Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Carrie Underwood posted:

Mike Fisher is not allowed to leave Nashville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Holland would take a high draft pick and immediately trade it for another 3rd line grinder. He'd toss more into the deal if the guy was Michigan-born.

E: Oh hey the babby schenn thing. I don't mind Philly offloading him for picks since it's not like they're in win-now mode anyway. Yeah Lehtera isn't great but Schenn was goddamn awful at 5v5 and from what I can tell, Lehtera is at least a touch better there. He's drat sure not replacing Schenn on the power play, that's for sure (I'm guessing one of the younger guys will be headed to his spot), but even if the power play takes a hit overall it's not as if we're aiming to be a contender this year anyway.

I've never been a fan of either Schenn, and Braydon i felt was always super overrated.

I was about to post the Flyers could sneak in to a wild card spot, young players, Nolan Patrick, etc. then I thought of the defense and goaltending and....yeah it may not be a good year for the Flyers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

That's a fair point. If they're not in a win-now mode it makes sense to maximize the return and trade him now since he's not likely to get any better, or cheaper, by the time younger guys are ready. And you're right that Schenn doesn't strike me as the type of expensive veteran type you'd want to still have around 3-4 years from now compared to Giroux/Voracek/Wayne. I guess I was mostly just surprised he was moved at all since it kind of came out of nowhere

Yeah, I think for Flyers fans this isn't a surprise. Schenn has been, at best invisible on 5-5 for multiple seasons, so a lot of people have soured on him. Schenn for 2 first round picks is a win.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How did Jagr look on Florida last year anyway?

I think someone will give him a one year, but probably he will be one of the last signings.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

the talent deficit posted:

vancouver chose petr nedved over jaromir jagr in the 1990 nhl entry draft. they can finally correct that mistake

End of the summer culminates with Vancouver bringing Nedved out of retirement to play a final season instead of signing Jagr.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

Don't loving trade Duchene to Nashville.

Actually, trade Duchene to Nashville.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/karl-alzner-leaves-humiliating-letter-to-washington-fans-teammates/?ref=David

Lol, and just more lol that Montreal is the solution to going to a "winning" team.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sedative posted:

Yeah if it's one year for cheap, fine, but that's not happening. Hextall said he didn't want to sign veterans to block the kids. It doesn't make sense for anyone.

Well, let's look at the Flyers defense:

Provorov - McDonald (ugh)
Ghost - Morin / Sanheim / Haigh
Gudas - Manning or one of the Rookies

I guess the question is how many young defense men are you willing to risk at once?

Personally, at this point I say roll the dice and let the kids just play. From an eye test at 4 Phantoms games, I wasn't impressed with Morin, but between him, Sanheim, Hagg, etc, someone has to be ready to play.

Best option: Hextall signs Markov, trades McDonald to Canadians with no salary retention.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
gently caress Pittsburgh, but you're on loving acid if you think Mike Sullivan is a bad coach, and wasn't a big part of how the Penguins won the last two years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

So here's something fun. The Flyers AHL affiliate has let assistant coach (and former flyer enforcer) Riley Cote go. He went on BSH's podcast and said Jordan Weal has gotten hosed around being stuck in the AHL because of politics

I guess politics is politics, but given that there are what, 12-14 forward spots at any one time when factoring in lineups and injuries, I'm sure a lot of players are in the "too good for the AHL, not good enough for the NHL" category. I thought Laughton ran into a similar issue before he was weirdly protected in the expansion draft.

That being said, Weal looked pretty good, and let's face it, Philly isn't exactly stacked lineup wise right now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

You mean the part where I win epically and the hockey thread has a meltdown? Gonna own to repeat it in 2018.

Dare I say it, but you sir are indeed, the Donald Trump of the Something Awful hockey forums.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

T-Bone posted:

My second choice would be the Sharks with Jumbo but this would be fun too.

Actually he'd be a good fit for the Capitals if they could somehow get him under the cap. Maybe Nashville to replace Neal.

Irony of irony would be Jagr playing next year with the Caps and leads Caps to the Cup

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

So the question is: how will the Flyers gently caress up their future goaltending this time?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

They're at least approaching it better than they historically have. My one annoyance is that they're completely committed to the 1A/1B tandem thing (which is part of what drove Steve Mason off) and I don't think taht's ever been shown to really work well.

Ron Hextall must have different memories of the 97 finals run and how the goalie tandem worked than the memories you or I have.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hell yeah. That's a good signing.

