Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Rip Niemi. You were never good and I loving hate you.

G'work, Nill. Only about 2.5 years too late.

Also, the Stars signed esa lin... Ah, who am I kidding, no one cares.

Countdown till bishop gets rrrrrreal bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just put MSL's legs in the hall. The rest if him can wait a couple ballots.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

grack posted:

That's a pretty good deal for Dallas. Why the 2020 2nds? Is it supposed to be a really strong draft class or something?

For this particular trade, I'd say Nill just knows he probably ain't gonna be around in 2020.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

xzzy posted:

The last time anything a goon did made it to the media involves Sbisa so it kind of makes sense.

Uh, back to back cups?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

xzzy posted:

Oh sorry I didn't know the local pittsburg rag ran coverage on two years of citizen tayne spamming "the pittsburgh penguins will win the cup".

I was talking about the goon that got traded there then won two cups.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Oh, don't worry, the leafs and oilers are almost certain to do the same. The lich king and the nepotism crew got a taste of success. They ain't letting that go now.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

McDavid might just drag the oilers back to the playoffs again, but the leafs are going to miss. Not only that, they'll be in the hunt (barely, probably) and be buyers at the deadline. Gonna lose major competitiveness a few years down the line for some lovely rentals over the next couple season. Hth.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jesus, pens fans cup drunk or just delusional?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

P sure you'd have to pay someone to take maatta at this point.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

And emelin/Sbisa both got selected and apparently have value. I concede the point.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It amuses me to no end that the oilers managed to pick first overall half a dozen times in a row then proceeded to trade half those top picks away for nothing and still manage to find their way into cap hell so quickly. Runner-up gm of the year, fo sho.

Plus they'll really be in trouble when they're in danger of missing the playoffs next season and sell the future at the deadline.

E: obviously not the Connor Leon future, but the lesser future. What I'm saying is they suck.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pens should totally sign Niemi as a backup. I'm mean, it would only be a problem if he was called upon to play in the playoffs, and what are the odds of the pens needing a backup to play in the playoffs?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mage_Boy posted:

You do realize the Pens have another promising young rookie goalie in the AHL right? This is totally another monkey's paw wish waiting to happen.

Not sure I get your argument. So if Murray went down in the playoffs they would start the ahl rookie?

Anyway, don't sign Niemi (when we'll trade you Kari :v:)

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It would be a crime if no one signed jagr.

The crime being when the mob kills him for no longer being able to maintain his gambling debts.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah the last time the Penguins did that it worked out real badly

for everyone else

Wasn't Murray the backup? If the argument is they don't need Niemi in the playoffs because they have a starter ready then why sign him at all?

Whatever, probably beat to just ignore my COMPLETELY loving JUSTIFIED irrational hatred for Niemi.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

that third line would definitely be the first line

Doesn't av give all 3 top lines identical minutes anyway?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ennis is still playing, eh? Good for that tiny man. Good deal for Buffalo.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I love how they tried doing something smart and different then 15 days in were like, yeah, no, gently caress this, bring in the olds.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Maybe wouldn't be the worst idea to package Atkinson. He's got a lot of talent but I can't really see him repeating or building on his 35 goal performance last year. He's pushing 30 and turning him into Duchene would be pretty sweet.

E: then again, I don't see why Colorado would want him.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Is it possible Eakins just had his brain temporarily broken by being in Edmonton? Wasn't he highly touted as being good with the youngs when he was still with the Marlies? Maybe another chance is in order...

Oh, right, the swarm. Nvm

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ThinkTank posted:

Please poison your relationship with McDavid Chiarelli. Please.

Also

What's more important? Safety and security for him and his family in the very tangible concept of money or the completely inconsequential and arbitrary idea that he might win more valueless trophies by being paid less? Hmmmmmmmmm really hard to say.

:lol:

I'm laughing at the implications of Edmonton winning anything, let along multiple things.

Also, lol good work leafs. Definitely should be in win now mode. Go spend some assets!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I don't hate the Radulov signing because all the goals is all you need but that's a buyout candidate if I've ever seen one.

gently caress it, defense is pointless. Save us big ben. No one get injured this time round.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shinjobi posted:

The stars might be good this year

Maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I believe. They proved that all you need is goals and I have tempered but moderate expectations of bishop. Then again, that d corps...

