Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i am the bird posted:

Helene St. James, who essentially writes on behalf of Holland, suggested the Red Wings go after Vanek and one of Daley or Girardi.

So, no, I'm not excited for free agency.

her whole logic was basically "tanking...BAD!" because colorado ended up with the 4th pick, which she probably doesn't realize is way better than the 9th pick. otoh, ken holland could get 1st overall and gently caress it up.

e: for anyone that wants to read this garbage

quote:

The goal for the Wings next season is to make the playoffs. [...]

What makes sense on July 1 is to bring back forward Thomas Vanek on a two-year deal averaging no more than $3 million a season. [...]

The Wings also should consider signing one of defensemen Dan Girardi or Trevor Daley for a year – two at most – to help the back end. [...]

If the Wings slip out of the playoff picture by the trade deadline, flip the players for picks. [...]

The Wings have good young assets in Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha, Evgeny Svechnikov, Tyler Bertuzzi and Athanasiou. The 2017 draft saw the Wings stock up on big defensemen who can move the puck, and big centers.
Let Larkin and company mature and grow into their prime years as the Wings try to sustain themselves via the draft, possibly the trade market. Free agency this summer best serves as an avenue to improve the décor rather than set the foundation.
there are so many things wrong with this article, even outside these few excerpts, but the bolded and italicized part aptly illustrates the disconnect between holland & co. and reality.

Gio fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

clean ayers act posted:

:cripes: It's not even tanking to just roll the young kids out there and see how they do. What you shouldn't do is go out and sign a bunch of middling players who will make the team slightly more competitive and end up with a lower draft pick as a result. It's just slowing down the process and taking roster spots from other players.
Oh well, I fully expect 2 years of Jiri Hudler or and Giradi come July 1
exactly. she says signing girardi and vanek are needed stop-gaps, but...stop-gaps for who? their current prospect pool isn't that good. it sure as poo poo ain't a future powerhouse in the making.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

More Holland apologia from Detroit media.

"Detroit News posted:

Holland digs in for plan to dig Wings out

Bob Wojnowski

From one vantage point, the Red Wings look doomed. They don’t have stars in their prime or a stocked farm system, and they don’t have loads of salary-cap space. They also don’t have a proven history of rebuilding because, well, they haven’t done it in 25 years.

Ken Holland has heard the yelps and knows the odds, and he’s not giving in or giving up. He’s also not interested in defending his record of success or belaboring the rough reality of the Wings’ current circumstance. They’re stuck in a difficult spot partly because they’ve avoided it for so long, and Holland takes a lot of the heat. He gets it, agrees with some, vehemently disagrees with some.

The Wings’ longtime GM is digging in, and sticking to the plan for digging out. The Wings won’t make a big splash when free-agency opens Saturday. They won’t trade future picks or prime young assets. They will sign one or two stopgap veterans — possibly a defenseman such as the Penguins’ 33-year-old Trevor Daley — with the goal of reaching the playoffs in their first season at Little Caesars Arena.

That sounds stubborn to some, even though the touted alternative — the unseemly notion of “tanking” for better draft position — provides no clear timetable for success. The Wings are adjusting some elements but Holland isn’t altering his basic philosophy. He loves the size of 6-6 center Michael Rasmussen, taken ninth in the first round of the entry draft. The Wings added bulk and defense with their 11 picks, and when their draft class was ripped as underwhelming by many experts, Holland didn’t fire back.

“If you think we’re a million miles behind everyone else, I disagree,” Holland said Thursday. “It’s a league of parity. I’m not tanking; people pay a heavy price to go to the rink, and I’m trying to put a product on the ice. The plan is to compete for a playoff spot, while not spending any futures. I’m hunkering in and trying to build this thing, and oversee a group that at some point can compete for the Cup.”

‘No shortcuts’

It seems a long way off. The Wings have a terrific captain in Henrik Zetterberg, a three-man core of dynamic youngsters in Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha and Andreas Athanasiou, and not a lot more.

That’s the basic definition of rebuilding, with one caveat. It indeed might take the Wings several years to be a legitimate contender again, but Holland isn’t begging for the time, and deep down, knows there’s no guarantee he’ll get it. This is a franchise that went to the playoffs 25 consecutive years, won four Stanley Cup championships and isn’t willing to slide quietly into oblivion — even if a significant slide is unavoidable.

Ken Holland was named Red Wings GM in July 1997.

David Guralnick, Detroit News

New owner Chris Ilitch hasn’t publicly stated a shift in competitive expectations, although he surely is realistic. He also hasn’t extended Holland’s contract beyond this upcoming season. Holland is aware of the criticism from fans and media, and to a certain extent, has retreated into his work. There’s not much more to explain. If you admit to a complete rebuild when the franchise is moving into a fantastic new arena, you’re devaluing the product at the precise moment it’s gaining more attention.

