Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Strava is hella leaky anyhow. I played with stuff to determine home locations of people who own high value bikes.

Strava obscure this information by excluding a circle of X metres around the person's house. With enough data it's trivial to figure out where they live, just look at the centre of the literal dead spot.

That's why I set my home location as someone else's address -- with my place still in the dead spot, just not the centre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Chalks posted:

I'd say it was absolutely the military. Yeah, releasing this sort of data is arguably irresponsible, but malicious actors don't need to wait for something like this to be released publicly if there's no policy against carrying these devices.

Frankly it's probably better that this data is in the public domain now rather than Russian intelligence hacking Strava and having live tracking data on US military personnel (for example) and nobody realising it.
counterpoint: maybe we shouldn't allow corporations to collect non-anonymous data on this scale without an explicit opt-in

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yoloer420 posted:

Strava is hella leaky anyhow. I played with stuff to determine home locations of people who own high value bikes.

Strava obscure this information by excluding a circle of X metres around the person's house. With enough data it's trivial to figure out where they live, just look at the centre of the literal dead spot.

That's why I set my home location as someone else's address -- with my place still in the dead spot, just not the centre.

lol at that obfuscation

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also wheres cheese-cube at

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

anthonypants posted:

counterpoint: maybe we shouldn't allow corporations to collect non-anonymous data on this scale without an explicit opt-in

Sure, but requiring a malicious actor to observe a tracking "opt-in" box isn't a particularly secure way of avoiding being tracked. Laws to enforce that sort of thing are great for average civilian vs evil megacorp, but not terribly useful in a military personnel vs foreign intelligence operatives which is what we theoretically have here.

It's absolutely up to the military to prevent this sort of thing because no matter what, you can't trust random people writing software for your civilian phone.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Can’t wait until we find out the moon landing was fake because sombody played Pokemon Go in a classified location or some poo poo.

The future rules.

counterpoint: the global failure of democracy and the coming panopticon ubiquitous police state does not, in fact, rule

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

also wheres cheese-cube at

oh i got too drunk and fell asleep. also i stand corrected re severity of the strava poo poo, i had no idea it was an "always on" deal, that's kinda hosed who would opt-in (or out?) to that? i thought it was just one of those things that you start and stop when exercising or something.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
My understanding is that it is only on when you manually start tracking. Unless you're using certain fitness trackers which will automatically export data to Strava.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

but installing the app, or wearing a fitness tracker and uploading everything is about as opt-in as it gets?

people just don't give a poo poo about any of this

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My question is who is more fault here, Strava for releasing the map, or Military institutions for not banning these devices

both deeply at fault, even if the military did everything right they are still only serving as the example of the issue with strava releasing the data

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

military has policies on these devices anyway, it's lack of enforcement and exemptions

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

strava quite clearly did the whole exercise as a PR stunt which honestly has worked magnificently for them because the main narrative being pushed is that the end-users are at fault and "should have known better" as opposed to "strava released data from their users to the entire world in an irresponsible manner"

edit: actually one thing im not clear on is how the software works. does it need a network connection to upload positioning and poo poo in realtime or does it just record position data and upload when next on the network?

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 30, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Intel may have informed the Chinese their CUPs had flaws before the US:

https://www.technologyreview.com/th...chnology+Review

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cheese-cube posted:

strava quite clearly did the whole exercise as a PR stunt which honestly has worked magnificently for them because the main narrative being pushed is that the end-users are at fault and "should have known better" as opposed to "strava released data from their users to the entire world in an irresponsible manner"

I don't think the release of the data itself is all that important in this case - the fact that this tracking data exists means it was always possible for it to get out, be it through hacking or whatever. You can't have a problem with Strava showing this information to random people but at the same time be happy with them collecting it and storing it. It's effectively the same thing, the data is always at risk of exposure so the company may as well be straight about it being accessible.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

cheese-cube posted:

edit: actually one thing im not clear on is how the software works. does it need a network connection to upload positioning and poo poo in realtime or does it just record position data and upload when next on the network?

i know the phone app can either upload over mobile network or wifi and i think default is wifi only, you can choose which because data rates etc. no idea about how fitness trackers work.

also, i'm definitely not arguing this is the users' fault in any way, this is all on strava. i'm just saying people don't give a gently caress about privacy

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

does it need a network connection to upload positioning and poo poo in realtime or does it just record position data and upload when next on the network?

Real time upload is a feature available to pro users. You gotta pay monthly for that stuff.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yoloer420 posted:

Real time upload is a feature available to pro users. You gotta pay monthly for that stuff.

hahaha

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

military has policies on these devices anyway, it's lack of enforcement and exemptions

ding ding ding

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Chalks posted:

I don't think the release of the data itself is all that important in this case - the fact that this tracking data exists means it was always possible for it to get out, be it through hacking or whatever. You can't have a problem with Strava showing this information to random people but at the same time be happy with them collecting it and storing it. It's effectively the same thing, the data is always at risk of exposure so the company may as well be straight about it being accessible.

but isn't the fact that it records where you go and poo poo a literal feature of the app? the apps' existence and continued usage guarantees existence of the data. you can't exactly criticise them for doing exactly what it says on the box. however im sure you can criticise them for the way in which they did it (opt-out instead of opt-in) and the way that they explained it to the end-users. by using the app people are choosing some functionality over their own personal privacy and the only way to really prevent that is through educating them i guess.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Can’t wait until we find out the moon landing was fake because sombody played Pokemon Go in a classified location or some poo poo.

