Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

syscall girl posted:

we can do it!

i attempted to re-open infernal machine's opsec thread to vent political nonsense here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825132
lol

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

the only libries i care about are the dynamic linked ones i nthe microsoft operation system

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

BeOSPOS posted:

I'm a librarian for real and this is a stupidly bad post

Nah, I nailed it. If you feel you have to vocally defend your profession's worth, you aren't doing a very good job at your profession. And librarians get stupidly defensive about their careers to the point of obsession. All you have to do is say the triggering phrase Why do we need libraries when we have Google? to invoke Threat Level Midnight.

Also, in terms of privacy, librarians cave like all the rest when law enforcement comes a-knocking. See: Silk Road and the role SFPL played.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

If you feel you have to vocally defend your profession's worth, you aren't doing a very good job at your profession.

Well if you said no one does a good job at infosec you wouldn't be wrong

Also the ALA is one of the few anti censorship groups left out there

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nah, I nailed it. If you feel you have to vocally defend your profession's worth, you aren't doing a very good job at your profession. And librarians get stupidly defensive about their careers to the point of obsession. All you have to do is say the triggering phrase Why do we need libraries when we have Google? to invoke Threat Level Midnight.

Also, in terms of privacy, librarians cave like all the rest when law enforcement comes a-knocking. See: Silk Road and the role SFPL played.

I was going to respond in earnest but I sense this is a troll

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
libraries are good and cool

lmao if you actually pay for books and ebooks that you will only read once

the only reason scribd is in business is because people somehow don't know that you can get it all for free from the ol' library

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

well, there was an attempt

pretty sure i can manage to not ever drag politics in here though, still

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/robynbergeron/status/879010252389208064

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Taking a shower at the gym I realized that anybody flushing the toilets makes the water temp go up by 10F.

MitM attack if I have ever seen one.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Taking a shower at the gym I realized that anybody flushing the toilets makes the water temp go up by 10F.

can you flush enough toillets to effectively ddos the showers into pumping out boiling water

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

*nods in russian as 10 men flush toilet at once*

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

real question is if you flush all the stalls at once will you roast somebody

edit: drat, foiled by communism bitch

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

communism bitch posted:

can you flush enough toillets to effectively ddos the showers into pumping out boiling water

I would think that's a buffer overflow.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I would think that's a buffer overflow.
*takes notes*

so ddosing a toilet would be like cramming 50 dudes in there all trying to take a poo poo at the same time?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

underflow, I think

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

*nods in russian as 10 men flush toilet at once*

lol how do you nod in russian?

slav squat and a curious gesture of the eyes?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

syscall girl posted:

lol how do you nod in russian?

slav squat and a curious gesture of the eyes?

you dont nod

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

communism bitch posted:

*takes notes*

so ddosing a toilet would be like cramming 50 dudes in there all trying to take a poo poo at the same time?

its when you and a bunch of your friends hold in in for a few days and then lay down some unflushable turduckens in every stall

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
this is much more on my intellectual level than cybrary

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a breathless and poorly written piece on the petya variant that hit recently

tl;dr: it's not really ransomware as it straight up overwrites the boot sector and subsequent blocks, there's no way to decrypt them because they weren't actually encrypted at all, presumably this is by design.

for some reason it ignores the existence of low level file recovery tools like testdisk and photorec, which will likely recover the file data regardless of mbr and mft damage

e: the implication being this is a state-level attack disguised to look like ransomware to generate a different narrative

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 28, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
we haven't had some grey forum quotes to mock lately

Ganson posted:

I also thank my lucky stars every day that our entire dev department is on Macs (with like one or two exceptions), production is all Linux, and it's not my job to give a crap about user endpoints anymore.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
were there any vulns found in apple's SMB implementation? they rolled their own sometime after 10.6 iirc

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

communism bitch posted:

What is it when you sing loud enough in the shower to cause everyone else to leave? Locker room poisoning attack?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Helianthus Annuus posted:

libraries are good and cool

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Partycat posted:

What is it when you sing loud enough in the shower to cause everyone else to leave? Locker room poisoning attack?

broadcast storm i think

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
libraries would be a lot more cool and good if we taught kids how to use them as they exist now, rather than teaching them the research methods of 25 years ago

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ahem children this is a card catalog

don't lose the cards or else they'll never be able to find those books again!!!

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
even when they do mention electronic stuff, it's not taught well. is lexisnexis more powerful than google scholar and wikipedia links? yes it is. but the chances are approximately zero that the teacher is better with lexisnexis than kids who grew up around google/wikipedia are at using those tools

i rarely went to the library in college or even grad school. most cs stuff that i needed was online. i did have a research paper for one philosophy class where one of my sources was a monograph that cost hundreds of dollars and the campus library system didn't have. so i went to the library of congress and took notes from it in the reading room. that was cool. but that was the one class in 7 years where i needed the library. for most students the campus library is just a quiet study hall that happens to also contain books

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the existence of sci-hub has greatly simplified what used to be microfiche and journal research and good loving riddance to those things

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I just point the browser at proquest and go to town. institutional access owns.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
there was some magic going on in grad school that if we searched google scholar on the university network, we'd get free access to stuff. we'd also see a link to the library's page for the item, in cause you're some weirdo who wanted the physical journal.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
i'm so glad that this is the library thread. i totally misread the title when i clicked on it i guess

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

libraries would be a lot more cool and good if we taught kids how to use them as they exist now, rather than teaching them the research methods of 25 years ago

have you looked up a degree in library science lately?

there's a myriad of things there beyond hitting the homeless with those old sticks they'd put newspapers on

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

we just hired a research associate and administrator at my firm, and MLIS degrees were a huge asset for candidates.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Shifty Pony posted:

I just point the browser at proquest and go to town. institutional access owns.

A public library card will usually get you free access to proquest, gale, ebsco, lexis, westlaw, and a million other loving useful online resources from your home but most people don't know this because librarians generally do a poor job of outreach unless it involves their "maker space" (a button maker or a 3D printer that is almost exclusively dedicated to kids printing skulls) or a knitting meetup. Hence the reason why librarians are so defensive about their self worth -- there's some truth to the questions about librarians' value because they seldom proactively demonstrate it. Usually this is an institutional problem and not the fault of the individuals which -- on the flip side -- you can have fantastic systems like that in Seattle because they foster the idea that a library should foster innovation and take the lead on engagement with in their community.

BTW, I'm a librarian and I want libraries to succeed and thrive, but that means stfu with the hand-wringing angst, taking ownership of your own career, and being an effective leader.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Lain Iwakura posted:

i'm so glad that this is the library thread. i totally misread the title when i clicked on it i guess

it's cool, common mistake

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

A public library card will usually get you free access to proquest, gale, ebsco, lexis, westlaw, and a million other loving useful online resources from your home

maybe the search engines, but you're not gonna get full text papers from the journals without paying, are you?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
all that being said i'm to this thread what the slow guy volunteering at your local library is

waving around a piece of wood

yarr stealing air-conditioning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JewKiller 3000 posted:

maybe the search engines, but you're not gonna get full text papers from the journals without paying, are you?

yes, you are

syscall girl posted:

waving around a piece of wood

please text me promptly

• Locked thread