If you suggest you’re still trying to win right now, you sound huckster-ish. So Holland and coach Jeff Blashill are required to do what many GMs and coaches around the NHL are forced to do — work with what they have and make your own players better.

I doubt Holland will even sniff at a high-priced free-agent this weekend; adding big contracts isn’t the ideal way to manage a roster with too many big contracts. I don’t think he’ll even make another run at Thomas Vanek, whom he signed a year ago and then traded away. There’s no sense in clogging the pathway for younger players unless the addition is a huge upgrade.

“There are no shortcuts,” Holland said. “If we’re going to head this thing up, realistically it’s gotta be done with young people. We had a number of players that didn’t play to their level last year and we’re expecting them to bounce back.”

No saviors on market

Improvement had better come from within, because there aren’t any stars riding into town. When the league’s biggest free-agent prize is Capitals’ defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk, you know there aren’t many quick fixes.

Oh, big names are available — Alexander Radulov, Radim Vrbata, Patrick Sharp, Joe Thornton, Jaromir Jagr, Patrick Marleau — that would be fine signings if this were 2010 and the Wings were flush with cap space. They don’t have much, thanks partly to bad contracts.

Holland has made mistakes, certainly. He’s also been GM since 1997, during the greatest 20-year stretch in franchise history. You can pin much of the success on Scotty Bowman, Steve Yzerman, Nicklas Lidstrom and others, but to overlook Holland’s role is petty.

That said, there’s a lot he still can prove, to quell the noise. When he exposed Petr Mrazek, 25, in the expansion draft instead of Jimmy Howard, 33, the complaints were silly. Howard had a tremendous season when healthy. Mrazek struggled mightily and wasn’t even selected by Las Vegas, and now the Wings theoretically have a more-motivated goalie, and perhaps a less-entitled one.

That’s how it is when a franchise wins one playoff round in six years — every decision is magnified and scrutinized. The Wings aren’t good enough, and Holland and his staff haven’t defied the odds and gotten better without high draft picks. Larkin rebounded nicely at center late last season and the 6-5 Mantha scored 17 goals. The selections of Rasmussen and second-rounder Gustav Lindstrom were panned by some observers, but showed the Wings recognize their weaknesses.

They were too small and tried to get bigger. They were too old and tried to get younger.
Holland respectfully disagrees with those who plopped the Wings in the "losers" category after the draft.

"I think it’s easy for people to find reasons to not like players,” Holland said.

“I certainly understand, when dealing with 18-year-olds, you’re gonna miss more than you’re gonna hit. We like the picks. I think most players we took are good skaters in a league that’s fast.”

Everything moves faster now and the Wings are trying to keep up, even as dire assessments pile up. Holland hears them and understands them, and still believes in his plan to change them.

woo boy

i wouldn't even know where to start with this garbage.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Jonathan Fisk posted:

e: while I actually love gio a lot

thanks, man. i dont know who you are but i appreciate it.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

7 years seems like a long time for a little dwarf man

worked out pretty well the last time tampa had a dwarf man

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i am the bird posted:

The Wings are apparently still in talks with Vanek, but I guess the hitch is shedding salary elsewhere. Despite having all the trappings of an idiotic Holland move, signing Vanek on the cheap and shipping him out at the deadline would probably be worth it.

Tatar is also asking for 6 million but and beat writers are arguing that the Teej contract might pull him down to 5 million. He's one of like 3 moveable assets on the team and he's also not going to be worth his contract by the time team recovers, so just trade him, my dudes.

Trade Tatar. Slot Vanek in. Tank and collect assets. The end.

hosed up thing is the wings offered him a five year deal. you know, because they dont have enough lovely contracts.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i dont mind little caesars pizza tbh. its not "good" but theres way worse. pizza pizza was the absolute loving worst pizza ive ever had, i dont know how you canucks eat that poo poo.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

LCA will be right next to the qline :c00l:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF1o7HQGVVs

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i think, at this stage, you have to be very incompetent as a GM to sign a player to a bad contract.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

How does he act on social media?
curious about this, too

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

the vast majority

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I WANT HOCKEY I NEED HOCKEY AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

a false posted:

currently, the wikipedia article on Ken Holland is: Very Good

nice

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

I don't really care if they have ads on jerseys. And if it's 60 million league wide, that's 2 million per team, which is pretty good profit for doing basically nothing. Especially if your just a break even team, that puts you into a profit.

