Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

There's a rumour that the Leafs offered 2018 1st + JVR for Hamonic, which I hope is false because that would have been really bad.

Incidentally, I just saw that Hamonic had 43% CF% in 519 minutes with Leddy last season compared to 51.5% in 558 minutes the year before. Ouch.

Yeah Dellow's piece on him in The Athletic is the kind of analysis I find really frustrating, it basically boils down to "if you ignore all the times he was bad, he looks really good!"

Like, I get nobody should be punished for playing with Andrew MacDonald and last year he was dealing with injury and family-related concerns, but at a certain point showing splits that say a dman is good when he's with a good partner and bad with a bad partner isn't actually making a case for the guy driving play.

That being said Hamonic's got a larger body of work behind him saying he's an effective player than the total disaster last year was.

If he's the good version of himself next year moving a 1st (which the Leafs would expect to fall lower than this year) and JVR's expiring contract wouldn't have been a bad deal, in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Pens fans are just caught up in the Cup afterglow, we can't blame them for not thinking properly. If the Reaves trade had happened at the deadline instead posters would have lost their goddamn minds.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Some reporter in Chicago linked Alzner to the Leafs and Leafs twitter lost its mind.

The Leafs have 6 guys fighting for LD spots already and their top 4 is already spoken for on that side. I think this is just this year's version of the Kris Russell rumours from last season and I'm gonna call it traffic-generating nonsense.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yak's shooting percentage in his 31-point-in-48-games, 17 goal season was 21%, so no, he can't do it again. Seriously, it should be the first thing you check with a guy.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Duchene's shooting percentage and shot rates have been pretty consistent until last year, the only bad pattern in his points is his rate of assists is steadily declining, which can probably be attributed to spending most of his time centering Matt Nieto and JT Compher.

He's 26, I'd say he's as solid a bet as any to continue producing well for a while and I bet his assist and shot numbers tick back up if he starts playing with non-garbage line mates.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Guys like Versteeg and Hartnell and Pouliot aren't world beaters or anything but it seems like every year there's perfectly useful veteran scoring depth available for basically nothing.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Is Calgary's goaltending seriously going to be Mike Smith and Eddie Lack next year?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Marleau's gonna be old and busted as gently caress when that contract is up but the Leafs have cap space like crazy in the future and people are overestimating what the big three are gonna cost imo.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I still don't like that deal fwiw but next year should be fun

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

If they want to sign them long term, 25M is probably the floor for the three of them. Matthews and Marner have two more years to show how much they're worth. Coming out of the ELC they are gonna get paid.

There's still lots of RFA years too, I agree with your long-term estimate but I can see a bridge deal or two potentially, especially if anyone has a rough year or injuries happen.

Plus I think they can absorb $25M over the next three seasons just fine, the only other major player coming up for a contract is Gardiner and there's over $40M in space opening up.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Assuming that what the three of them did last year wasn't a mirage and they trend in the direction of players their age, you can reasonably expect them to cost $25m+ combined.

I understand that, what I'm referencing is the people looking at the speculation over McDavid's deal and saying the Leafs need to gear up too. The way pundits are talking you'd think Matthews is getting $12M and Nylander/Marner are gonna get Toews/Kane money and I don't think that'll happen.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

He's already gone in my mind

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I understand the skepticism around any team like the Leafs that comes up from worst in the league to the playoffs suddenly, but by most metrics people use to judge repeatability the Leafs are either fine or could have been higher in the standings.

Nobody put up unreasonable shooting percentages, they're not relying on a goalie putting up a career season, they're a positive possession team, their one-goal win % was actually poor.

