Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Koopa Kid posted:

I didn't say anything about contract limits, the league can reject a contract they think the player doesn't intend to honour as that violates the second paragraph of the standard SPC. The mechanism would have been the exact same as for rejecting the Kovalchuk deal, and sure that contract was extreme but everyone knew what was happening with the Luongo, Zetterberg, and Franzen contracts. They absolutely didn't have to approve those deals.

But even the nutso Kovalchuk one got appealed by the NHLPA, maybe the Zetterberg and Franzen ones seemed like they might have made it past an arbiter, they only backdive for 2 years and a million bucks is still a lot of money. Chris Chelios was still an active NHL-ish player! With 20/20 hindsight yeah, they should have drawn a line sooner (probably with the Hossa contract) but I could see them kinda not being sure what limits they could get away with setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Nashville is changing up their broadcast team. Stu Grimson is out as TV color guy, replaced by Chris Mason, and good ol Hal Gill is taking over radio color.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Their new play-by-play guy is kinda boring. I miss Pete Weber.

That reminds that Steve Mears is the Pens PBP guy this year. I suspect he'll be pretty boring as well but boring is probably still an improvement over Steiggy, though I will miss Steiggy pissing everyone off who is unfortunate enough to watch the Pens feed.

Yeah, Daunic isn't very good on PBP. Pete Weber still does the radio broadcast.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Kerfoot is going to Colorado.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I think with Kerfoot, Colorado now has 4 NHL-ish d-men under contract.

Scratch that, I am dumb

Thufir fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 23, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Zat posted:

So the KHL season started, and Preds prospect Eeli Tolvanen scored a hat trick in his first professional game, all of them beauties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Taux3G6FE

It would be rad if he turned into a good NHLer as the 30th pick. I think his draft stock fell some because he got his admission to BC rescinded for academic reasons.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey now, Stanley Cup hero Trevor Daley is on that list.

That might be the worst one. "Hey our team is probably going to be terrible for a while. Let's give a 33 year-old a 3 year deal with a NTC!"

Thufir fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 24, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah Grantland was the other example I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name.

Man, this just seems doomed to fail. I'd love to know how they convinced those venture capitalists to give them $2M because right now I can only assume it was through hypnotism or blackmail.

Uber lost almost $3 billion last year, $2m is nothing.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Poile, why? :(

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Isn't Cam Fowler not that good?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Technetium posted:

Poor Cody Franson

This happened to him the last time he was a free agent too.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Levitate posted:

(can't remember why they got that tax deal in the first place)

About what you would expect

"The tax break has been enshrined in law since 1982, when mayor Ed Koch approved it to keep the Garden's owners from acting on a threatened move to New Jersey."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/tax-exemption-saves-msg-chairman-dolan-48-5m-fiscal-yr-article-1.2589753

Thufir
May 19, 2004

grack posted:

But probably less poo poo than Vancouver

Vegas has more NHL defensemen than Colorado.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/903723734451855360

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Flyinglemur posted:

"I don't think he's hit rock bottom because people reach out for help when they hit bottom" - his agent from the loving article.

Yeah, OR they keep digging deeper even going around or through "rock bottom" because the only real rock bottom is loving death. Sometimes people you love can bring your "bottom" to you but even then if he doesn't want to quit, he isn't going to quit. Sorry...that's a thing with me apparently.

Yeah, I thought that too. Like, "Yeah, or he could be dead".

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Good deadline trade bait.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

CommaToes posted:

Carlyle is still on contract with the Ducks.

Sutter is available

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Which playoff series did actually break teams? The 2011 SCF seems like the obvious first choice, but what else? Maybe Leafs-Bruins 2013 but I don't know if the 2013 Leafs counted as not-broken to begin with.

2014 Avs making the playoffs at all tricked them into thinking they were good and Roy was a good coach.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

I remember Kimmo Timmonen wasn't the biggest dude as NHL defensemen went, but that he was still pretty decently sized. Then I saw him next to Joel Embiid :stare:

I mean, any NHL player is going to look small next to someone that is 7'.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

unless Holland is just being a dickhole and telling AA "it's either our offer or nothing."