I just hope that every team has a "Dynamic Fasteners" patch on the rear end of their pants.

but...why do i care about how much the owners make, especially since they will almost assuredly not pass on any savings to fans?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

tomas tatar signed a 4 year deal worth $21.2 million (5.3 per). yay more stupid contracts!!!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

hifi posted:

Tatar was the red wing who was saying this was going to be his last contract with the red wings if it went to arbitration, right?

quick edit: yes http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/07/09/report-tatar-says-arbitration-contract-would-probably-be-my-last-season-in-detroit/

should have let it go to arbitration, one year deal, then trade him. but because holland is in charge, they're rebuilding but not really rebuilding. like, what team says they're "rebuilding" then loads their roster up with more lovely contracts. and what team that's "rebuilding" says their stated goal is to just make the playoffs.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i dont know if that contract is fair or not. (it's probably an overpayment but honestly it's irrelevant.) what i do know is tatar is one of the very few tradable assets they have left. by the time that contract is up he'll be 30, worthless in terms of trade value, and the wings will still suck.

Gio fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 22, 2017

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i am the bird posted:

Tatar has good possession numbers, has been consistently healthy, and is probably a more reliable 50+ point guy if he didn't play on this shithole team.

He's a complete waste during a rebuild, so why not sign him forever!

exactly. he's a solid player that can contribute to a good team, a waste on a basement dwelling team i.e. the Detroit Red Wings National Hockey League Franchise. right now he has value that can be traded for picks at least, a prospect (or two???) if you're lucky.

honestly that contract is probably fair market value, especially given the term. and if i was holland i'd be doing the same thing--hoping this team bounces back and squeaks into the playoffs. it's the only way he keeps his job.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

hahahaha kill me now

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Kilza posted:

To be fair, that includes Franzen, so once he goes on LTIR that'll free up $4 mil in cap space, giving them $1 mil of cap space for a bottom 5 team in the league. And they still have to sign Athanasiou.

jesus christ

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

hifi posted:

team canada rosters for 2 upcoming tournaments that are made up of guys that could play in the olympics

wow. remember bitching about mike smith: olympian? well have rob klinkhammer and justin peters

does anyone have the now years-old nhl.com screenshot of with five 'big name' free agents and a very surprised looking carlo coliacoaovo among them?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Al Sabotka seen driving zamboni down Woodward in downtown Detroit

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Why there are Detroit Red Wings logos at the Nazi rally in Charlottesville

quote:

This weekend’s Nazi demonstrations in Charlottesville, Virginia, are an ugly reminder of our current situation. Since Friday night, the Unite The Right rally has brought together various factions representing white supremacy, white nationalism, fascism, and Nazis to the University of Virginia for marches an violence. It’s a sobering reality, and it takes on a pall of surreality when you notice all the Detroit Red Wings logos among the crowd.

A group of white nationalists called the Detroit Right Wings have appropriated the team’s winged wheel logo, sticking it on the shields they carry.

The Detroit Right Wings (motto: Rust Reforged!) are a Michigan-based group of Identitarians, an anti-immigrant vein of white nationalism that counts Richard Spencer among its proponents.

The video above was created to raise money for the group’s road trip to this weekend’s rally. They raised $328 towards their $2,500 goal. There were four donations in total.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiPWPlUZu00

From the Wings FB page:

jesus loving christ

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

top comment.

at least the retort has more likes, i guess. :/

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

holland is only marginally better than neo-nazis, if that answers your question

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

they must've been really pissed about the trevor daly signing.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

NHL 2017 Off-Season: gently caress nazis. gently caress cancer.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i am shocked. :geno:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

lmao

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Jehde posted:

Okay I'm fine with the Penguins winning the Stanley Cup again now.

thats a tad extreme

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

zetterberg told swedish media he's only playing two more seasons in detroit then loving off to sweden

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/report-henrik-zetterberg-will-leave-detroit-before-contract-ends-then-go-home-to-sweden

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

exact quote: "in a coupl'a years imma prolly gently caress off to sweden"

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

lol if true, but im skeptical considering the source.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

grack posted:

Dhaliwal is legit but he doesn't report a lot on markets outside of Vancouver

which is why i question the source. kind of odd that a leak of this size would come from a beat reporter from BC.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

has there ever been a Canadian player of his caliber gently caress off to russia at his age?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

they should have signed AA first then literally invited other teams to offer sheet tatar.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

According to Custance, Athanasiou has received an offer from the KHL

lmao

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i would still assume this is just being used as leverage in contract negotiations and he'll invariably end up signing with the Wings. good on him, as far as i'm concerned. gently caress ken holland.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

jagr is inhuman. i seriously dont know how it's even physically possible to play in a sport as physically demanding/punishing as hockey for as long as he has, let alone continue to perform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Well, not Uber. Uber isn't meant to succeed though.

yeah i wouldn't call them "proven" when they haven't even turned a profit. there's a lot of people that question whether or not they can be as is.

• Locked thread