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Schlesische posted:

The D-corps is still garbage and I'm not sold that the guy you have in net is going to cover for it.
Ben Bishop's best year was behind the Tampa Bay d-corps which is staggeringly underrated and is so far beyond what Dallas can offer.

In other words, they're going to win games 7-6 or they're going to lose.

They won the west with a better d (not like a good one, just better than this crop) and really really bad goaltending.

They were bad last year but everyone was out to start the season and when they caught some stride they were already way too far gone from the playoff picture.

Honestly, it could be a coin flip but I'm optimistic. I highly doubt they're able to be as bad as last year at the very least. Despite the central being the central I don't see Winnipeg taking a major step, the hawks probably don't do so well this year and Minnesota is gonna get worse. And since the Atlantic is still p bad I imagine the stars make the playoffs provided they don't get hosed with injuries again.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Cody franson is still a decent 2-4 guy, no? He just asking too much or is everyone really so happy with their defence?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mike_V posted:

If they want Yak to be useful, they should probably play him on Duchene's wing but I don't think they'll do that (if Duchene is even on the Avs at the start of the year).

If I'm the avs I give him all the pp time and staple him to better players to fool some dumb gm at the deadline into thinking he's a good player. I mean, they're hosed this year anyway, so might as well make a point to flip assets and stockpile picks and prospects.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I, too, think Crosby should retire. Malkin as well, while we're at it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Actually, he's in my keeper league, so not 'till after next season.

Speaking of which, I've been putting together a list of outliers and off year players from last season. The idea being that I want to avoid things like drafting TJ Oshie's 20%+ shooting on my fantasy teams. If there's interest, I can put together a thread to discuss things like who will get worse, who will rebound, who got a shiny new linemate, and who got traded to/signed with Colorado.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Duckman2008 posted:

gently caress Pittsburgh, but you're on loving acid if you think Mike Sullivan is a bad coach, and wasn't a big part of how the Penguins won the last two years.

Yeah, well with those stars anyone could.... or, right, Johnson.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

2037: I don't care about the Cyborg Wars, I'd still take Jagr on my team.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Koopa Kid posted:

Pizza Pizza is the only fast food I can think of that's objectively disgusting but literally everyone I know will eat it, mostly out of childhood nostalgia and sheer availability.

It's the second one. Also the only reason anyone has ever consumed the food at Tim Hortons.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I liked the plain croissants okay but I had one a few weeks back and they seemed to have put a little bit of sugar in top of it, which is disgusting.

So, uh, what kind of beer do you guys like/dislike?

E: eh, that's a real lovely page snipe. Uuuuuh, stars resigned Brett Ritchie for two year at 1.75 per. He's still a rfa at the end. He won't turn any heads, but he's a good depth guy with nice underlying stats and will pot like 10-maybe15 and like 20 helpers. That's, uh, news, right?

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 13, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

According to the most recent polls, 40 percent of Americans are already there.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Good deal, good pun.

Stars have invited r j umberger to a PTO because... well, I'm not really sure why.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

He was like, "imma celebrate by listening to my favourite rapper" and then put Ondrej.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Well now I won't be surprised.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Suspicious posted:

Tandems work okay if you have 2 goalies that are too good to be backups but not good enough to be starters.

What if you just have two really poo poo backups?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ginette Reno posted:

The Leafs immediately pivoting to win now status

Funniest part of the offseason so far.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The signing sucks but what it represents is the real worrying bit. Looked like they were finally committed to building an actual team for a bit there. Shame they're so high on that litch king they got running things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hand Knit posted:

I mean they signed some old dudes, but they didn't trade anyone away either. It looks more like the "veteran mentorship" fetish that led to them giving Roman Polak two years than a team that's trying to skip ahead in the rebuild and go all in.

It's not like trading Rask for Raycroft or Steen and Colaiaccovo for Stempniak.

I dunno, some of the other old man contracts they signed don't seem so awful, but Marleau just screams "we're close and just need that extra piece".

I see your point about asset management. That's fair. Guess in the end it only costs them cap space and a contract slot. Just seems like the opposite type of move they should be doing.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what they do at the deadline.

• Locked thread