Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm sorry but giving up a first rounder for a goon who doesn't even really have the "He can play a little" qualifier is unacceptable, even in a thin draft. If the Penguins felt they needed toughness, surely there was somebody in a team's AHL system who's just as a capable of putting somebody's lights out, and they're probably cheaper and more skilled at actual hockey. Tony Peluso is a UFA, and I'd bet he wants less than the 4.5M PGH owes Reaves over the next 4 years. And he can scrap, too.

What baffles me about this is Reaves doesn't even fight that often. He didn't even crack the top 10 in PIM's , and out of the top 10, pretty much everybody in that list is a better player than Ryan Reaves, except Mark Borowiecki. Even Reaves himself was befuddled as to why he got traded for a first rounder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Schremp Howard posted:

Reaves only has next year left on that deal.

My bad you're right. But paying him 1.1M is still a problem. Plus if they don't re-sign him or offer an extension, that means they coughed up a 1st rounder for a year of a goon. That's insane. The Pens have a chance at winning 3 cups in a row still, but having cap space eaten up by a schlub like that doesn't help. Especially when that 1st rounder could have been packaged with something to get them defensive help, as we saw with the Hamonic trade.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm curious to see what Calgary does with their remaining cap space (15M). I'd think they're re-signing Bennett and Chiasson, probably not Versteeg (or if they do it's hopefully for less money) or almost definitely not Elliott.

If he wasn't going after such a HUGE contract I'd have interest in Radulov, but that's a mighty long deal for a 30 year old.

a false posted:

is nashville letting mike fisher walk.

I believe the story circulating during the finals was the finals were it for him, win or lose

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Andreychuk would be an embarrassing induction.

He's 14th all time in goals, and 29th all time in points. He belongs in the hall.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

neely was way, way better, and also sea bass.

He would have had much better numbers if he'd stayed healthy, but that's a big if sadly

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

50 goals in 49 games and also actually made all star teams, four times in fact.

All star teams are meaningless bullshit and even if they mattered, Andreychuk played in 2 all star games.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

I see you're confusing the all star game with all star teams, I'll let you rethink this post.

Since both are meaningless it doesn't matter, that won't be necessary.

I mean, I agree Neely was a fair bit better, I just think using any iteration of all star appearances is the dumbest way possible to prove it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

a false posted:

also if you're going to use this argument and then say neely was that much better you should probably note that neely had ray bourque and adam oates playing alongside him during his best goal scoring years, who are 4th and 7th, respectively, all time in assists

They both got to play with some HOF-level talent. Andreychuk played with Turgeon, Perrault, Housley, Vaive, and a young Mogilny.

FWIW, I think both Neely AND Andreychuk belong in the hall. I think punishing Neely for being a victim of cheap shots when he was clearly a world class goal scorer is dumb.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

a false posted:

my point is i don't really see why the gradual accrual of stats over a long successful career as a good player is that highly valued over a player amassing a lot of points in a short amount of time and then flaming out. i think you could absolutely argue that a player who made 20 years of solid contributions had more absolute value as a player than a guy who only had 4 or 5. the idea of one player being Obviously Better than another player becomes so arcane at a certain point that it is by its own nature inherently false (the 'obviously' in particular) unless your example is something like gretzky vs ... i don't know, a player who was not that great. john druce. whatever.

another example: i think the idea of people saying hasek was "obviously" better than brodeur is dumb as hell. yes, hasek as his peak was an absolute marvel in a way that brodeur never was at any given point. but let's say brodeur and hasek were the same age and eligible for the draft in the same year. if you could see into the future from that point exactly how their career arcs were going to go, which one would you pick? i'm probably going with brodeur.

The reason people tend to think Hasek was significantly better than Brodeur is that Hasek was good wherever he went once he became a starter, and Brodeur's numbers seemed to be dependent on the quality of New Jersey's defence, especially in his later years. I think Brodeur belongs in the hall, because he was very good for a long time. But I'd rather have Hasek.

Keep in mind I think Hasek's a contender for GOAT at his position.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Nothing about 2005/06 makes any sense. Eric Staal had 100pts then was PPG one more time in his career (82 in 82 in 07/08). Jonathan Cheechoo had 56 goals then was out of the league four years later. Shanny scored 40. Peter Prucha was the hot, young goalscoring winger for the Rangers. Todd Bertuzzi was still an effective player. Mathieu Schneider lead the league in goals from the blueline. Cristobal Huet posted a .929. The Red Wings put up 124 points then somehow lost to the 8th seeded Oilers who'd go on to force a Stanley Cup 7th game against the Hurricanes on the back of an all world performance from Fernando Pisani. :psyduck:

Looking back, that year was just bizarre beyond belief.

Do you just mean because he was 35-36 at the time?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kilza posted:

Breaking up Hall of Fame chat for a second:
https://twitter.com/MikeHeika/status/879367857221578753

:rip:

Lehtonen's largely considered the better of the 2, right?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

You can have 3 goalies or 1 Connor McDavid!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Lehtonen had the cleanest exit from a butterfly I'd ever seen when he first joined the league. I thought for sure he'd end up being very good. Sucks he couldn't do anythat else.

I remember when he was drafted, they talked about how risky it is to draft a goalie with a high 1st round pick, but that this was probably pretty safe. Didn't really work out, and his best year was probably for Dallas in '05-06.

In fairness, his numbers in Finland were insanely good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

I'll take Lehtonen cheap to back up Hank and work with Allaire.

