Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

https://twitter.com/JeffMarek/status/880424322397024257

He's before my time, but there has always been a soft spot in my heart for people like him and Gino Odjick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I've tried to bring the OP up to date with trades and sufficiently relevant signings. Anything you want me to add that isn't there? (The criteria was my gut feeling of relevance when looking at TSN's free agent tracker.)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Marleau deal is good. He plays a year and a half for Toronto then either hangs out on Robidas Island or gets traded to Vegas once his cap hit is significantly lower than his actual pay.

e: Once his signing bonus finishes, a team can take him on for 1.25 million in actual pay versus a 6.25 million cap hit.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

We're talking about a guy who's played a full season since 2009. I know no one would dare question the institutional integrity of such a storied organization but him suddenly having a LTIR-able condition would be awfully Hossa-esque.

Yeah but the league office has never cared about anything more official than plausible deniability.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/882748291083063296

Quite a bit for someone Leafs fans don't seem to like (as far as I understand it, anyways).

Nice to see Zach Hyman make good on what is almost certainly the only multi-year contract he's ever going to see.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Has Brian Burke ever done anything good? (Serious question)

Tried to barn fight Kevin Lowe over offer sheeting Dustin Penner.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

a false posted:

this is one of the best things anyone has done in hockey

How many of the top 10 things in hockey history are some version of off-ice confrontation? Because there's Terry O'Reilly going into the crowd, the Flyers fan going into the box to fight Tie Domi, and, while they don't make the overall list, I love Tortorella at the Flames dressing room and injured as gently caress Darcy Tucker going from the press box to rinkside to try and get at Cam Janssen after Janssen hit Kaberle.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

A player going through the glass to smash the green men would be a top 5, for sure

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

The signing sucks but what it represents is the real worrying bit. Looked like they were finally committed to building an actual team for a bit there. Shame they're so high on that litch king they got running things.

I mean they signed some old dudes, but they didn't trade anyone away either. It looks more like the "veteran mentorship" fetish that led to them giving Roman Polak two years than a team that's trying to skip ahead in the rebuild and go all in.

It's not like trading Rask for Raycroft or Steen and Colaiaccovo for Stempniak.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

I dunno, some of the other old man contracts they signed don't seem so awful, but Marleau just screams "we're close and just need that extra piece".

Why do you think that? Like, there are more cost efficient options out there, but Zach Hyman was fourth on the team in ATOI last year so they did need another top 6 winger who killed penalties, and Marleau's contract is set up so that he's probably only gonna play two years for the Leafs. They overpaid for a necessary upgrade — they didn't mortgage anything.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

They didn't give up physical assets, but cap space is a commodity in and of itself. Considering JVR's contract is up in a year's time, it probably means the team can no longer fit him in under the cap. Is one year of Marleau worth losing JVR next summer? I'd argue no.

He's also on a 35+ contract so the full amount counts against the cap if he retires early. The only relief they can get is to buy him out.

Actually its been confirmed that 35+ players do not get salary relief if bought out. Marleau will cost the Leafs the full $6.25M per year he is owed regardless of whether he is bought out, retired or put on LTIR.

They're already trying to trade JVR so I suspect that's not going to be an issue. And, I think, it is probably a good idea to let JVR walk since his defence already comes close to negating his offence, which is kind of impressive, when you consider that his offence is really good.

Anyway, I think that talking about cap space in this way is already a bit of a move from the original discussion, which was whether the Marleau signing represented the Leafs trying to go all in or skip the rebuild or something to that effect. To say that they didn't really give anything up to sign Marleau, in the context of the conversation, is probably best taken along the lines of "they didn't trade picks or prospects for anyone." Like sure they could've gotten a comparable player to Marleau for, like, 2.5/1 or something, but burning cap space is not the same as trading futures.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Ligur posted:

hay guyz how is the Leafs defence?

like for real though, they have this uhhh rielly who is apparently good?

Their top six this year is probably gonna be Gardiner/Rielly/Zaitsev/Carrick/Marincin/Hainsey which is fine. Their biggest problem last year was relying on Hunwick/Polak for serious shutdown stands towards the end of the game, and I dunno if they've done anything to fix that, but outside of that they're probably average to above average.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Golden Man posted:

Jerseys are already ads

Sports fandom is a conflict where fans fight with the team for control of the brand. Nobody wants to fight for possession of Allstate Insurance.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Golden Man posted:

I'm gonna beat Daryl Katz by buying five Draisaitl jerseys

I don't know that this strategy promises much success.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

To me sports fandom is about seeing My Boys from Our City kick the poo poo out of A Bunch of Pussies from The Wrong City so that the people from that place, which is probably lovely, feel bad.

Yeah and you want them to be 'my boys from our city' and not 'profitable employee for megacorp.' The players should belong to you, not Rogers.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Delightfully on-brand for both Burke and Johnson.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Want to rescue this from the bottom of a page because it's really good.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

I am surprised someone didn't post the top centres list and have an aneurysm over Matthews being ranked 4th.

It's because Leafs fans are chill enough now that we're not bothered about him being underrated.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

It's September. When do we want to bury the offseason thread?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Which playoff series did actually break teams? The 2011 SCF seems like the obvious first choice, but what else? Maybe Leafs-Bruins 2013 but I don't know if the 2013 Leafs counted as not-broken to begin with.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fits posted:

sabres havent won a series since 2006

They but they just kind of bled out of their contention cycle, with an increasing number of players walking in UFA. It's not like they made a series of insane decisions overreacting to a playoff loss.

Also I'm totally on board with counting Caps-Habs.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Can somebody post the third and fourth goals from PIT/CBJ Game 4 in 2014 for me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQGz9UoKOKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfT2jlkqtLI

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

man I always forget Bernie Nicholls scored fuckin 70 goals that one year. I mean obviously he was a good player but when you're looking at the list of "Players who score 70 goals in a season" or "Players who had 150+ points in a season" his name always sticks out

Edit:
70+ goal seasons: Gretzky (x3), Hull (x3), Lemieux (x2), Selanne, Esposito, Mogilny, Kurri, Nicholls

150+ points: Gretzky (x10), Lemieux (x4), Yzerman, Esposito, Nicholls
The 150 points one is my favourite random hockey trivia.

Doubly so because Jagr topped out at 149 in 1996.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

bewbies posted:

lemieux was good enough that he managed to fool the entire hockey world into thinking kevin stevens was a good NHL forward

So this is a bit before my time but wasn't Kevin Stevens actually pretty decent until he decided to go all in on the Bryan Fogarty Fitness Plan?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I have vague recollections of Fleury trying to climb out of the penalty box to fight the crowd at some point. I also always thought it was really funny that Fleury was on, specifically, the Giants.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Thufir posted:

I wonder what the unintended consequences of this will be? Guessing more euro players staying in Europe vs trying the CHL, maybe some top-level NA 18s too?

Isn't Pat Lafontaine, who is also the main guy pushing this, trying to start up some kind of league aimed at 18-19 year olds?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

yellowcar posted:

He's like 5'7" which was the only reason why he fell all the way to the 2nd round.

I mean, he was also like the 4th or 5th best forward in an insanely stacked top 6, so people were also skeptical of how much of his production was him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

iospace posted:

We do need a proper pre season thread

I suspect that we do.

• Locked thread