Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm sorry but giving up a first rounder for a goon who doesn't even really have the "He can play a little" qualifier is unacceptable, even in a thin draft. If the Penguins felt they needed toughness, surely there was somebody in a team's AHL system who's just as a capable of putting somebody's lights out, and they're probably cheaper and more skilled at actual hockey. Tony Peluso is a UFA, and I'd bet he wants less than the 4.5M PGH owes Reaves over the next 4 years. And he can scrap, too.

Reaves only has next year left on that deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I doubt the islanders would trade Hamonic in division.

If anything I'm guessing that Rutherford expects to re-sign Bonino and/or isn't confident in Sundqvist's ability to anchor the fourth line. He's waiver eligible IIRC so I guess it makes sense to get something if you don't think he'll stick.

And yeah if this trade happened without the cup wins I'd be more upset but whatever. Outside of Bonino, Lock up Jultz and Dumoulin, Sheary on a two or three year deal, Kunitz for a year at a million or less, and get someone to be back up and 7th D and I'm pretty happy.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Despres for Lovejoy was pretty heavily criticized but Lovejoy did play well when he didn't have to play top pairing and Despres got hot brains. Perron was a good trade in theory but didn't work out systems wise and led to Hagelin. Picks for Winnik was pretty meh.

But yeah overall Rutherford has been pretty decent with his trades. His bad ones had minimal impact, and his good ones (getting anything for Scuderi, Kessel, replacing a struggling player in Peron for someone who fits the system in Hagelin, not moving Fleury at the deadline) have been great.

He also told Rossi to go sell ice cream so he rules.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Most of the talk around Pittsburgh is they want a guy who is definitely ok in the back up role and that if Murray went down for any significant time Jarry could be called up as a starter. Not sure how smart that is given a small sample size of injuries to Murray. I would like them to pay low on a back up, but if Condon's deal broke the market for one may as well keep Jarry up for 20 games of play.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Hockey is one of those sports where one player alone can't make that drastic of a difference to one team. Tanking is the most effective way to get yourself at worst what, a fifth overall pick (?) who will help you down the line, but as the Oilers showed before McDavid it's not enough to offset terrible management. Same can be said for the NFL. The MLB is a little different in how the farm system is almost mandatory. The NBA is probably the greatest example of a league where you need a lottery given the smaller roster size and ability to be on the court for a higher percentage of the game.

Tanking is only kind of a problem, but the league will only intervene if they can find a way to make more money by doing so. We clamor for a three point system in standings, but it'll never happen because it drags out the amount of time and number of teams in the playoff hunt and allows them to market it as such. If they figure out how to make draft picks a marketable event (whether they did the idea of eliminated teams gaining points to bank toward the lottery with each win post elimination or god forbid a losers bracket tournament), the owners will do it.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Aphrodite posted:

McDavid literally turned that team around himself.

McDavid put them over the edge but say he went to a team that didn't also have five top seven picks in the previous five years. It's not like he alone could drag say Arizona into the playoffs.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Pekka Rinne wrote an article for the Players Tribune. Nothing groundbreaking, but a nice read regardless. But it reminded me of how great PK is and now I'm rewatching his hospital videos and he is the best.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
There will be some differences between the sports I imagine, but two years ago someone leaked a photo of Pittsburgh Pirates player Andrew McCutchen and it shows how he paid Pennsylvania taxes plus some in cities from road games.

http://deadspin.com/lets-take-a-look-at-andrew-mccutchens-pay-stub-1706188663

NHL players probably deal with similar situations.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Ginette Reno posted:

He works for the Post Gazette and has for years so I imagine he's correct.

Ron Cook is also a shitbag and then decided to write this today:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2017/07/11/ron-cook-rick-tocchet-coyotes-coach-phil-kessel-penguins-nhl/stories/201707120024/

Basically says to trade Kessel now that Tocchet isn't there to coddle him from Sullivan.

pseudodragon posted:

So apparently no one, including some teams and possibly the league had any idea how LTIR works.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/7/11/15956056/toronto-maple-leafs-ltir-no-one-knows-what-is-going-on-nhl-off-season-connor-brown

Tl;dr is that unlike what everyone has ever said, you can use LTIR to go over the cap in the offseason and no one has needed to try before or had other reasons not to. The story says even other teams were wondering what the Leafs were going to do with Connor Brown's RFA contract while the Leafs acted as if nothing was wrong.

Didn't this happen a few years ago? I want to say it was the Flyers, or maybe someone else in that division. But everyone was salivating at the thought that you had to be cap compliant at the start of the season before you could use LTIR and would force them to trade some people, and then the team said "no here's our interpretation" and got to go over at the start.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 12, 2017

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The alternate owns but that's a Koho jersey, do they just have a warehouse of them?

