Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chalks posted:

I'd say it was absolutely the military. Yeah, releasing this sort of data is arguably irresponsible, but malicious actors don't need to wait for something like this to be released publicly if there's no policy against carrying these devices.

Frankly it's probably better that this data is in the public domain now rather than Russian intelligence hacking Strava and having live tracking data on US military personnel (for example) and nobody realising it.

yeah definitely the military's fault. theres probably a dozen other devices/apps tracking these people with the same efficacy that aren't so public but are just as likely to be compromised by an attacker. it would be interesting to see how they solve it cause I don't think you could do anything less than ban devices not under direct control of the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

military has policies on these devices anyway, it's lack of enforcement and exemptions

some officers were requiring their men to use the app for PT contests according to the gip thread

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

counterpoint: maybe we shouldn't allow corporations to collect non-anonymous data on this scale without an explicit opt-in

strava is opt in

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

no, the main function is recording your runs or bike rides for your own use, e.g. keep track of how fast you're going compared to previous trips, or how far you've gone over some period. sharing anything is additional functionality

i mean i wouldn't expect a goon to know much about exercise regimens but goddamn

It's marketed as a "social network for athletes". I mean maybe people read that description and think "this sounds like something that's for my own use and doesn't share anything" but if that's the case my sympathy is limited.

I don't think those people exist, I think users of a social exercise tracking app are aware that their exercise is being tracked.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 30, 2018

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chalks posted:

I'm not totally familiar with the app itself, but from what I've read it markets itself as a social media platform for athletes - so uploading your tracking data seems like its primary feature. An explicit opt in for an application like this would be like Facebook having an opt in that makes your profile visible. If you don't want the app to perform its primary function then I'd have to question why you're paying for it.

I'm not saying that the users are to blame - I'm just saying that I imagine that, for most users of a social activity tracking app, uploading your activity is it working as intended. If there are users out there who didn't think this was happening then I wonder what it was they thought it was doing.

uploading the data is one thing

sharing specific segments that you decide to share with friends and neighbors is one thing

making it public to literally everyone on the planet is quite another

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shaggar posted:

yeah definitely the military's fault. theres probably a dozen other devices/apps tracking these people with the same efficacy that aren't so public but are just as likely to be compromised by an attacker. it would be interesting to see how they solve it cause I don't think you could do anything less than ban devices not under direct control of the military.

wearables were allowed in a lot of places that won't be now as a result of this. i haven't asked any active guys if guidance has came down, but it will probably happen.

recall that that since 2010 usn submariners were not allowed to bring any personal electronic devices on the boat at all and would deploy with just dvds and books.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chalks posted:

It's marketed as a "social network for athletes". I mean maybe people read that description and think "this sounds like something that's for my own use and doesn't share anything" but if that's the case my sympathy is limited.

I don't think those people exist, I think users of a social exercise tracking app are aware that their exercise is being tracked.

yeah theres no question you're sharing your data when you sign up w/ strava.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

wearables were allowed in a lot of places that won't be now as a result of this. i haven't asked any active guys if guidance has came down, but it will probably happen.

recall that that since 2010 usn submariners were not allowed to bring any personal electronic devices on the boat at all and would deploy with just dvds and books.

Hmm I smell a market for ~*MILITARY GRADE*~ entertainment devices that are just managed devices with compliance tools sold at a huge markup

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

uploading the data is one thing

sharing specific segments that you decide to share with friends and neighbors is one thing

making it public to literally everyone on the planet is quite another

Do you actually share specific segments of your data with friends and neighbors though? Because people have discussed the application's use of "dead zones" around your home address to prevent people from knowing where you live. That doesn't sound like a feature of a product that only shares data with your friends, that sounds like a feature of a product that is designed around anonymously sending your data to other untrusted users.

I think people who use this app know exactly what they're doing and I've yet to see evidence of a single user of the software who didn't realise this is how it worked.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 30, 2018

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Chalks posted:

and then being published in searchable form with an obvious blank area around their configured home location?

i don't see why you keep conflating "im putting data into a service" with "the service is making the data accessible to third parties"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its branded as a litterrall social network of millions and their features are comparing yourself to everyone else on the network. its entirely obvious they're giving that data to everyone.

even if you cant tell from their marketing that your data is available to 3rd parties, their privacy policy makes it pretty clear.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i think it's important to highlight this (thanks Loucks):

Loucks posted:

yoloer420 posted:

That's why I set my home location as someone else's address -- with my place still in the dead spot, just not the centre.

As far as I know this is common practice for the obvious issue you mention. I do it, and I know a bunch of my Strava connections do too.

imo this says a lot about strava's ability to protect the privacy of its users. if you have to deliberately falsify your details to prevent people from using "anonymous" data to find out where you live then perhaps that data shouldn't be published

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
even simpler: how do you think they make money?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Mr. Nice! posted:

I recall reading that these submariners for books were provided with eink readers that basically came preloaded with books that could not have more books added to them.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

even simpler: how do you think they make money?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

and then being published in searchable form with an obvious blank area around their configured home location?

i don't see why you keep conflating "im putting data into a service" with "the service is making the data accessible to third parties"

It says right there on their features list that it offers heat maps to show where people are running so you can find good routes if you're in a new city.