The future rules.

well poo poo how else do you get a mew huh?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Truga posted:

but installing the app, or wearing a fitness tracker and uploading everything is about as opt-in as it gets?

people just don't give a poo poo about any of this

I think it’s more the average person doesn’t realize they have to give a poo poo. Information privacy isn’t exactly a topic covered in schools.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i constantly argue with people on a local tech forum about this poo poo and the replies, every single time, boil down to "well, i'm not a criminal so i have nothing to hide", despite being shown tons of evidence how lack of privacy can ruin lives of entirely normal people. it's just not seen as an immediate threat like violence, even though it should be imo.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cheese-cube posted:

but isn't the fact that it records where you go and poo poo a literal feature of the app? the apps' existence and continued usage guarantees existence of the data. you can't exactly criticise them for doing exactly what it says on the box. however im sure you can criticise them for the way in which they did it (opt-out instead of opt-in) and the way that they explained it to the end-users. by using the app people are choosing some functionality over their own personal privacy and the only way to really prevent that is through educating them i guess.

I'm not totally familiar with the app itself, but from what I've read it markets itself as a social media platform for athletes - so uploading your tracking data seems like its primary feature. An explicit opt in for an application like this would be like Facebook having an opt in that makes your profile visible. If you don't want the app to perform its primary function then I'd have to question why you're paying for it.

I'm not saying that the users are to blame - I'm just saying that I imagine that, for most users of a social activity tracking app, uploading your activity is it working as intended. If there are users out there who didn't think this was happening then I wonder what it was they thought it was doing.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 30, 2018

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

oh no, this authoritarian regime purging tens of thousands of people based on shoddy-to-nonexistent evidence might have made a tech mistake!!!

eh, to me it's more about the measures developers should probably take to protect their users' privacy because seemingly minor things (like a tracking cookie, for example), could be used by authoritarian regimes to purge people.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Are people itt operating under the belief the Strava has 24/7 tracking data? Because that’s not how it works at all. You’ve got to consciously turn on tracking by starting an activity. “Real-time” premium tracking just means that a given activity is updated live rather than uploaded after it has been completed.

Also this heat map has been available for years.

yoloer420 posted:

As far as I know this is common practice for the obvious issue you mention. I do it, and I know a bunch of my Strava connections do too.

edit: It seems like people are conflating Fitbit always-on step counting with Strava activity upload. Those mil guys chose to track and upload their PT.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Loucks posted:

Are people itt operating under the belief the Strava has 24/7 tracking data? Because that’s not how it works at all. You’ve got to consciously turn on tracking by starting an activity. “Real-time” premium tracking just means that a given activity is updated live rather than uploaded after it has been completed.

Also this heat map has been available for years.

goons don't know something but still talk about it with an attempt at authority? stop the presses!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Was just trying to clarify. Am I wrong? Feel free to enlighten me when you’re done with the snark.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MononcQc posted:

eh, to me it's more about the measures developers should probably take to protect their users' privacy because seemingly minor things (like a tracking cookie, for example), could be used by authoritarian regimes to purge people.

authoritarian regimes don't actually need a reason though

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it looks a lot worse for them if their excuse is obviously bullshit though, and looks are a a big part making an authoritarian regime not topple. in most cases, anyway

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hey didn't we have a separate opsec thread? might be good to move the discussion over there or something.

alternatively, :justpost:

edit: vvv oh yeah i remember that now lol. it went full lf and imploded vvv

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 30, 2018

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

opsec thread was closed twice

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Loucks posted:

Was just trying to clarify. Am I wrong? Feel free to enlighten me when you’re done with the snark.

you were right, other goons were wrong

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Loucks posted:

I’m pretty sure no one thought it was 24/7. The issue is "why is this information public, by default." I want to track my work outs, it’s motivation. I don’t want everyone to see my workouts. My privacy should be the default. I should not have to take extra steps to not share information.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the fact that the data collection isn't 24x7 isn't really relevant because people have already shown that it's possible to compromise people's privacy using the data that's been published

edit: should say it's possible, not quite easy, i cant attest to the difficulty involved

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 30, 2018

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Chalks posted:

that's why my email provider is just being straight with me when they upload everyone's emails to usenet

they have the data so might as well just publish it right? otherwise people won't know they have any data WORTH KEEPING SECURE

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Chalks posted:

I'm not totally familiar with the app itself, but from what I've read it markets itself as a social media platform for athletes - so uploading your tracking data seems like its primary feature. An explicit opt in for an application like this would be like Facebook having an opt in that makes your profile visible. If you don't want the app to perform its primary function then I'd have to question why you're paying for it.

no, the main function is recording your runs or bike rides for your own use, e.g. keep track of how fast you're going compared to previous trips, or how far you've gone over some period. sharing anything is additional functionality

i mean i wouldn't expect a goon to know much about exercise regimens but goddamn

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Loucks posted:

Ty for posting. I've been to busy to effort post. Side note: there are several Strava employees that post on the forum.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cheese-cube posted:

oh i got too drunk and fell asleep. also i stand corrected re severity of the strava poo poo, i had no idea it was an "always on" deal, that's kinda hosed who would opt-in (or out?) to that? i thought it was just one of those things that you start and stop when exercising or something.

I don't think it's always on, but a lot of vaguely fitness-minded people will use it throughout the day to track the number of steps they take as they walk around doing whatever the gently caress they do, and the "post everything to totally public heatmap" setting is opt-out rather than opt-in

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

lots of companies have policies on not clicking strange email attachments

security would be a much easier field if you could trust users to follow simple instructions and not be huge idiots

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I’m pretty sure no one thought it was 24/7. The issue is "why is this information public, by default." I want to track my work outs, it’s motivation. I don’t want everyone to see my workouts. My privacy should be the default. I should not have to take extra steps to not share information.

yeah this. Local storage/no upload should be default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The Electronaut posted:

Ty for posting. I've been to busy to effort post. Side note: there are several Strava employees that post on the forum.

:lol: so what? SHOW YOURSELVES, COWARDS!!!

• Locked thread