This is the kind of GM message sending that ends up with Kyle Turris being traded to Ottawa for David Rundblad and a 2nd.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

I want to see a Canadian RFA sign in the KHL.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/905059673614815233

Jordan7hm posted:

O'Reilly was on his third team and was just making the logical "you're not an NHLer, try Europe" move that a lot of guys make.

Wrong O'Reilly

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

I was talking about Ryan O'Reilly. He held out from the Avs and signed in Russia (which also happened to be the lockout year where a bunch of guys went to Europe too). He played the whole season there, and his holdout didn't end until Feaster signed him to that hilarious offer sheet.

He actually bailed from the KHL pretty early https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ryan-o-reilly-metallurg-terminate-khl-contract-deal-152840344--nhl.html

Thufir
May 19, 2004

The Tampa/Nashville/Washington/Florida rookie tournament this weekend got cancelled because of Irma.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

This is going to piss dumb old guys off so much

https://twitter.com/66jhosang/status/905479090760818689

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Levitate posted:

I mean they're ugly as poo poo so they should piss off most people but people gonna be pissed off for other reasons

Yeah I think those particular skates are ugly but I like the idea.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Remember when the NHL was going to stop allowing players to tuck their jerseys and IIRC fined some guys?

edit: Semin got a penalty in the pre-season for it and then basically nobody ever said anything about it again.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

Two inches on or offside is such a minor factor in the game it should never be reviewable. Let the refs call it as they see it and move on with life because if you get scored on I guarantee the fuckup was somewhere else on the ice and you just looking for excuses.

Then pay attention to poo poo that actually makes the game stupid, like defensive zone delay of game or defensive interference on a dump in.

Yeah, this. If you can't make a decision without watching a video for 10 minutes, it was close enough. Just keep out the obvious ones like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7pN56VZOfM

I guess the 2 min penalty might be good at discouraging the close ones but man, with that on the line the officials are going to take extra long on any that do get challenged.

Also, Parros seems like a smart guy.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

yellowcar posted:

His degree is in economics. Here are the reasons why he should be in charge of player health and safety:

They're never going to hire a non-player to do it so he's probably at least as qualified as anyone else they would consider.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Ooh I bet there's a good story. EJ quality maybe.

I think his knee was hurt in the playoffs so maybe overdid it rehabbing that?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Also "Johny Hockey" seems to have maybe spelled his name wrong.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Puts then $4.8M under the cap. That team isn't going to win many games, but they're not in cap trouble and can take on a bad contract or two at the deadline, especially with $14M of the Sedins coming off the books next year.

Yeah, if they're accepting of being terrible this season they could probably put together a decent collection of picks by taking some trash and flipping Vanek etc.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

The Golden Man posted:

League and PA want to gently caress with ppl even harder by moving to an age 19 draft... cocksuckers...

I wonder what the unintended consequences of this will be? Guessing more euro players staying in Europe vs trying the CHL, maybe some top-level NA 18s too?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

JollyPubJerk posted:

poor poor seattle hockey

Hey, they could still be arena leverage for the Flames for the next little bit.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Atlanta Flames deserve a shot imo

Thufir
May 19, 2004

corn on the cop posted:

it's okay the league will fold before then

They'll replace numbers with ads. One day Alex Ovechkin's Geico Caveman jersey will proudly hang in the rafters, alongside the 2025 Honda Pilot Regular Season Champions banner.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

The suggestion from Aaron Portzline was that Boone Jenner+Ryan Murray+1st was the CBJ's offer, but it was never confirmed. Murray was believed to be almost certainly involved because he's expendable and the Avs supposedly wanted a defenseman.

They probably should have taken that.

Levitate posted:

Reportedly Sakic's ask from Nashville was one of their top 4 D and additional pieces

And definitely not happening now that Ellis is out for a while.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Kesler is out til Christmas, is that new or did I miss it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

For no reason whatsoever the name Jan Hlavac crossed my mind for the first time in a decade yesterday.

Man, I remember him being pretty decent in NHL 2003 or something and then being kind of excited when he got traded to Nashville in 2008.

Also that Nashville roster had no business making the playoffs aside from Dan Ellis having his one good year.

• Locked thread