win cups and fights earlier in his life but come on dude you're in your 50s now.

ThinkTank posted:

If the stars align Sprong will have a handful of 40 point seasons in his career. That's if everything goes right. He's a good but not amazing prospect. If you can get a legitimate top line forward for him, you make that move in a second. Duchene had just completed a 67 point NHL season at the age Sprong is now.

Sprong was ranked 49th among prospects not in the NHL in February. He's like a B+ level type at best.

http://www.tsn.ca/test1-1.677389

Yeah I like the way he's trending but Duchene is a good NHL forward now who is much better than Bonino. Our center depth would be pretty studly with him.

There is the issue of finding pkers/d-zone draw type guys in the event you pick up a Duchene. You don't want to have to force feed Crosby all the tough d-zone starts and obviously Malkin/Duchene you're gonna want deployed more offensively.

Old Man Cullen please step right up and take 80% d-zone starts again thank you.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

My gm just traded a first for Ryan Reaves though so glass houses and all that

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

It would be very funny if the Rangers snipe a FA that Buffalo goes after hard two summers in a row.

Is it really sniping when everyone and their mother has assumed all year that Shattenkirk is signing in New York?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well I guess Schultz will be at least 5 mil as well given that Orlov contract

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

a false posted:

We Have Our Own Analytics

A comment that ranks right up there with "But does he fit our culture?"

They did get Kunitz who is a fancy stat darling though so I guess they balanced things out just a lil bit

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Yaya posted:

https://twitter.com/edmontonjournal/status/881617248783409152

No points for guessing which ownership lapdog wrote this article.

The more money he takes the less Chiarelli has to spend ruining the team with Kris Russell contracts. If anything Mcdavid is helping them by taking more money.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Ovechkin, and Holtby is still enough to get that team into the playoffs but this off season the Caps have lost two top nine forwards and three top six defensemen. That's rough.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Apparently JR has talked to five different teams about trading for a 3c, so I guess that's the route he's more likely to go than signing a UFA.

He must be pretty confident Cullen is coming back because I've heard nothing about them looking for a 4c.

Habibi posted:

In what universe does a player look at Montreal and think, "Yes, that's a team bent on winning."

I don't think desire to win is the problem there it's uh the blueprint.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

McDavid literally turned that team around himself.

Pretty much considering just about every move Chiarelli makes is moronic

e:

Jordan7hm posted:

Gretzky scored 130 pts in 94 and won the Art Ross and the Kings still missed.

I think the way the league is now though it's tough to see Crosby or Mcdavid not being able to get most teams into the playoffs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

I wanna know what drugs they put him on after game 4 vs the Rangers because he looked absolutely done. Then suddenly he's back and being the best player in the NHL

The anti pain drugs NHLers have access to are really fuckin' good

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Mike Trout is generationally good but so is Crosby plus Sid has Cups baby. Trout might have the same war as Mickey Mantle or whatever but he doesn't have the rings. And I bet he doesn't even dunk his donuts.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Mike Trout doesn't even have the individual accomplishments Ovechkin does, who similarly has no championships and it's not his fault

Mike Trout is more about the overall package than any one thing he does. His value is off the charts because he steals bases at an efficient rate, slugs well, hits for average well, walks a lot, and is an awesome fielder.

He's not necessarily gonna lead the league in any one category but he's really fuckin good at everything. Not even sure there is a good hockey equivalent for that. Datsyuk or Bergeron I suppose, but Trout is much more valuable than even they are.

e: But seeing as this is the hockey thread I will demur and agree that him and Crosby are uninteresting sports robots but I guess that's why they are so good

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Connor needs 4 Cups to be better than so get to work kid

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If Mcdavid and Crosby really wanted to make the most money anyways they'd just sign in New York and get an absurd amount of endorsement deals.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

a false posted:

the mediocre rangers sb nation blog has been doing player report cards and they did theirs on nick holden today where he predictably got a pretty poor grade and they included a video of nick holden making a bad play; but what is interesting here is what jesper fast does on the play:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/NM6...olden_pinch.gif

look at fast trying to push stepan into the play (too late to have an effect) - is that a regular thing that players do that i've just never noticed? is there any way for that to ever be useful? do you think stepan was even aware that it was a teammate doing that? i'm really confused by everything that is going on here

Yes that was actually Trevor Daley's main job when he didn't have the puck as it was the only way to get Olli Maatta's motor going.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sully owns. Tocch owns too and I wish him a fine time gambling and coaching that young whippersnapper team to be a little less lovely.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah Game 7 of the Pens-Caps series was won almost exclusively by his coaching. (Or lost by Trotz's, depending on how you look at things.)

That was the game the Pens realized they could use the middle of the ice instead of just the boards and the Caps were completely flummoxed by it since their possession game was predicated by aggressive pinching down the boards all series.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

I think when you get to the playoffs, a coach's ability to adjust and not be too conservative can make a huge difference. Trotz seems to be a good coach who tends towards being conservative when things get tough. Good teams in the NHL now can punish you for being too conservative

Bylsma was the worst at adjustments. They would play stretch pass hockey to the death and if didn't work it was because the Pens didn't "get to their game".

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

i mean I think it can be a tough thing, especially in game adjustments, because if you plan and practice for one thing and then have to try to change that on the fly it's not always easy. And also sometimes you don't want to change what you're doing just because another team is trying to get you to do so (at least IMO) So, it's a bit of analysis about what is happening and how to deal with it, but repeatedly beating your head against a wall p robably isnt a good idea

Well yeah but there are certainly situations where it is warranted. Sullivan clearly had the Pens adjust their breakout for game 7 and it worked to perfection.

Or maybe I'm giving him too much credit and the Pens just found it within themselves to actually not break the puck out horribly for one game that series. Coaches probably get too much credit when they're winning and too much blame when they're losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

How many of the top 10 things in hockey history are some version of off-ice confrontation? Because there's Terry O'Reilly going into the crowd, the Flyers fan going into the box to fight Tie Domi, and, while they don't make the overall list, I love Tortorella at the Flames dressing room and injured as gently caress Darcy Tucker going from the press box to rinkside to try and get at Cam Janssen after Janssen hit Kaberle.

Have another donut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpcb5aTnPk

• Locked thread