He'd actually be a fine backup if it weren't for the pricetag really, so I agree

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Curious to see who bites on Radulov

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Swerve right Burke, Stone's a better player and Rasmus Andersson probably is, too

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 26, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Sure, and I wouldn't mind Yak. He's a no risk signing considering he'll be a free agent, but it's almost like people expect he'll suddenly round into form as a top six scorer if given the opportunity. He's a 4th line forward and not a very good one, people really need to temper their expectations on him.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I feel like if you have the ability to score 15-20 goals once, you can do it again. Taking a flyer on the kid with the hope he can be a 2nd or 3rd line quality forward when he's shown that ability in the past isn't too crazy. I agree him living up to his pre-draft hype isn't happening, though. But I'd be excited if Calgary offered him a deal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That second year has got to be frightening to anyone thinking to sign him (unless he's some sort of fitness freak)

I wonder if he'd take a one year deal with a team option worth the same amount if a contender offered him a deal

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Isn't Staal generally considered better than Sbisa and Emelin, even with the injuries affecting his play?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

He's really really bad OP.

Right, but Sbisa and Emelin are considered worse, aren't they?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

Oh, right, I forgot Marc Staal exists. Maybe we can send him to Minnesota to be with his brother, and hope it works out better than it did with Boogaard.

:stare:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Spencer Foo able to contribute right away or does he need a year or two in the AHL?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, this is the only instance in which anyone connected with the team has used the word and I've heard less forced admissions of infidelity:

What kills me about that statement is the condescending tone; "Oh sure we're rebuilding guys, you believe whatever you want". You missed the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years and got bodied by a team nobody expected to make the playoffs in that one year, and they're a rival, to boot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

yellowcar posted:

At least it won't be the Yaroslavl team plane.

He'll just offer a 1st rounder for that one

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mike_V posted:

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/880155636591456256

Why? Don't they have a number of decent young goalies?

It's not a bad idea to add a vet like Mason to be the starter while those youngins get ready. Comrie's struggled a bit in the AHL, Helleybuck was inconsistent last year, and Pavelec is a UFA who sucks 20 dicks in net.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

I am really impressed by Jim Benning's complete inability to lure Vancouver born players to the Canucks even with the ability to offer more money and ice time than anyone else. He is a supremely horrible general manager.

xzzy posted:

Jagr is 55 games or around there from having played the most games in the history of the NHL, someone really needs to let him get one more year in.

Jim Benning, come on down!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

How did Jagr look on Florida last year anyway?

I think someone will give him a one year, but probably he will be one of the last signings.

From what I've read he lost a step but if somebody needs forward depth that has real ability and a shitload of experience, they could do worse.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TeamJesus posted:

Giordano - Dougie Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Bartkowski

Yes please and thank you.

I want it to be Andersson or Kylington (probably the former) instead of Kulak, but otherwise, giddyup

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Too bad they have no picks or forward prospects or more than 6 forwards.

I'm intrigued by Adam Ruzicka and Mark Jankowski but otherwise this is basically true.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 1, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jonathan Fisk posted:

10.5? Christ

He's the best goalie in hockey, with the exception of maybe Bobrovsky, although I can see maybe having an issue with committing 10.5M to a guy behind suspect D who will probably only play 60-65 games a year

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

They'll just dump him on an expansion team.

The Kansas Flying Monkeys would love to have Price as the face of their franchise.

gently caress, now I'll be disappointed if KC gets a team and doesn't use this name

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If it is for Sbisa, I think we can dial back the "Goerge is an idiot" rhetoric, although I'll maintain that he still drafted sorta poorly and should have just just rolled the dice on Hudon.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Stretch Marx posted:

Thorton and I have the same beard colouration and he's only 7 years older than me. =/

You're a Leafs fan, it's understandable

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

stab posted:

Bergevin get all the broken old scorers like its nhl 2005 all over again

Doan
Iginla
Vanek
Jagr

Do it. Do it now.

I wonder if Vanek has really gotten much interest. His year wasn't awful, but he's 33 and it wasn't great, either. I feel like he'd have to come in cheap, maybe about 1.5-2.5 M on a 1 year deal

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I dunno, 50 pts on a team that has like 2 good offensive forwards other than him is pretty solid. I agree it's an overpay though, I'd have offered 4 yrs, 22M, take it over leave it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

So the Devils still really need to add another winger to play in the top nine. As of now, lines look something like this:

Hall-Hischier-Henrique
Johansson-Zajac-Palmieri
UFA-Zacha-Wood

Then the fourth should be Brian Boyle with some rotation of Quenneville/Blandisi/UFA.

They will at least be interesting to watch if Schneider has a rebound year. That defense is still a wreck and I'd hope they can sign and trade Kovalchuk to get a top four guy. So it could be something like:

Greene-Severson
???-Santini
Mueller-Lovejoy

I dunno. They're a year or two away from contending but I like how patient Shero is being and the trades he's making.

I wonder if they'll pursue somebody like Stalberg

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Untrue, there's a pretty strong consensus that PK Subban is a great man

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Levitate posted:

I thought Jokinen has been trending downward pretty bad recently?

He's not a bad risk to take because he offers forward depth and it's only a 1 year deal. They probably gave him like, 1.5M or something, seems like a low risk high reward sitch

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
This discussion reminds me of something I've been wondering: how much say does Brad Treliving actually have? I know he's the GM, but Burke is a known quantity and he's prez of hockey operations, so I feel like he supercedes any impulse Treliving has good or bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He's solid, but more importantly he had an awesome response when a reporter asked after a hat trick when the last time he had one was, he goes "Probably in mites?". Which is hockey for like, 8 year olds I believe.

• Locked thread