And if they do I'll take ten.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I think it was one of the New York/Metro teams that did it but some team's broadcast sublimated ads onto the glass on the and it was terrible. I don't want ads on jerseys but at least they wouldn't distract from the game since it's just another moving piece on something you're already watching.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Player asks and team asks mean nothing for arbitration because they either get something in the middle or hit a deal before they have to accept/decline the decision.

I forget who it was but there was something after the 06 lockout where there was a hilarious discrepancy in the two demands, like $9 million because why not shoot for the stars.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Rob Schremp's path back to the NHL emerges.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://twitter.com/jmackeypg/status/889492097589538817

That's higher than I wanted but the D market seems to be high, Shattenkirk aside.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Yeah the deal buys out three years of UFA. I think he's a fine player, doesn't make many mistakes, but doesn't contribute much offensively. If he takes harder assignments to give Schultz/Letang more time in the offensive zone I'm not too upset.

Weird to think how Dumoulin became the most important direct piece of the Staal trade. Sutter was meh but they got Bonino out of him. Pouliot is going to die in the NHL or get picked up on waivers by someone this year.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
That's a fair move. I know R-Lam gets piled on for even suggesting the jackets will regress next year but it's good to see management isn't convinced that everything is gravy.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Mike_V posted:

https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/892586065395159041

Fine, sure. I just hope he isn't on the Blues roster unless there are a number of injuries. One of Schmaltz, Walman or Dunn needs to be on the roster this year.

I read that tweet and thought it was an offer sheet at first and got excited. Then i remembered the GMs are a bunch of stooges.

N/V August: When a Nate Prosser Offer Sheet Sounds Exciting

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 2, 2017

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The olympics is going to be a poo poo show and Bettman is going to be smug as gently caress about it, blissfully ignoring it would rate better if the league went.

Granted the olympics do nothing for the NHL so he's not wrong to do this.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Schlesische posted:

Yeah because Korea and China are definitely places the NHL doesn't want to have like the sport.
Quick question: when Manchester United plays games in Shanghai, you think they're doing it out of the goodness of their heart to grow the game?

There's a difference between playing one or two games as part of an already international league tournament and shutting down your league for three weeks in the middle of its season to let star players represent their country. The NHL would be totally fine with playing two games in Pyeongchang or another place they want to grow the game (as they have done in the past) if they had more control over the marketing/advertising/anything after the games are done.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Everything we see here though is anecdotal or snapshot moments of people watching a singular event. There's no telling if the people who watched Oshie score or watched a random game go on to be NHL fans, and the league doesn't have the evidence to suggest that they do. The fact that they can't capitalize on those moments may be the league's own fault, but it's hard to argue with their standpoint of not wanting to shut down the league for three weeks and not get any monetary benefit from it.

I'd love it if the players went because it's a tournament with most of the best players all caring about the outcome and playing intense hockey. The NHL is insane if they think they can get players to care about a World Cup to replace the olympics. But when looking at it from ownerships perspective and not the lens of a fan, passing on the olympics makes plenty of sense.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I refuse to believe Murray has that much personality. Ten Matt Murrays wouldn't have that much personality.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Hockey goons, my band is about to embark on a 10-week tour of US/Canada. We tour extensively quite often, we're a duo of brothers. I play drums, he plays guitar/loops, we work with the engineer of The Melvins. Mix of heavy rock and a sort of cinematic post-rock I suppose. Come say hi, mainly because I've never met any of you in real life and have been posting here for a long while.

http://www.jerkagram.com/tour

We're going almost everywhere, and if you live in a major non-Alberta Canadian city, we will be playing it.

*end shameless promotion*

I missed your last show in Pittsburgh and now you're not coming. I'm sorry ok?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Unless he wants to play for a contender or specifically says he isn't interested, I'm surprised some basement team hasn't offered him whatever he wants with the intention of moving him for futures at the deadline.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Jordan7hm posted:

That's what Calgary is doing.

I figured someone like Vegas would easily open their books for him. I know he could fall off the rails this year, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Ginette Reno posted:

Their new play-by-play guy is kinda boring. I miss Pete Weber.

For a minute I thought Nashville had that crazy bowling guy from the 90s doing broadcast.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Kilza posted:

But you gotta feel for them! First that punk rear end kid Ho-Sang steals Lemieux's number, now some floaty Russian Shipachyov is stealing Crosby's number?!? Won't somebody please think of the Pens fans??? Haven't they suffered enough?!?

You mean Brashear's number :colbert:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Reminder that the Flames didn't know that if Colorado hadn't matched Calgary would have to give up the compensation and still put O'Reilly on waivers because he played in Russia after the NHL season started.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Hope y'all are ready for the next lockout because GMs can't save themselves from themselves.

Is Donald Fair still running things for the PA? I know management will always come out on top over labor, but at least him seemed like he caught the owners off guard by being competent and didn't let the players get their poo poo handed to them too badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Can't wait for the media to eat them alive for not being competitive.

• Locked thread