Show me the people using this app without realising it does this. The reason you're aware of the blank area thing is from a post that literally says it's common practice to give a vague address because everyone knows it behaves this way. There's obviously a design flaw in the home location anonymising that they could (and should) quite easily fix, but it's of no shock to anyone that this application behaves this way.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol do you work for strava chalks?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cheese-cube posted:

No, but do find the heatmap data fascinating. As long as it's obtained from informed sources I don't see the problem with it and throwing up your hands and saying "but nobody knew they did this!!" is disingenuous as gently caress with out any evidence of that being the case in even a single instance.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cheese-cube posted:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cheese-cube posted:

:tinfoil:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Chalks posted:

No, but do find the heatmap data fascinating. As long as it's obtained from informed sources I don't see the problem with it and throwing up your hands and saying "but nobody knew they did this!!" is disingenuous as gently caress with out any evidence of that being the case in even a single instance.

no what's really disingenuous is tyrying to ignore the fact that strava obviously were not able to actually anonymise the data properly and yet published it anyway

edit: sorry for running this poo poo into the ground erryone, ima leave it for tonight

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 30, 2018

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Wow. Continue to ruin this thread everyone. You are all doing a great job.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MononcQc posted:

eh, to me it's more about the measures developers should probably take to protect their users' privacy because seemingly minor things (like a tracking cookie, for example), could be used by authoritarian regimes to purge people.

what would protecting their users' privacy look like in this case?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cheese-cube posted:

no what's really disingenuous is tyrying to ignore the fact that strava obviously were not able to actually anonymise the data properly and yet published it anyway

They should absolutely fix that one thing, I agree.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Why has no one mentioned the self-inflicted wound of DoD and other militaries encouraging fitbit use to combat obesity yet?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/16/overweight-soldiers-given-fitbit-bracelets-to-help-them-lose-wei/
https://www.athleticbusiness.com/military/army-testing-tracking-technology.html

quote:

overweight soldiers who face being discharged have been given Fitbit bracelets to help them lose weight.

The devices, which cost around £100 each, have been given to troops who risk being thrown out of the Army for failing military fitness tests to help them shape up.

One infantry unit is believed to have given every overweight soldier in the battalion one of the bracelets, which track the distance the wearer walks and calculates how many calories have been burned.

quote:

The pilot program has been launched at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Wash.; Fort Bragg in N.C.; and Fort Bliss in Texas. Participating soldiers have been issued Fitbit Flex wristbands, providing them with the tracking ability that many fitness experts believe is an important - and often missing - component for improved health and fitness.

"Keeping track of a person's physical activity or exercise plan is one of the most important aspects of success because it can boost motivation, which is crucial in sustaining regular exercise habits," says Livia Mazzola, a certified master personal trainer and group exercise instructor. "Nutrition and sleep also play an important role in a good health-oriented plan. The actual data will be a huge indicator that the plan is working. I've seen about a 75 percent increase in success in clients who are committed to their daily journals, be it on paper or through technology."

they did this to themselves by encouraging fitness tracking without guidelines or consideration of privacy leakage

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 30, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

I'm finding nothing about this for AT&T. Just announcements that Verizon 2g and 3g services are to end before 2022 and that T-mobile is removing 3g services on certain bands.

AT&T support has all sorts of announcements and info on 2g shutdown and actively encourages shifting to 3g with no indication of shutting that down any time soon.

December 31 2018 - customer may not initially* activate new 3G devices
December 31 2021 - committed to 3G network operation until at least this date
December 31 2027 - committed to LTE until at least this date

you can call AT&T’s support if you want, I’m looking at the same information they should be able to find. AT&T is already adding surcharges on 3g only devices on an account by account basis.

*”initially” for the 2g sunset meant you had to ask why you shouldn’t replace your modems with Verizon lte devices instead of AT&T

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

Wow. Continue to ruin this thread everyone. You are all doing a great job.

thanks, y'know we do our best but aren't often recognized for the valuable thread making GBS threads service we provide

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

we're like garbage collectors, silently keeping society running in a very thankless job

except instead of collecting garbage and taking it away we bring it in and spread it around everywhere :patriot:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bhodi posted:

Why has no one mentioned the self-inflicted wound of DoD and other militaries encouraging fitbit use to combat obesity yet?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/16/overweight-soldiers-given-fitbit-bracelets-to-help-them-lose-wei/
https://www.athleticbusiness.com/military/army-testing-tracking-technology.html

they did this to themselves by encouraging fitness tracking without guidelines or consideration of privacy leakage

the russians used a pencil

or a step counter that didn't broadcast gps and a unique identifier to a corporation

getting your guys to do pt doesn't need tech, it needs a guy with a loud voice and an acre of rocks that need painting

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Truga posted:

i constantly argue with people on a local tech forum about this poo poo and the replies, every single time, boil down to "well, i'm not a criminal so i have nothing to hide", despite being shown tons of evidence how lack of privacy can ruin lives of entirely normal people. it's just not seen as an immediate threat like violence, even though it should be imo.

"i can never go back to touchid after the face unlock on the new iphone!"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

selectively lower the resolution based on the number of individuals that have worked out in an area

i.e. for manhattan or miami beach don't change much but if there's only like 100 camo turkeys that have ever used strava in a particular square mile maybe just show it as completely cold

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cocoa Crispies posted:

selectively lower the resolution based on the number of individuals that have worked out in an area

the post I was responding to was talking about a tracking pixel, not Strava

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
oh well in that case the way to fix that is to fire anyone who thinks "tracking pixels" are acceptable

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yes, good, very practical. thanks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm sorry subjunctive, but user tracking is haram

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
don't need to fire all those people, just eliminate loading of external content in emails or at least make it opt-in (like apple already does)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

don't need to fire all those people, just eliminate loading of external content in emails or at least make it opt-in (like apple already does)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

that's how it works in pretty much every mail client and mostly what it does is make people click the show all images button

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what mail client doesn’t behave that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I think Gmail loads every external asset from every mail automatically and then rewrites the message to use Google's proxy cache.

• Locked thread