Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

7 years seems like a long time for a little dwarf man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

Small oft injured player age 26 coming off two down seasons sure give him 7 years

He's my protege :)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

He works for the Post Gazette and has for years so I imagine he's correct.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Pens named Recchi as their new assistant coach to replace Tocchet and continue their proud tradition of putting Mario's friends behind the bench.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

45 points in 49 playoff games during the 2 Stanley Cups but they hate him and are going to trade him yeah OK. I mean, the only ones off the table entirely are Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Murray but there can't possibly be a trade involving Kessel that gets any kind of value in return.

Not to mention he's easily the most important player on the powerplay. He runs it from the left side.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I had no idea I wanted PK on Curb until today but now I really, really do.

I'm loving the new Twin Peaks but I think I might be even more excited for the new season of Curb. And yes, it'd be pretty great to see PK on there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

:siren: OH poo poo YALL BIG SIGNING NEWS :siren:

I wonder if he'll follow the proud JVR history of being pretty good for a few years before being panic traded for a lovely defenseman.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Leafs immediately pivoting to win now status and signing Marleau to that absurd contract definitely seems like the type of thing that can come back to bite them in the rear end.

See also: The Sens thinking they're anywhere close to a Cup thanks to that improbable run they just had.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

Rangers signed some goalie named Georgiev :shrug:

Georgiev is gettin upset

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Looks like someone drove a lawn mower over the middle of his head

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Problem is, hockey, admittedly, is a game that needs commercial breaks. Unless you want 20 minutes of increasingly lovely ice without them scraping off the snow.

They could probably get away with doing it every 10 minutes instead of every 5 but ad revenue and all that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wilford Cutlery posted:

The meetup.com group for Canadians in Chicago sent out notice of an event this morning, here's an excerpt:

I like how there's no Canadiens star player advertised.

Come see.....Max Pacioretty!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I think I like the goalie's reaction even more than the move itself

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Schremp Howard posted:

https://twitter.com/jmackeypg/status/889492097589538817

That's higher than I wanted but the D market seems to be high, Shattenkirk aside.

I don't quite understand this. I heard the Pens were offering him like 2 mil and he was asking for 4. I guess they figured arbitration would just give him 4 anyways so why not lock him up?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

corn on the cop posted:

brian dumoulin got the adam larsson contract

Or the Olli Maatta if you prefer.

Benson Cunningham posted:

That is not a good signing.

I'm not thrilled with the AAV but his shot suppression is stellar and he's got a good exit pass. Kinda have to keep him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Good god if that's what Brian Dumoulin gets, what are they going to pay Sheary?
Don't get me wrong, I love me some Dumoulin but the dude is basically David Schlemko - there's no need to be throwing those dollars and term at him.

e: Also that leaves ~6m to sign Sheary and find a 3c so either we're going into this season without one (we have zero internal replacements... I think maybe Rust used to play center? Or Guentzel but why split him from Crosby) or someone is on the move to make room for one.

I imagine Sheary will also get 4 million or so. The 3c they'll have to get via trade I guess and I have no idea what roster player they'd move to do that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Benson Cunningham posted:

I don't understand hockey salary anymore in an era where Sheary and Dumoulin are both going to get 4m+.

Sheary put up 53 points which is a lot of points in this day and age. What exactly do you think he should be getting?

I know Crosby bump blah blah but 50+ points is gonna get you paid no matter who you're playing with.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Luckily they have two more years of Guentzel at that price.

I think they get Sheary for less than 4 but he doesn't get the term. The playoffs really hurt Sheary.

If I'm Sheary I probably want term moreso than AAV. He's a tiny dwarf man and who knows how long his game can hold up in the NHL.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

That's almost Brooks Orpik money!

Yes I will be making this statement every time a similar contract is signed

It's not much more than Nick Bonino money.

boy is Nashville gonna regret that contract

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Stiev Awt posted:

Who will Marc Bergevin sign next: Tom Kostopoulous or Brian Smolinski?

Smoke is probably still a better 4c than whatever the Canadiens will end up going with

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Tavares gonna get paiiid

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

An AHL team would smoke an NCAA team.

