Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

yellowcar posted:

McDavid is gonna get offersheeted by a cooler team and he's gonna be all 'peace out'.
0% chance that actually happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
There are a lot of enforcers you could pick up for nothing.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Andreychuk would be an embarrassing induction.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
He was never the best player on his team or even his line (getting to play with Lafontaine, Turgeon and Gilmour). If he never played with Gilmour during Gilmour's best years than no one would care about him at all. He was terrible defensively and mediocre 5-on-5. For a guy who's case is 100% his goal scoring he only had 2 years in the top 10, both when Gilmour was carrying him, finishing 9th and 4th. He finished 9th and 16th in points and otherwise always out of the top 20 in scoring. He had a lot of really crappy 20 goal/30 point seasons at the end of his career where he'd get to much power play time, which added 120 goals and 200 points when he was not a contributing player, and brings him from Pat Verbeek level of scoring. Related: Pat Verbeek was better than him. He gets a lot of credit for his Cup run in Tampa, when he scored 1 goal in the playoffs and was not one of the 10 best players on his own team. He benefited from playing in a very high scoring era, from getting to play with really good centres who all did well without him and from sticking around for 7 years after he was any good. He was never one of the best players in the league. If Andreychuk were the best player on your team, your team was not making the playoffs. Ciccarelli and Nieuwendyk were already bad choices but I think Andreychuk would be a few rungs lower. Of eligible forwards who have had to wait awhile Recchi and Kariya should be far far ahead. Mogilny and Turgeon, neither of which I would really care to induct, should be far ahead. Propp and Middleton should be ahead, and by then we've inducted about 100 forwards from the 80's and 90's.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Lyle Odelein once made Team Canada. The Americans won that year

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

As a Leafs fan, I would love to have Joseph in the Hall. However, because goalies have such a difficult time getting inducted. Since 1990, only Smith, Fuhr, Roy, Belfour, Hasek, and Vachon have been inducted. After looking at their respective careers, I think Barrasso and Joseph are a lot closer than I originally had thought, so maybe I shouldn't have been so hard on Joseph in my post. Maybe I am now rethinking this!

I was looking at the Vezina voting in 1999, and Joseph just barely lost the Vezina to Hasek. Hasek was the better goalie, no doubt (.937 SV% compared to a .910, for starters), but Joseph actually took more 1st place votes than Hasek. However, Hasek ate up a whole ton of second-place votes. It seems that while voters were split between Hasek and Joseph (Dafoe actually equalled Hasek's first-place votes, too), all the voters who thought Joseph/Dafoe were #1 then thought that Hasek was #2. Joseph didn't really have many votes outside of #1, in comparison to the top-4.

I hope that last paragraph was as fun for everyone else as it was for me.
There was a weird backlash against Hasek that year (mostly on the personal side), coupled with some Joseph appreciation campaign that got him pretty surprising Vezina and Hart consideration. Hasek finished behind Yashin in the Hart voting, which is a bizarre choice in retrospect. Hasek was at least as good as he was the previous 2 years when he won landslide Hart votes. CuJo got a lot of credit for turning around the Leafs but they went from the 4th worst offense in 98 to the best in 99, and he had better seasons after while getting much less consideration.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I'm glad Kariya and Recchi are in.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
If they're going to keep inducting 3-4 guys a year then we're going to see some weiiiiiiird guys get in. There aren't a lot of near retirement guys on the horizon who would be likely candidates.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
First ballot isnt that meaningful in hockey.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Kilza posted:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, 2011-12: 62 GP, 18-34-52, got a shoulder injury, robbed of the Calder
Nail Yakupov, 2012-13: 48 GP, 17-14-31, 5th in Calder voting

You could at least look at their first year stats, which are both respectable for rookies, before going "nah look at these 1st overall picks they both suck!!!".

Both Hischier and Patrick will be fine. There's no need for either of them to be in junior any longer.
It's also been a pretty amazing run for #1 picks panning out in recent years, it's never going to work out where they all become stars. Meanwhile all the #1 picks who were held back have had disappointing careers since Sundin.

Also because of the lockout they both got additional development time, where RNH was over a P/G in the AHL and Yak was near it in the KHL. Those are guys who would've been brought up ASAP and if either had to an extra year in the CHL when they were doing well at the pro level I question how much they could have learned.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Is Joe Sakic going to do anything about his very bad team? I see that he chose to keep the coach
I think it's been said that Duchene seems to be staying as well.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I feel like every statement the Canucks have made recently suggests that they're not at all committed to a rebuild.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
:|

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Jordan Staal is really good.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Kilza posted:

In addition to Gagner and Del Zotto, they're also looking at Burmistrov:
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/880939507851431936

Not really sure what the end goal is for Jim Benning with these signings, given that they're supposed to be rebuilding.
I could see them as cheap, relatively high upside guys that you could sell at the deadline if they have a nice season. I also doubt that they're the level of player that's really going to prevent Vancouver from bottoming out.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
If McDavid goes down to 12.75 which seems to be what Simmons is suggesting, what the hell are you going to do with that 500K that you couldn't do before. The initial reports were that he might get 14 so he may have already done then that favour.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

grack posted:

Radulov is 30 years old and has broken 20 goals once in his NHL career. It is a stupid, stupid contract.
There are actual issues with the contract but you can't be serious with this one.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Markov was great this year. The bottom could always fall out but he's held up as well as any old defenseman.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Any team that is not a threat for the #1 overall pick has a worthwhile shot at making the conference finals.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

