Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
**Latest Update: Episode 15 - Everything But Chris Explodes**

What is Resident Evil HD

Resident Evil HD, as the name implies, is a 2015 HD remaster of the 2002 remake of the 1997 Director's Cut of the 1996 PS1 game Resident Evil that began the Survival Horror genre. You've probably heard of this game before, or at least one of the many sequels (and one prequel) so why are you even reading this?

What is this LP

This is a semi-blind play-through as Chris on normal difficulty, with my non-good friend Jeremy joining me on the adventure. Don't expect in-depth commentary or expert gameplay. This is about chilling with your buds and having a good time.

What do you mean semi-blind?

I was really into this game when it came on on Gamecube 15 years ago. Like GameFAQs message boards into it. But I was also a literal frightened child, so I could actually play without abusing the infinite grenades glitch. Mostly I just watched my older brother play. As such I have never, before now, played this game as Chris, or on any difficulty above Easy. So I know generally where I have to go and what I have to do to progress through the game, but specific item placement and enemy locations are gonna take me by surprise, for better and for worse. Some things I will remember, some of my memories will be completely wrong. Semi-blind.

:siren:SPOILER POLICY:siren:

Plot spoilers for this game are open season. Jeremy and I sure aren't ever gonna stop talking about Wekser, so why should you? Try to keep game-play comments for places we haven't reached yet to yourself, this is supposed to be a blind LP after all, just let me fail on my own. As far other games in the series go Revelations 2 and RE 7 are off limits! No black bars. Nothing. This is for the entirely selfish reason that I haven't played them yet, and I don't want to be spoiled. Also I might do a blind run of Revelations 2 after this thread is done, so you'd only be hurting yourself. Any other games in the series are open season. So feel free to treat this like a general RE chat thread, though try to stay at least somewhat related to the content of the LP.

With that out of the way, let's get on with the show.

Table of Contents
Episode 1 - Hubris
Episode 2 - Not The Surprise I was Expecting
Episode 3 - Accidental Competence (This is the first episode with streaming issues sorted, so feel free to start here. If you know the game, you won't be missing much.)
Episode 4 - Regret
Episode 5 - Piano Lessons
Episode 6 - Dramatic Confrontation
Episode 7 - Lisa It's Your Birthday
Episode 8 - Richard's Folly
Episode 9 - Inefficient Herbicide
Episode 10 - Leaping Lizards
Episode 11 - Chris Vs. The Giant Snake
Episode 12 - Trigger Warning: Arachnophobia
Episode 13 - Happy Birthday Lisa
Episode 14 - Perky Butts
Episode 15 - Everything But Chris Explodes

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Episode 2

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm just gonna keep trucking along

Episode 3 - Accidental Competence

We used a different recording setup starting with this session, so if you thought the earlier episodes were a little slow, give this one a shot.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Making Jeremy watch me post this update

Episode 4 - Regret

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Just gonna keep posting these until someone tells me to stop

Episode 5 - Piano Lessons

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Episode 6 - Dramatic Confrontation

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Episode 7 - Lisa It's Your Birthday

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Oh, hello there. I'm not familiar with Resident Evil (except by memetic pop cultural references), but this certainly looks like an interesting throwback.

I have to say, while the fixed camera angles look "cinematic" I can't really imagine playing the game that way. It seems like a good way to run into walls all the time. Was it designed to be "scary" when it was first released, or was it a concession to lack of memory on old consoles (since you'd only have to render objects from one direction)?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Davin Valkri posted:

Oh, hello there. I'm not familiar with Resident Evil (except by memetic pop cultural references), but this certainly looks like an interesting throwback.

I have to say, while the fixed camera angles look "cinematic" I can't really imagine playing the game that way. It seems like a good way to run into walls all the time. Was it designed to be "scary" when it was first released, or was it a concession to lack of memory on old consoles (since you'd only have to render objects from one direction)?

It is definitely an artifact of it's time. Back in 1996 3D graphics were brand new and mostly looked like crap. (See Final Fantasy 7.) So in order to look the slightest bit atmospheric, all the the backgrounds are pre-rendered 2D images. The only things that are actually 3D objects are the character models and enemies.

Actually playing the game like that was... bad. You can get used to the tank controls with enough practice, but precision dodging was nearly impossible.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
The tank controls was genius gameplay design, as well as restricting player's mobility they raise the tension while starting you off with slow-moving enemies to ease you into the controls. So it's not as frustrating later on in the game when you're experienced but inevitably gently caress up and get killed by lategame enemies.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Episode 8 - Richard's Folly

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Episode 9 - Inefficient Herbicide

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Episode 10 - Leaping Lizards

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Episode 11 - Chris Vs. The Giant Snake

This one's a good one if you're into bad decisions leading to good gameplay.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Episode 12 - Trigger Warning: Arachnophobia

Getting into the home stretch now

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Episode 13 - Happy Birthday Lisa

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Episode 14 - Perky Butts

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've never really had the nerve to play through RE as Chris (only 6 item slots? I do enough backtracking as it is!!!) so I'm interested to see how someone else's semi-blind run though would be...

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
I'm not exactly a chatty Kathy but I just want to let y'all know that you've had my attention since video #1. RE is my wheelhouse so if there is an LP for it I will inevitably watch it.

You guys have a great rapport and I am suitably entertained.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Marmaduke! posted:

I've never really had the nerve to play through RE as Chris (only 6 item slots? I do enough backtracking as it is!!!) so I'm interested to see how someone else's semi-blind run though would be...

Look forward to never carrying spare ammo or healing items.

Tofu Survivor posted:

I'm not exactly a chatty Kathy but I just want to let y'all know that you've had my attention since video #1. RE is my wheelhouse so if there is an LP for it I will inevitably watch it.

You guys have a great rapport and I am suitably entertained.

You should know that this post made my day. As thanks, here is the finale.

Episode 15 - Everything But Chris Explodes

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
Aw yiss, I needed something else to watch while working. Do you guys have plans for any future LPs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Tofu Survivor posted:

Aw yiss, I needed something else to watch while working. Do you guys have plans for any future LPs?

We've got some plans for a Miasmata playthough that is sure to be... different, is the best I can describe it. Also I picked up RE Revelations 2 during a steam sale so that may be in the works somewhere down the line

• Locked thread