Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Where did you get the black jersey Mario and Jagr ones? I have the other two, didn't get the new Crosby yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Flyinglemur posted:

Hallmark, as they came out.

Ooh I see, gonna have to ask my mom how she missed those, she has hundreds of hallmark ornaments.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Flyinglemur posted:

I WILL get a Talbot Team Canada jersey if he makes the team

Matt Murley is going to play in the South Korean pro league this year so just pencil him right in for Team USA

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I know a lot of people who know Patty and he has that same robot learning to smile face in every picture he's ever taken.

Marleau Face is well known around these parts

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

AHL and CHL jerseys are CCM brand and don't have any of the weird new Adidas collars or fabric or numbers

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I got a program from that Skydome opening night thing in the Blue Jays team store for 50 cents in 2008, it was basically just as ridiculous but in print form.

Anyway, if you want to laugh at some whiny dumbasses check out the comments on any local news article about the Penguins Hockeyville exhibition game being moved from Rostraver Ice Gardens to the Lemieux practice rink. You wouldn't want your beer league team to play in Rostraver, it's not surprising in the slightest the NHL isn't going there.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Rostraver is still getting the $150,000 but honestly $15,000,000 wouldn't bring it up to snuff

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

It was worse when Jason Giambi retired, he was the last active Big Four player to be drafted in the 80s

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

There are zero metrics that support the Olympics benefitting the NHL. Attendance doesn't go up. Ratings don't go up. Merch sales don't go up. It's not even a correlation, let alone causation.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

If the players wanted to go so badly they would have taken the NHL's offer to suspend the regular season for it again.

No one is being a rebel and going.

No one is being the cool owner and saying it's OK for my guys to skip out anyway.

No one who doesn't already love hockey a real lot is going to tune in at 7 am and get hooked on the sport.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Dual citizenship, has played for Canada internationally

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Levitate posted:

The NCAA would probably disqualify anyone who went because the NCAA sucks

Actually the Olympics are a huge hypocritical hole in the NCAA. They are allowed to collect training stipends and medal bonuses.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

yellowcar posted:

Bettman won't even let players from the minors (with a two-way contract) go to Pyeongchang.

Well yeah they're subject to the CBA. What kind of AAAA team-only contract guys are there? You know, the Darren Haydar dudes.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I'm glad Matt Murray is a good goalie but there's like, zero stories about him. poo poo, even Sid likes fishing and Friends reruns.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Jersey came. I ordered the patch separate. It's made in Canada and feels like the good replica jerseys used to, aka not flimsy and thin.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Proving his terrible opinions aren't just limited to hockey, Jeremy Roenick shared a fake James Harrison quote threatening anyone who dares not stand for the national anthem

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Did Simmons ever have a response to making up the hot dog story whole cloth and making GBS threads on Phil's playing ability or did he just act like he never said any of it

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Any idea what the Penguins offered Cullen to stay or did he just want to go to Minnesota

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

If your sport doesn't have a lockout it's because your union sucks. Owners aren't afraid of poo poo and see no reason to offer compromise to avoid a stoppage.

Even the MLBPA, what people generally considered a strong union, has been getting embarrassed by Tony Clark, who has no clue what he is doing, just so they can say "look! Labor peace!"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Pretty much all pro athletes have lovely politics unless they explicitly say otherwise, don't worry about it

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

31 teams don't want Jagr, now one team is going to give him $3.7 million yeah ok

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Yeah, Jagr should have already taken his victory lap for the Penguins a couple years ago, and it pretty much can't happen this year until the trade deadline and even then it would be a desperation move because of injuries or something.

I will say this, some April or October Jagr and Bonds should get their numbers retired as close together as possible.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

It's basically impossible to buy NHL merch right now because of the switch, you're going to have to wait

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I want to say the 88 was for a family friend who died or something but I can't find the story now

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

1. Guentzel should play wing with Crosby
2. They can get a third line center by the trade deadline, who cares

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I understand why many rooted for the Sharks and Predators but you have to admit it's Cool and Good that MAF and the Penguins killed the Red Wings for the foreseeable future in 2009

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/theScoreNHL/status/905548220108906496

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this, but I don't hate it.

It's a lovely idea. Losing your timeout is enough. You're already gambling that the NHL won't gently caress up the replay call, now a penalty will just make teams not do it, which is what they want but they are afraid to eliminate the challenge entirely.

If they were worried about calls being "too close" then have the blue line extend up like the end zone.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The whole point of replay is to get more calls right and if you are going to disincentivize that, don't loving bother having it at all

hifi posted:

what other stuff gets challenged anyways? goalie interference i guess

No one actually knows what is or isn't goalie interference, though. The only thing worse is the NFL catch rules.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

Cost, benefit. I'd love to have super computers to get every call right immediately. Until then, I don't like the action grinding to a halt once or twice a panty.

Where is this epidemic of the action grinding to a halt because of frivolous, spiteful challenges to goals? There are already limits on how much you can challenge and a negative outcome if you are wrong. Maybe have a hard countdown on the review and if they can't decide by then, call stands.

They are mad that HD cameras can now point out guys being an inch offside and this is their way of making it so no one ever challenges a goal anymore unless a guy is like 3 strides over the line.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Wonderllama posted:

Sorry but the "shoot for the moon" offsides call after an opponents scores a goal, or the Sullivan, is extremely annoying and losing a timeout wasn't enough of a deterrent.

Then change the offside rule because results like that are 100% correct under the rulebook

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Parros went to Princeton but that still doesn't justify putting a punchman in a player safety role

The NHL is even more stupid and callous about brain damage than football at this point. The NFL is trying to cover up the cumulative effects of a lifetime of playing their sport, the NHL won't even do anything about single and immediate violent injuries.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

grack posted:

Well if they do it could be used against them in a lawsuit.

Remedial actions are not admissible evidence for this exact reason

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Not sure why they need to raise the age limit, unlike football and basketball who maintain it in order to protect the interests of their free minor league

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Aurora posted:

Funkos are bad

I will never understand them, ever. "are yall tired of bobbleheads? what if we made them even uglier?"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Adidas is probably going to use the year off for thirds to come up with some absolutely horrid ones

Their reasoning for why there aren't any of this year seems odd while Nike is rolling out as many as four jerseys for some of the more popular NBA teams this year

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Didn't we learn 10 years ago that jerseys without a hem stripe look stupid as hell?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Teams hand out retired numbers like candy anymore, so what

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Rangers are probably only a couple more wet playoff farts away from retiring another 94 number

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Adidas says the new jerseys will be available next Friday for $180 blank and $225 numbered. Makes you wonder what corners they cut to knock the price down like $100 from the Reebok "retail authentics", and if they just put a fight strap on a replica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Tom Kostopolous for Team Canada

Matt Murley for team USA. Too bad Andy Chiodo just retired, we could have a real Wilkes-Barre party there

• Locked thread