Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
aws bucket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

spankmeister posted:

someone should register the .local gTLD

i think microsoft started telling people not to use that for internal domains about 17 years ago, naturally i still see it everywhere

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

when i say everywhere i mean in business AD networks with name servers, i.e. places where mDNS should not be in use

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

server 2016 essentials does this too

microsoft is real schizophrenic about it, but their ad best practices have been relatively consistent re: don't do it

the fact that a small business product explicitly contravenes their own best practices is the least surprising thing ever, for example, every release of small business server and server essentials

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

their sample text uses .test

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

NEED MORE MILK posted:

yeah but they have, of course, provided no way to easily change a domain name so were gonna be using .local forever because lmao at creating a new domain and migrating stuff over

yeah, i had to modernize an old single label domain a couple years ago and welp, the process is to make a new domain

modern windows server does not like single label domain names. neither does anything else

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"Goodin knew these statements were false" lol i'd love to see their argument for that one

are they suing tavis too?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

weirdly, it's just a colour swapped version of GCHQ's cyber security advent calendar christmas tree

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why did you have servers delivered to your house?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jabor posted:

most of the world disables javascript?

they ought to

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. also how the hell did he manage to issue a cert for just under two months?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

that's a 90 day cert...

can't math, send help

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

intel still makes top-to-bottom server platforms (motherboard included) if for some reason you're not buying from some other tier-1 OEM. i don't believe they make workstation boards any more, and they haven't made consumer motherboards for a few years now.

imo, the biggest differences you'll find between most board vendors will be firmware and power component quality.

and trust me, you can gently caress up plenty with just lovely UEFI

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

depends on how you define workstation i guess. anything dual-socket will be legit, but there's not much of that. beyond that anything single socket that supports xeons and ecc should count, and gigabyte, asus, et al. have something it's just hard to find unless you go digging for it on their site.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's a fairly major manufacturer of glass curtain-walls in north america that buys nothing but cad stations built around consumer grade motherboards and the 2fast2furious pcgaming videocard of the day, because it saves nearly 50% per workstation over whatever optiplex model and certified drivers don't mean poo poo in cad and solidworks these days

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

compal makes all

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

does threadripper support ecc? i seem to remember it not having ecc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

y'know, a zine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

since it's apparently 1992, i'd say 2600

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/daviottenheimer/status/949348043744309248

loool

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/mik235/status/951217727422611456

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's something incredibly amusing about the hawaii ews team perpetrating a stunningly effective terrorist attack, entirely by accident

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a random guy on the internet posted:

It’s been several years since I worked with any EAS tech. But we had a “draft” mode (aka test mode or sandbox mode) that would let us preview anything about to be sent out. The live and draft environments look and operate almost identically, with the exception of the border color on the display window, a radio button on the screen, and the distribution sheet. I’m guessing that someone didn’t realize they were in the live environment before hitting send.

Another possibility, they were training a new hire who did not think/know to check for the difference.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

where else is that info going to come from when this alert is needed?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

idgi so it was door that opened to all cars? or this was a plate they previously had authorized?

either way it'd be like saying "an id card for a security system sucks because someone might take the id card from someone meant to have it"

i think the idea is it's pretty trivial to take a picture of an approved plate, then print it out on something the same dimensions, to fool an optical scanner

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Midjack posted:

similar to the kids in maryland who photographed a teacher's plate, printed out copies, and drove past as many speed cameras as they could find

lol. awesome

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

locks and honest people, etc.

as long as you're aware it's trivial to defeat, i guess

security snakeoil is harmful though, i guess it depends on how it's being marketed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

someone is claiming a practical attack based on meltdown/spectre, with no details of course

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not news: google continues to suck at vetting extensions and responding when malicious ones are found

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

smart companies get breached, for valuation purposes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

It looks like they stole his username by renaming the breached account to something else and re-registering his original username :magical:

this just happened to a local city councilor here in toronto

and on the subject of rule lawyering, we've successfully avoided data breaches be re-defining data breach

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

haveblue posted:

should have used the proper salt

oy vey

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what if cybersecurity but google, you know, on the cloud

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

ugh loving FIPS

FIPS mode? FIPS mode is the greatest loving sucks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how is this an oops? if they want to sell software to the russians this is sop

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/957771075663769600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm sorry subjunctive, but user tracking is haram

• Locked thread