Nashville still really needs one more forward that can score though. Especially with losing Neal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They don't mention the old anthem singer, but it looks like taking a public stance to bitch about your employer means you don't get asked back to do the anthem next year:

https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/nashville-predators-call-upon-fans-to-help-choose-anthem-singer/c-290557830

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zodijackylite posted:

I think Jagr is still unsigned because he's not just looking for an NHL deal, he's looking for 3-4m plus performance bonuses. The Panthers ended up paying him 5.5m last year - a base of 4m, and 300k bonuses for each of 10, 20, 30, 40, and 45 games played.

Isn't Jagr a player that's worth it though? Not even just from performance , but his jerseys still have to sell pretty well due to his name.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

https://twitter.com/John_LeClair10/status/896949765321240577

John LeClair too. They're out of touch white millionaires who've been revered as gods their entire lives. Are you at all surprised they're not exactly keyed into the complexities of race relations in the United States?

I met John's wife once while working. She was really nice, but talked about how the one kid was going to some expensive fashion school and I took it there was some drama on whether they felt it was worth it or not (I'm sure it wasn't).

Every time John came in to the store I happened to be with a different customer. 10 year old me was very sad I never got to help him.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Good for him, but I will really miss his coverage.

I've been seeing references to the Atheletic but haven't looked into it. Looks like they're shooting to corner having the best local sports news? For me, I'm at the point where everything seems to be a subscription. But on the flip side, if it's as good as say, his writing at BSH, I'll consider it.

I have bookmarked BSH, and SB Nation's blogs for the Preds and Blues, and it's just a huge difference on how much better BSH is. I couldn't tell you what it is, but if my only choice is pay for better, or have really meh articles, I'll start considering another drat subscription.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gio posted:

2011 ECQF, Philly v. Boston? caused them to trade richards and carter, signed bryz to a bajillion dollars, have been more or less irrelevant since.

Always will be controversial, but i don't think you can peg the Carter / Richards trade as a bad trade.

Bryz's contract was godawful, and really the big nail in the coffin to me was Lecavlier's contract plus trading JVR for Luke loving Schenn.

It's ok, Hextall has since returned, and will lead us to the promised land.

Ginette Reno posted:

I drank until I passed out more times than I can count in that series.

How unbelievable that the Pens and Maf went from that to back to back Cups just a few years later.

A great/crazy series, and I think the change for the Pens shows how good of a coach Sullivan is.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This is good. For me I grew up with Jackson broadcasting the Flyers, so whether people like him or not, I'll always be a fan just because the voice is synonymous with hockey to me (unless has some horrible skeletons in his closet or something). Jones, Clement and Therian are all fine.

Coates is one of the worst, and while I sympathize with anyone who listens to the radio, I'm just happy he is buried there. Just renewed my NHL subscription, so at the least I won't have to listen to Coates.

I'm now in St Louis, so I guess I'll find out if the local media here is any good for Blues games.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Of course, but there seemed to be some sense to it until recently. I understand hiring former players to be scouts and stuff or offering the GM role to a player who learned the ropes as an AGM or in the minor leagues, but just giving the most important position in the organization to a dude who's hideously unqualified? That seems like a recent terrible move that came coupled with the shift to fan favourites as Presidents thing, and it's just so stupid. Is there one example of a former player with no managerial experience who came back to his old team and didn't immediately mess things up horribly?

As someone said, hockey is a "good ole boys" club. The Flyers are guilty of it, they moved Clarke right from player to GM.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

weren't GMs like all "no we like it's working as intended" when they met about the rules and that very suggestion?

I think it'll cut down on the "his skate blade was possibly vaguely off the ice a nanosecond before the puck was in the zone" calls which were the annoying ones but obvious missed calls can be easily reversed.

Wonder if the refs complained about it

I still don't see what was wrong with the old system: the NHL monitored goals, Toronto called if it was questionable.

Challenges were abused from day one, they were noticeably affecting the game all season, and of course it just became more obvious in the playoffs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

It kinda owns that the Penguins won two Stanley Cups on the back of successful offsides challenges

Gonna go on a limb and say incorrect, it does not own in any way.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

hahahah theeerrre's the flyers goaltending situation we all know and love

Thank god #1 starting goalie Michael Neuvirth is not at all injury prone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

my bold NHL prediction this year is that the Flyers are a bottom 5 team because Elliott is going to suck again

You forget about super awesome starting goaltender Michael Neuvirth to take on the load if Elliot tanks.

.....the flyers will never have good goaltending.

• Locked thread