Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

cool new thread for a cool new world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Lain Iwakura posted:

i'll let this slide for tonight but tomorrow, there better be some gently caress ups

hold my beer

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

off the back of that wannacry/petya/whatever garbage a lot of security projects have been approved and funded where i work, one of which is LAPS which i'll be rolling out to our entire server fleet. i think some of ya'll have done the same, any gotchas to be aware of? TIA

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh yeah actual secfuck: today i found a couple of standalone windows servers in our environment that had their local Guest accounts enabled and they'd been added to the local Administrators group :stare:

oh and they also weren't being patched but that pales in comparison. pretty sure it was a former coworker who is responsible for that fuckery but he left about 3 months ago so i cant tear his trachea out.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i didnt think windows server even had a guest account

yeah it does but it's disabled by default out of the box. it does have situational uses but it blows up your surface area if you don't know what you're doing.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Perplx posted:

easy file sharing so any random computer can open \\server\files

pretty much that. the servers i was peeping were meant to operate as "guest print servers" that would host print queues and allow unauth anon access to them. guest being member of administrators is not a pre-req for that ofc...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

can anyone ID that fortinet firewall top-right visible top-right at 0:50? it's looks like some kind of mutant 300D

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fortinet apparently give zero fucks about their gear appearing in that vid

https://twitter.com/Fortinet/status/882620985874173952

e: actually it's dumb piss who cares

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pretty sure the B-series hardware still had the matte-black exterior and they didnae switch that up until the C/D series. the specific model is hard to place from that pic because on the left-side it has 2x2 grouped interfaces and on the right it has that expansion area but neither of those features match up with current models.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol this is good i've been looking for more reasons why im always wrong!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

nah not really. it's the crazy container dinguses that will truly doom us. making arbitrary execution infinitely portable with zero safeguards yeah that's something which will end well

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah im poo poo at everything forever

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

not really, its gr8.

thanks good to know. that's what i was leaning towards looking at the doco it's super simple. already did the schema extension earlier on, now just need to do ACEs, setup GPOs and get our SCCM dude to package the CSE. way too easy

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

essentially "look at this setup" and linking to

ahttps://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/882620748023476224

they still have it liked though

cheese-cube posted:

yeah im poo poo at everything forever

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

It's cake, just don't be retarded and try to deploy the client to a domain controller.

you mean target a DC with the group policy settings right? pushing the CSE to all machines should be fine as long as you aren't deploying any group policy settings for LAPS to those maschines.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

There isn't a reason for the client to exist on a DC since it would never be utilized, for obvious reasons.

Even if you deployed it and GPS were deployed perfectly, the last thing you want is for some idiot to move your DC out of the designated OU for DCs and into one that has the policy defined. Is this an extreme edge case? Absolutely, but not deploying the client to DCs removes any possibility of failure.

i would love for this to happen because then i'd actually be allowed to murder someone.

bullshit aside, if your domain can be crippled by having the built-in domain administrator account password changed then you've done something wrong. from a supportability POV it is much easier to just deploy the CSE everywhere and then target via GPO (edit: especially if you're doing orchestration like we are). if someone does something as stupid as what you suggested then they get fired.

out of a cannon.

into the sun.

edit2: i've just remembered that you have to specifically delegate privileges to the SELF security principle in the OU containing computer objects so that they can update their own LAPS-related attributes. if you don't delegate these same privileges on the Domain Controllers or any other OU then the devices associated with the computer objects within that OU will be unable to reset their local admin password as they cant update the attributes on their relevant computer object.

ofc that is all moot if you delegate full write for all extended attributes or some poo poo

Will it even do something there? I assume it would rotate the domain services recovery password which creates a circular dependency but that seems like something MS would catch for and stop.

apparently it will change the domain built-in administrator account password? tbh i haven't tested that scenario

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 5, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

deploying servers from a single template that is role-agnostic. much easier to have the CSE pre-installed than to deploy it after the fact once the server's role has been decided. i dont understand why you "loathe the shotgun approach for systems management" when establishing a common universal baseline is the best approach to systems management in almost all situations. imo you prolly have some hangups as to the efficacy of group policy or something

also dont talk to me about hosed up AD permissions. ive inherited an environment where every single ACE is 1000% pissssss but ive still seen worse than you can begin to imagine