Hockey is one of those sports where one player alone can't make that drastic of a difference to one team. Tanking is the most effective way to get yourself at worst what, a fifth overall pick (?) who will help you down the line, but as the Oilers showed before McDavid it's not enough to offset terrible management. Same can be said for the NFL. The MLB is a little different in how the farm system is almost mandatory. The NBA is probably the greatest example of a league where you need a lottery given the smaller roster size and ability to be on the court for a higher percentage of the game.
That still sounds like you're saying that it's the second most superstar driven of the North American ones, which is true.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

McDavid has poo poo tons of potential, but is he the best
Yes

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Sounds like he got cowed into taking less money over the whole gotta take one for the team thing. Man, McDavid is so afraid of ever seeming like he is anything but a party man. That idiocy where he insisted the team practice on a CBA mandated off day pretty much sums him up. If management implies he's being even slightly selfish, he immediately backs down. Just once I'd like the NHL to have a superstar that isn't afraid to speak his mind or put himself first.

I think being voted the best player in the league by the media and your peers means you have a strong case for being called the best player in the league.
I could see not calling Kane or Price the best player even after they won a ton of awards in landslide fashion, because you could chalk up both to having big time career years that they were unlikely to do match. That doesn't apply to McDavid.

That stupid loving article and the mentality that surrounds it worked.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

congratulations to oilers management on tricking a guy who is barely not a teenager into taking 1 million less dollars per year and framing it as "McDavid was uncomfortable with 13.25 million but 12.25 million is fine" and also for getting him to sign for 8 years and forego the poo poo loads of money he'd get as a UFA
I think he could've pushed for 14 and gotten it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
McDavid is ahead in P/60 in both even strength and on the power play, their CF% is basically identical and he is doing it with worse teammates

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

If Tocchet actually knows how to interview well enough to fool a GM into thinking he knows anything about ice hockey, which he most certainly does not
This is getting stupid in a hurry.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

Since people know who Slevin is, I assume that someone is watching Hurricanes games. So, what's the deal with Hanifin? Is he still projected to be a top D? Is he taking the Hedman route of waiting a few years before becoming elite?
The amount of defensemen who broke out at age 20 is quite small, and it includes guys like Phaneuf and Myers.

I don't think he was ever supposed to be as good as Hedman was, though.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Jagr is still a good player and would fit on every team in the league.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

Even with that picture I am shocked as gently caress the Coyotes let him back into the organization.
Why?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

JawKnee posted:

surprising that Vanek, Pirri, and Chisasson haven't been grabbed up yet. Asking for too much maybe?
Vanek had a legitimately good player who that might apply too. Pirri and Chiasson are the kind of guys who should play in the Swiss league.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

Did a bot make that tweet? None of that makes even the slightest sense or has any chance at all of happening
First they trade Letang for Kessel, then Murray for Letang and finally Kessel for Murray. All because they hired a guy as coach who they actually hired as coach 2 years ago, but who has now been promoted.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

A two-year view of Lazar misses the problem last year: he was on the worst line in the NHL with Chris Neil and Chris Kelly. The worst line in hockey.

Sens also played Matt Puempel with those two, then let him go for nothing. He's not a great player, but both of these guys are a thousand times better than Chris Neil, age 405.
Lazar's stats, as bad as they were, plummeted away from Neil while Neil away from Lazar had regular 4th line numbers. He was legitimately the worst performer on that line. The year before he got a fair amount of time with Pageau and dragged him down considerably. He also was very bad in the AHL this year.

a false posted:

i seem to recall that. i also remember him being called a top notch work ethic and character guy, which is maybe what led people to believe he was safe, because guys who work that hard are always going to will themselves to the nhl or some poo poo
He got a ton of leadership talk, including eventually becoming captain of Canada in the World Juniors and all the local media talking about him as our future captain before he was a regular even with Karlsson here. He also was supposed to be a good defender and kill penalties, but man did that ever pan out.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Don Brennan was still pushing the Lazar as future captain bit even after the trade

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Speaking of Stromes, why did Matthew Strome fall to #106 in the draft this year? The scouting reports seem to mostly be glowing, except for his skating, which is apparently horrible?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=268417
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/hamilton-bulldogs-winger-matthew-strome-wont-top-2017-nhl-draft-pick/
He's both big is and from a prominent hockey family so for the scouts not to like him is a bit telling. His stats for his draft year are good but not that far ahead of the average 4th rounder, pretty far behind Ryan and Dylan's draft years.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Awesome deal

I still think Nashville should probably have traded Ekholm or Ellis for Duchene before the expansion draft, then they could have protected Neal as well

That being said, extremely stoked that the core of the team is locked up long term assuming the Johansen deal is done soon
From what has been said it would've taken a bigger offer than that.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
That sucks.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Thufir posted:

Some hockey writer on twitter was pointing out a while ago that the McDavid contract being so high was going to set the bar really high for 2nd-tier first liners
That's total nonsense

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
What the gently caress is that ask.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Semin was a very good player until he got severely concussed in Carolina and never recovered from it. People made all sorts of bizarre complaints about him, like how he was only good in contract years despite that he had a pretty continual string of one year contracts in Washington or questions about his defensive commitment when he was always solid in his own end. I also think expectations of him also spiraled out of control.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

Granted the olympics do nothing for the NHL
Bullshit

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/896773095733833732

This is an amazingly bad list of projected goals/assists/points.
The answer to that question is Ryan Strome but what's #2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
You think Pastrnak would get a killer return, but...

• Locked thread