Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Now that it is the offseason, it's time for Ken Holland to make the Red Wings worse by signing bad old players, as opposed to drafting bad young players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Thufir posted:

Jeremy Jacobs spent like $600,000 on local politics because he was mad about an Akon concert.

quote:

"That didn’t go over too well," said Mason Phelps, a former equestrian who today serves as a Jacobs family spokesman in Wellington. "Nor did we want to attract the kind of people the Akon concert would attract to this community…. The people that go and listen to and like Akon are not Wellingtonites. It’s just a different crowd of people. I don’t mean to sound like a snob, but this is a fairly upscale community, and we don’t need to bring the low- and middle-income hooligans into town and have them all of a sudden say, Wow, good pickins’ out here."

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Hard to think Brodeur can get in when another three-time Cup winning goalie, Chris Osgood, isn't in already

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Aphrodite posted:

He's the head of the board of governors, where lockouts are seen as good things.

I don't think they allow that anymore after Lemieux.

Gretzky was inducted immediately and alone, with the rule retired for him.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Ken Holland just signed the faulty safety harness to a 4-year, $4.5 million contract

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I loving knew it. I loving know you Holland you loving jackass. Can't wait until he ups the offer

6 years, 5.5m per.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Carey Price will end up being the greatest Canadien to never win a Cup.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I like the Marleau deal.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Drunk Canuck posted:

Frankly the team has the resources to take this risk with a high reward.

Yes.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I am excited that we have a new People Mover to go next to the new rink.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Detroit media is incredibly in the tank for Ken Holland, all coming out in force this week to defend picking Dennis Cholowski over Jacob Chychrun.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffMossDSR/status/886995239713505283

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

Also while basketball players don't wear any equipment, the NBA league wide eliminated home and away jerseys and is simply going with home team picks, away team wears contrast. Would love to see more color vs color in hockey.

It's not just that, every team has at least four jerseys, that are all just used whenever. NBA teams also now have four logos, with no true primary logo any more.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Wilford Cutlery posted:

The meetup.com group for Canadians in Chicago sent out notice of an event this morning, here's an excerpt:

The Blackhawks are trying to move tickets?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

Where did you get the black jersey Mario and Jagr ones? I have the other two, didn't get the new Crosby yet.

eBay.

Here's the complete list.

Wayne Gretzky, Rangers
Wayne Gretzky, Oilers
Mario Lemieux, Penguins (white and black)
Jaromir Jagr, Penguins
Sidney Crosby, Penguins (white and black)
Gordie Howe, Red Wings
Bobby Orr, Bruins
Rocket Richard, Canadiens
Eric Lindros, Flyers
Patrick Kane, Blackhawks (white and red)
Jonathan Toews, Blackhawks (white and red)
Alex Ovechkin, Capitals
Ryan Miller, Sabres
Claude Giroux, Flyers
John Tavares, Islanders
Sidney Crosby, Team Canada

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Hallmark also seems to have switched the hair for Mario and Jagr, judging by that picture.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Kilza posted:

The Hockey News' front office confidence survey results are out: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/front-office-confidence-rankings-part-2-fans-weigh-in-on-how-each-team-is-doing

Top 3 are Perds, Pens and Bolts. Bottom 3 are Avs, Canucks and Wings. Vegas is 14th!

quote:

This is the most interesting result of the survey. Remember that just four teams are less confident than the public and one of those teams happens to be the team in 29th, and it’s by the largest margin too. The other fun fact? Detroit had the second largest group of fans in the survey, and boy are they pissed. Of all the fan bases, they have the least amount of confidence in what Ken Holland and co. are doing.

no poo poo

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I haven't seen anything like this since the Nation of Islam tried to sorta invade a Red Wings game earlier this year.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Gio posted:

top comment.

at least the retort has more likes, i guess. :/

You're never gonna believe this, but the complainer there is a former Republican elected official in West Michigan.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=954763331249118&id=140379682687491

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/A_Kalnins/status/898877063842734080

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Fire Ken Holland

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's basically impossible to buy NHL merch right now because of the switch, you're going to have to wait

September 22nd was the date I saw for the jerseys being released, I would expect to start seeing gear around then.

Once the preseason starts, merchandise will have to be available for preseason games and things like that.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
NEW RED WINGS ARENA UPDATE

http://www.freep.com/story/opinion/columnists/stephen-henderson/2017/09/02/kid-rock-caesars-ilitch-arena/623154001/

Supposedly the Nazis and Antifa are coming out for this too

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

i am the bird posted:

This city's idiot class is desperate for this doofus's money. He bought himself a museum exhibit, a shed at Eastern Market, the opening concert here, and a loving restaurant in the arena.

It's also really obvious that Kid Rock is trying to buy a reputation separate from his actual one.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Ken Holland bungling away the Red Wings' best player makes absolute sense.

He's not old enough, not enough of a grinder

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

and not from michigan

People are very mad about Kid Rock opening up the new arena. However, it makes perfect sense considering:

- his entire gimmick (to Detroiters) is that he is from Detroit and Michigan
- it's not just one show, it's excessively six shows
- he is old and washed up, if he ever was in the lake in the first place

If Kid Rock were a hockey player, he would absolutely have a Ken Holland contract. He is the cultural epitome of BAD EXPENSIVE.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The new arena ribbon cutting has been 25 minutes of high school marching band, followed by a slam poetry TED talk.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

AsInHowe posted:

The new arena ribbon cutting has been 25 minutes of high school marching band, followed by a slam poetry TED talk.

I loving hate this guy

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

It's a slam poetry TED talk about how great capitalism has been for Detroit, Detroit needs more capitalists

Now it's slam poetry featuring old Little Caesars taglines, and I'm not joking

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Rick Snyder is being thanked for all he has done to make Michigan a "healthy Michigan".

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

yellowcar posted:

If Michigan elects Kid Rock as Senator, they deserve all the bad things happening to them.

Michigan isn't going to elect Kid Rock as senator. He isn't planning on running.

This whole thing is, as of now, a publicity stunt so he can get criticized, so he can claim 'fake news' and that the media is attacking him.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

clean ayers act posted:

I mean AA is good and I'm furious at the thought of losing him but I still think Mantha and Larkin are better. AA is probably not worth $3 mil a year yet but when you have Riley Sheahan about to make 2.25 a year....

What about Nielsen? Is Nielsen better?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
For those who were wondering when the new gear for the season is coming, a Detroit retailer just got all their Adidas NHL stuff.

So, if you're looking for the jersey t-shirts, start looking.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ginette Reno posted:

Well Yzerman hasn't had a chance to ruin Detroit yet but he'd probably be an example of an actual good GM who probably shouldn't have just been handed a GM job.

But yeah it is dumb, no doubt about that. Most of these former players have high school educations at best and little to no experience doing real work. Maybe teams are looking at Yzerman and thinking they can catch lightning in a bottle too with their former players?

Stevie is legitimately a smart guy, very curious, and a forward thinker. He isn't running the team like teams he played for, for obvious reasons.

DJExile posted:

look at all the columns and blogs loving begging Yzerman to come back to detroit

look at my post history

look at all the FIRE KEN HOLLAND posts

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Bearded Gary

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

yellowcar posted:

I am confident that I can be a better GM than Sakic and Holland.

I absolutely know I can be a better GM than Holland, simply with basic numbers.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I'll trade you one shiny Jimmy Howard for one Kyle Connor or Jacob Trouba

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://funko.com/blogs/news/coming-soon-nhl-series-2-pop-s

Wooooo

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Look at this beautiful, actual sign in Little Caesars Arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
They're good

• Locked thread