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

cool

but yeah LAPS is cool, we did scope the project to implement it over a year ago but it's been in PM purgatory since then until the whole wannacry bs happened and the CFO just went and blanket approved any project that was sec related. gourd poo poo i guess but lol reactive is not appropriate attitude blah blah

i shld gently caress poo poo up more often

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Crypto Config Boogaloo 2017 Edition

hey sorry this was several pages ago now but i was wondering why you're prioritising DHE with GCM over ECDHE with CBC. from what i understand GCM provides better performance than CBC but not much more on the security side whilst ECDHE is an effective mitigation against logjam attacks. happy to be wrong though!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just got this lovely e-mail from symantec today:

we've got a wildcard cert issued by geotrust before that june 1st date and it's used in lots and lots of places. :rip: us i guess.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fyi, manufacturers limit GPS performance so as to not exceed the limits defined in the MTCR annex (https://www.state.gov/t/avc/trty/187155.htm):

quote:

Item 11 - Category II

Avionics equipment, "technology" and components as follows; designed or modified for use in the systems in Item 1, and specially designed software therefor:

(a) Radar and laser radar systems, including altimeters;

(b) Passive sensors for determining bearings to specific electromagnetic sources (direction finding equipment) or terrain characteristics;

(c) Global Positioning System (GPS) or similar satellite receivers;

(1) Capable of providing navigation information under the following operational conditions;

(i) At speeds in excess of 515 m/sec (1,000 nautical miles/hour); and

(ii) At altitudes in excess of 18 km (60,000 feet); or

if your hardware can operate in excess of those limits then it is not considered dual-use and is effectively a missile system which makes it subject to arms manufacturing/export rules and non-proliferation treaties. you'd probably end up in very serious trouble if you produced such a system in the US without a defence contract

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

patriot pac-3 has drone shoot-down capability within a very broad altitude envelope. you better be packing some badass ruskie EW/traditional countermeasures fdriend

fake edit: holy lol, this bit from the patriot wiki article is a proper fuckup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-104_Patriot#Failure_at_Dhahran):

quote:

A government investigation revealed that the failed intercept at Dhahran had been caused by a software error in the system's handling of timestamps.[46][47] The Patriot missile battery at Dhahran had been in operation for 100 hours, by which time the system's internal clock had drifted by one-third of a second. Due to the missile's speed this was equivalent to a miss distance of 600 meters.

The radar system had successfully detected the Scud and predicted where to look for it next. However, the timestamps of the two radar pulses being compared were converted to floating point differently: one correctly, the other introducing an error proportionate to the operation time so far (100 hours) caused by the truncation in a 24-bit fixed-point register. As a result, the difference between the pulses was wrong, so the system looked in the wrong part of the sky and found no target. With no target, the initial detection was assumed to be a spurious track and the missile was removed from the system.[48] No interception was attempted, and the Scud impacted on a makeshift barracks in an Al Khobar warehouse, killing 28 soldiers, the first Americans to be killed from the Scuds that Iraq had launched against Saudi Arabia and Israel.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i was semi-joking about using patriot for drone shoot-down. sure, it has the capability (allegedly) but it certainly is not cost effective. also unless something has changed the patriot SOP is to fire 2 missiles at each target which is kind of insane against a drone, especially in any urban setting (sure the second missile is sent a self-destruct command if the first missile takes out the target but it's still dangerous).

IMO for anti-drone systems we'll probably just see existing naval CIWS (US phalanx, russian kashtan/pantsir-m) deployed on land. anything that is a drone and can get past a modern CIWS battery isn't a drone, it's a cruise missile.

e: just to clarify i'm talking about drones that aren't capable of stand-off engagement or engagement beyond line-of-sight. pretty much anything not made by raytheon or GA i guess...

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 26, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

afaik it's only enforced via technical means, as in the manufacturers are selling drones with firmware that says "do not take-off if you're inside these coords"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just looks like a regular scam message?

e: fb

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

not last i checked, no, the team doesn't have any sa members on it

lol the fuckin sa member directory oracle checking in here or some poo poo. a shittier fishmech

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

do they hand out cards with USB connectors on them and/or RFID/NFC chips?

e: the vegas strip is the most shameful attack vector by far

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

my fiber ISP isn't using link encryption so if you plug in directly to their box you also get a copy off all the traffic destined to the other houses on your segment whoopsiedoodles guess nobody noticed because the wan link on everyone's router just drops it

what box and what service are you on about?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

how is your service delivered? is it IP end-to-end like real GPON or is it VDSL/HFC?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol you're probably on VDSL and there's multiple VCs. that would cause a fuckton of spurious traffic.

e: i wish i spuriously dead

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol ok i guess i missed when you said PON also i didnt know what PON is.

maybe you should report this insanity or something idk

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I am a little concerned with reprisal as a customer. Not really sure the best way to prove the point without giving them a pcap from my house and then they would know at minimum what node segment I'm on. They're still the best ISP available

reprisal as a customer? reprisal by the company against you for being a customer? i'm pretty sure any instance of them loving you up for attempting disclosure would be prosecutable.

try and get a field tech on-site, one who is trained for PON instead of just PSTN garbage (sounds like you'll get one who is well trained most likely). go from there

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

:lol:

what country do you live in?

australia where our consumer protection laws aren't exactly garbage i guess?