They could absolutely have a down year next year because it's sports and that happens, and I'm not expecting a huge improvement by any means, but I don't think there's a huge risk in believing in this core moving forward.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

whatis posted:

The biggest thing to watch for with the Leafs this coming season (imo anyways) is injuries. they were one of the top-fiveish healthiest teams in the league last year in turns of man games lost, and the players that missed time weren't core pieces

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Zaitsev, Gardiner, and JVR missed a combined 12 games all of last season, which is insane

That's true, but in fairness Marner was dealing with mono for two months and was visibly affected for months after, and Rielly played with a high ankle sprain from January onward, so it's not like the whole team was playing 100% all year.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ottawa's my pick to take a step back next year, among all the other factors they were the only playoff team with a negative goal differential and that's just :lol:

Tampa should be fine but losing Bishop/Drouin and adding literal anchor Dan Girardi sorta tempers my expectations for them. They should be a playoff team but I don't know if they run away with the division.

Boston should be pretty good, probably better than last year.

I feel like Montreal took a step back this offseason but they always find a way to supplement with depth signings popping off and ultimately Price is good enough to carry them.

Florida straight up sabotaged their team. I don't know that Buffalo's done enough to separate themselves. Detroit doesn't know they're already dead.

Leafs are gonna be fighting for a wildcard again next year, imo. If Montreal somehow drops off or Tampa's D/G crumble then things might be different.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I don't think is is as true as people think.

Dadonov and Vrbata should be equal to Marchessault and Reilly Smith*. If the team can actually be anywhere near healthy I don't think they're any worse this year than last outside of whatever they do to replace Jagr, though it could still be Jagr.

I still consider Dadonov a relative unknown at this point and Vrbata is 36. I think the likely scenario for them is being a side-grade to the players that were moved out but there's a lot more risk imo.

Considering the Panthers made their moves to cut salary I doubt any major additions are coming and losing Jagr is a pretty big deal. Plus Jokinen is still a useful guy even if he had a down year offensively.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Franson is a competent bottom-pair defender who used to put up good possession against weak comp and have good power play numbers. The PP has dried up a little for him and he's a big slow guy so his errors usually end up looking real bad, but he's definitely a depth option that someone should sign.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Make no mistake: the Marleau contract is bad and is based entirely off of Team Canada nepotism and Veteran Leadership nonsense.

Zach Hyman sucks out loud though, and outside of opportunity cost (which is large) the Leafs can afford it.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I'm fine with paying a bottom 6 grinder like Hyman if they're decent at it, and he appears to be.

If Leafs fans seem to dislike him it's because he's a useful 4th liner who was stapled to the best player on the team all season, which is less than ideal but not really his fault. If he was slotted in a role more suited for him nobody would mind.

It's kind of like how people don't bitch constantly about Tyler Bozak anymore now that he's not leading the team in minutes.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don't think anyone dislikes Golden Boy and Possible One Direction Band Member William Nylander, and if anyone does I will literally fight them

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, I dunno what PPP was talking about there. Summer LTIR is very much a thing and has been since the first CBA. In terms of available cap space it's far better to figure out how to cram the injured guys onto your opening day roster and then throw them onto LTIR, but there's nothing stopping you from putting them on LTIR in the summer (except for the fact that you'd end up with a bit less additional cap space during the season).

In their defence Daly literally said "There's no LTI in the summer" less than two weeks ago when talking about Hossa, so there was definitely cause for confusion.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Gio posted:

i dont mind little caesars pizza tbh. its not "good" but theres way worse. pizza pizza was the absolute loving worst pizza ive ever had, i dont know how you canucks eat that poo poo.

Pizza Pizza is the only fast food I can think of that's objectively disgusting but literally everyone I know will eat it, mostly out of childhood nostalgia and sheer availability.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Leafs also signed Liljegren, all signs point to him playing in Sweden next year though.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah the Marleau contract is a bad deal. Regardless of the Leafs ability to absorb the hit and maintain their existing players (which I think they can likely do but let's not write a novel about it), there's also the opportunity cost in not being able to acquire other players and just straight up giving up a roster spot to a guy who will likely be ineffective pretty soon.

The Leafs whole offseason was just nepotism and age-fetishization.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Also he has a full NMC which kinda tanks the conspiracy theories about trading the contract.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I mean, there's next to no organizational carry-over from the Leafs bad UFA signings prior to Matt Martin, and the org definitely didn't learn a lesson from him because they think he's doing a great job as far as anyone can tell (while Dubas weeps softly from his office in the Ricoh).