Yeah. I'm not so sure an ECHL team wouldn't, if only because of the age/experience difference.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
You guys don't remember the clutch finals goal by Olympic Gold Medalist Chris Kunitz?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hopefully they caught it early enough.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
He's moving far too gracefully for an EA sports goalie.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zodijackylite posted:

I don't think they're going to sell that much more merchandise due to him.

It's more a competitive/cap issue, though. Half the teams in the league would be pressed against the cap if they signed Jagr to a 3-5m deal. The real competitors are probably looking to use that cap space towards a player who isn't 46 years old as the trade deadline approaches. I think a team will sign him late in the summer, and probably at a low cost.

Jagr not signing is almost certainly because of cap, yeah. He's probably worth what he's asking for but committing 3-5m to a guy that old is a tough sell.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Technetium posted:

There's so many teams vying to be competitive next year with cap space to burn on a really good top 9 forward idgi

I'd love for the Jagr farewell tour on the Pens but we have no 3c and just 3mil in cap space left.

I guess if they traded Maatta or Sheary plus whatever for Duchene and then signed Jagr that'd be pretty rad but haha i've got back to back cups and I'm still fantasizing about more so feel free to say gently caress you Ginette

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jovial Cow posted:

This was posted in the Ray Parlor but I figured it should be posted here as well. Arsenal goalie Petr Cech flew back to Martin Havlat's farewell game and played goalie for a period mid week this week. He had to promise to be back the next day for training. This is pretty astonishing considering Arsenal has a game today, the first game of the season. He looked pretty good as well.

http://tv.isport.blesk.cz/video/3600545/video-petr-cech-as-an-ice-hockey-goalkeeper-english-subtitles.html

His skating and movement look pretty decent. Obviously has some level of ice background.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I mean I'll take that season from Geno. But he's only gonna play like 60 games so don't see it as even a way out there possibility.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That's probably the closet thing you'll ever get to an admission of fault from Simmons.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

mcdavid/drai better than sid/malkin, come at me

Not true now and definitely won't be true in the future. Mcdavid might hit Sid's heights or better but Drai isn't even close to the caliber of Malkin nor will ever be.

A better comparison is Ovechkin/Backstrom but Drai isn't as good as Backstrom's peak yet either. Nicky B is kinda underrated and has been really fuckin' good for a long time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

Yeah I'm glad Bourne is back to writing because his stuff is always interesting.

Also: Crosby is good

https://twitter.com/FromTheFaceoff/status/899771668880654336

There's a lot of things about pro players that impress me but the edge work might be thing #1. It is so hard to skate like that and be in complete control of the puck and your body. The body control pro athletes have is just insane, and obviously Crosby is on another level even compared to the average pro with that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

That's unrealistic though because in a real game Marchand would be stabbing him way more.

yeah after about the second or third spin Sid would either be getting speared in the nuts or low bridged.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

If my beer league experiences are any indication there's a poo poo load of goalies who love to play out and will do so the first chance they get.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

Nashville is changing up their broadcast team. Stu Grimson is out as TV color guy, replaced by Chris Mason, and good ol Hal Gill is taking over radio color.

Their new play-by-play guy is kinda boring. I miss Pete Weber.

That reminds that Steve Mears is the Pens PBP guy this year. I suspect he'll be pretty boring as well but boring is probably still an improvement over Steiggy, though I will miss Steiggy pissing everyone off who is unfortunate enough to watch the Pens feed.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Depending what he costs that's probably a good signing.

The Devils are gonna be pretty rough this year though. Even with Schneider probably finding his game again.

If Schneider put up a 920-930 they could probably contend for a spot. Their roster is bad bad, but heroic goaltending can do a lot.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Infidel Castro posted:

Man, so many joyless Pens fans. Can't even take a joke.

They forgot Donald Brashear on that tweet

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Infidel Castro posted:

How could I forget? That was the last time I was truly happy.

I drank until I passed out more times than I can count in that series.

How unbelievable that the Pens and Maf went from that to back to back Cups just a few years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ken Holland really is the worst.

• Locked thread