Both seem like fun, viable possibilities in this situation regardless of them being the ones who installed the tap in my house. Is this something I can run through the FCC?

nfi about FCC but just get a tech on-site to replicate the fault (yeah yeah i know), the tech will talk the magic words back to whatever dinguses do provisioning on the backend and maybe things will get sorted?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anthonypants posted:

they're worried that if they deliver a pcap of their network traffic to their isp, they will deduce that they have been hacked and send fbi agents to their house. how have you not been on the internet for the past decade

an isp field tech isn't going to know gently caress about poo poo, say everything is working correctly, and bill them for their trouble

lol thanks for shooting down all my ideas you cold war mccarthy weirdo, no one suggested handing over a pcap, what do you suggest?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

probably secfuck: our customer only supports one browser internally (IE11). apparently unmanaged and unpatched chome installs on endpoints is a big security issue for said customer (at least according to their head wizard). in this situation you'd think the best option would be to restrict chome on endpoints using something like applocker. well, the head wizard thought differently and instead decided to get our SCCM guys to package an enterprise version of chome that's updateable via SCCM and managed via group policy. this packaged version of chome was then deployed to the whole fleet.

so, instead of having to worry about a handful of dinguses who have chome installed we now have to worry about the entire loving fleet. to make things worse an e-mail was sent to all personnel telling everyone about the chome deployment so they know that it's there. oh and the issue of deploying an unsupported browser has been "solved" by effectively blacklisting "*.companyname.com" in chome via group policy so that they cant access internal websites using the browser.

:chome:

e: oh yeah they also packaged it with abp instead of ublock origin which is dumb

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

security is just a thing that you should think about and do whenever you do any IT thing.

delegating perms in AD? hmm maybe i can do this in a fine-grained per-attribute manner to support principal of least-privilege!

creating an ACL on an ASA? hmm maybe i should determine the specific ports that are required instead of just doing an allow all!

delegating perms on a server? hmm maybe this service account designed to run a script via scheduled task doesn't need local admin and instead i can delegate the specific user right for executing a batch task so it won't run in an elevated context!

importing a PFX key pair on a server? hmm maybe i should un-tick the "mark private key exportable" option!

delegating perms in a thing? hmm these built-in roles are fine but what if i created specific roles to delegate perms supporting least privilege principal!

it's just small dumb poo poo that everyone does every loving day that makes security secure

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

stoopidmunkey posted:

Sec fuckup I just became privy to: Our ticket tracking software has an asset management component. The vendor requires a service account that can ssh into a server and needs sudo access. All their tools it runs can get the same data over snmp, but they want ssh access (hard-coded password) and sudo. They say it's safe if you restrict the account in /etc/sudoers

Service Now is garbage.

is that a requirement from the vendor or from servicenow? we use servicenow and it seems p good compared to other ticketing software on the front-end at least.

however now that i think on it there are some extremely janky bits on the back-end. we need to pull user satisfaction survey results in bulk for monthly reporting and the only way they could do that is with the special snow ODBC driver which is so garbage that the server it is installed on has to be rebooted daily because it just completely dies in the rear end after X number of hours.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

speaking of usernames, it appears that if you work for SHI (samsung heavy industries) you can just pick whatever the gently caress you want for your @samsung.com e-mail address so if you deal with them on the reg then you will see some weird poo poo in your SMTP transport logs. based on a bunch of internal systems doco i found for their internal stuff a while back their e-mail addys match their UPNs so their e-mail is effectively their username for most SSO stuff.

i think DSME (daewoo shipbuilding & marine engineering) does this as well, maybe it's a SK thing...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Notorious BGP

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anthonypants posted:

there's apparently a new ublock origin for firefox that you have to remove and reinstall? lol https://twitter.com/ronindey/status/902645903210815489

yeah FF went to poo poo performance and stability wise after upgrading to v55 and removing/reinstalling ublock fixed it up.

still better than chome :chome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

a fool and his butts are soon to be parted

• Locked thread