Also Jason Blake ended up being a perfectly productive guy on his contract, even after the leukaemia.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So the Marlies hired the guy who scored from his own goal line on Toskala as an assistant coach.

This goal: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=inT0MU5w68c

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Tulsky just hired datarink to work with him for the Canes so no more fun arcade-style shot graphics next year I guess.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

lol Jesse Blacker is an extra on the split-squad team

I remember when he was the Leafs Next Great Hope on D according to idiots like Steve Dangle and Jeff Veillette

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

gently caress nazis. gently caress cancer.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The Leafs waived Alexey Marchenko today. Rumour is it'll be a mutual contract termination so he can go back to the KHL.

I know Wings fans were bummed to lose him on waivers but honestly I could see why they dumped him. It's a win for the Leafs in that it clears contract and salary for a guy that's replaceable, but right side depth is gonna be a fun issue this year.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Hockey goons, my band is about to embark on a 10-week tour of US/Canada. We tour extensively quite often, we're a duo of brothers. I play drums, he plays guitar/loops, we work with the engineer of The Melvins. Mix of heavy rock and a sort of cinematic post-rock I suppose. Come say hi, mainly because I've never met any of you in real life and have been posting here for a long while.

http://www.jerkagram.com/tour

We're going almost everywhere, and if you live in a major non-Alberta Canadian city, we will be playing it.

*end shameless promotion*

See you in Toronto, if we're not all dead by then

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The league always had the power to just reject the backdiving contracts in the first place though, it's not like their hands were tied. They chose to approve contracts everyone knew were in bad faith and then decided to punish those parties later.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Thufir posted:

I'm not sure they really did. They couldn't set strict contract limits without re-negotiating the CBA and a lot of the back-diving contracts sort of looked ok if you squinted at them right. Like, Crosby for 12 years at age 25, that seems vaguely reasonable. The NHLPA would have been appealing some of those rejections and they would have gone to arbitration or something. The Kovalchuk contract was just completely nuts enough that they had to reject it, and then that set sort of an unfortunately low standard.

I didn't say anything about contract limits, the league can reject a contract they think the player doesn't intend to honour as that violates the second paragraph of the standard SPC. The mechanism would have been the exact same as for rejecting the Kovalchuk deal, and sure that contract was extreme but everyone knew what was happening with the Luongo, Zetterberg, and Franzen contracts. They absolutely didn't have to approve those deals.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

For the record, Bourne's new Systems Analyst post on The Athletic is probably worth $5 alone for the amount it made me laugh.

it's about Alexei Emelin

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

He's somehow making less money than Hyman which is ridiculous

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I'd like to think we're all smart/jaded enough to realize the Matthews hype train has left the station and gone off the rails already so there's no point in getting riled up over various scorching takes.

plus they're not wrong lollllll

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DJExile posted:

Matthews is going to have 6 points in this season's opener and the leafs are still going to lose by 3

This is a realistic prediction imo

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Flames apparently gave Tanner Glass a PTO, Canucks extend one to Ryan White.

I'd :lol: but the Leafs still have Matt Martin making $2M for the next three seasons so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Eh, at least Martin is a good shot suppression player on top of being a shithead. There are worse ways for a GM to blow $2m.

There was actually a decent amount of discussion over whether or not Martin actually gets defensive results last year amongst the usual Leafs suspects, since the dude visibly sucks.

Results were mixed because defensive stats are still terrible but the gist of it was Martin might be a better suppressor than many 4th liners but he still gets crushed playing against non-grinders, and he's so poor offensively it's hard to see the usefulness anyway because any meagre chances the opposition get are still putting them ahead of his sorry rear end. If you can't suppress better players and the players you can suppress still outshoot you what's the point?

There's absolutely worse 4th liners in the league but given the other players the Leafs have under contract there's still no excuse to play a guy like Martin.

• Locked thread