Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Shifty Pony posted:

nah. you can't even require employees to use biometrics like hard scanning for ID without running into religious discrimination issues. requiring an implant would be completely off limits.

"looking at your hand with a computer is exactly the same as marking your hand with the sign of a metaphor for pagan faiths"
- a judgelawyer who finished school

the correct argument of "surrendering personal autonomy is not a prerequisite for employment in any sane situation", however, works just fine

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

people often use pet names as passwords, which is bad due to low entropy

the obvious solution is to name your pet a long string consisting of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols

my new dog's name is 1وَمَا مِن دَآبَّةٍ فِي الأَرْضِ وَلاَ طَائِرٍ يَطِيرُ بِجَنَاحَيْهِ إِلاَّ أُمَمٌ أَمْثَالُكُم مَّا فَرَّطْنَا فِي الكِتَابِ مِن شَيْءٍ ثُمَّ إِلَى رَبِّهِمْ يُحْشَرُونَ

also i'll be the person with a unicode password trying to log in on a laptop with no numpad

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

surebet posted:

password chat: i'm sure i'm not the first one to think of this, but since i'm not able to convince some people to use unique, long & complex passwords w/ managers, how good/bad would it be to tell them to change their current creds to something like the password typed 5x times in a row?

i know they use super short creds (not hard to count types when they go at it 2 fingered) and i'm pretty sure they're the kind of people who'll use the same pass everywhere; they also use the same [first name].[last name]@ on their personal & corp accounts, so i have concerns about people doing paypal/ebay/amazon/linkedin corroboration being able to pop accounts

eventually i'd hope to get those people onboarded into password managers & generally better opsec, but for now i'm looking for an easy concession to get from people on who i have no authority

i'd imagine it depends on the attack you're trying to mitigate

long passphrases are great against a computer pounding away endlessly without rate limiting (txt me) or a shoulder surfer with a short attention span but neither of those is going to beat a stolen linkedin password file from being used to attack credentials there

short of some esoteric requirements you know other sites won't have (must include one korean letter) or assigned passwords that are totally secured in the clear and won't be looked at or used by anyone ever honest, "use unique passwords you dolts" is about all you can hope for

here, we blackhole all inbound links so people can't use their official email addresses to create accounts because password confirmations don't work, but that's a dick move that probably won't fly in corporate america

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

in grade 4 we all got the talk about how some people are different and not everyone from russia is evil, now everyone say hi to igor, he'll tell you all about the shunt in his brain (even though it's pretty clear the damage has been done)

he was a funny and generally likeable guy, too bad he died at like 15 or something

don't die, endlessmonotony, that would be sad

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

Too loving late.

It's alright, it's not like it ever sticks, I'll just wake up in the lab at the 13th floor, hear the thunder and I'll be back on my barely-working feet.

well if you ever get blue and don't know where to go to, i know a guy

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

unless it is a festering landfill of diapers you cannot improve it with the addition of blockchain technology

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the people who would cheerfully send money orders to nigeria probably shouldn't be the same people in charge of unlocking my account

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Not really sure the best way to prove the point without giving them a pcap from my house and then they would know at minimum what node segment I'm on.

wonder if they'd tos you or just call the cops and report you for wiretapping

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

instead of timing it in songs, lapdances last until your tip's transaction is confirmed

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Rufus Ping posted:

tell it to french workers in public-serving roles

jew ring and muslim earring status: still okay

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the quiet revolution was indeed very very good but the party that gave us that was being driven by quite a few bigots

thankfully quebeckers aren't stupid

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

copyright infringement as a service isn't a great business model but maybe you shouldn't let corporations execute search warrants

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

keep reading - it wasn't a search warrant and the judge was pissed

potato potato, they went into his house and riffled through his poo poo

making anyone think they can do that is probably bad even when that someone isn't joe natale

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

our hero

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

created a killswitch that prevented the spread of the virus

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

agilebits more like agileshits

do you want to save this password oh and also all of your payment information you typed into this form

Only registered members can see post attachments!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

she also openly cheered the deaths of 2000 migrants with the hope that 2000 more might die

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

communism bitch posted:

Yes hello, please preserve for one thpusand years this 1tb hdd with millions of copies of hello.jpg

speaking of which i guess i should get started on yosmas this year

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

my Nests (thermostat and smoke detector) work fine with the internet out. first thing I tried when I got them home. same with my Z-wave light switches

I don't think I can connect my Echo to a Bluetooth device without internet, because the voice command is processed in the butt

they have to work with no internet otherwise they wouldn't be able to beep from inside the drink cooler

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

so i guess gchq is an apple shop

:aaa:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

“It’s not just, ‘Oh, this company can see my information and I’m OK with that.’ You now have to think about the security of that company.”

thanks professor

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

maybe they just got bored of doing it right and decided to just up and stop

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

thanks, ajitshack

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://deals.kinja.com/protect-your-online-privacy-with-a-lifetime-vpn-members-1798621362

windscribe vpn is offering lifetime subs for $38 today only

so which three letter agency do they belong to

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

baseball: a sport where looking in a certain direction is cheating if you look without your eyes

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

no really guys internet elections are a great idea

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Independent researcher Scott Gayou has identified eight vulnerabilities in Smiths Medical’s Medfusion 4000 Wireless Syringe Infusion Pump. Smiths Medical is planning to release a new product version to address these vulnerabilities in January, 2018. In the interim, NCCIC/ICS-CERT is recommending that users apply the identified compensating controls until the new version can be applied.
These vulnerabilities could be exploited remotely.

i'm disappointed that none of them is a sql injection

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

probably not. you can do blood flow analysis with IR

yeah whatever happened to that fangled microsoft webcam technology that was supposed to be able to do this

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/R1CH_TL/status/909732357451714560

just lomarf

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

b-b-b-b--but why is linkedin blocked

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

some exploits from the lab work perfectly well in vevo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

things you can do in a petri dish (in vitro) are often hard/impossible to repeat in living creatures (in vivo)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah i'm not too fond of their auto-connect to skimmer and send it commands approach though. 1234 and id should be enough, sending p is overkill

i'm cool with the idea of remotely bricking it in theory

in practice, the moment i do that will be the moment two-crowbars-craig shows up to check on his toy

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

from the makers of netnanny comes javajanitor

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

hey thread: how does one get in contact with krebs?

e: in a non-invasive manner obviously. dont want his home number thx

oxaloacetate and acetyl coa

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I guess they know who to address to get funding for security fixed.....

...ahhh, who am I kidding, CIOs are a FYGM of IT decisions.

CTOs are the FCKGW

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

vOv posted:

had to look this one up, glad i did

just finished an undergrad bio course not long ago; i'd signed up for it as an easy a because i like to think i'm good at biology, but the TA ended up to be some seriously scholarly postgrad who wanted me to work to my full potential or something

so yeah all that poo poo's burned into my skull now and i'm probably half of sci-hub's english search terms in 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Rat Poisson posted:

the university rolled out a new system for making edits to the catalog and course descriptions.

login is your univ email address (first.lastname@school.edu) and we were all told to use the same password: school mascot + what i assume is some high level adminstrator's birth year (i.e. crimsontide68).

kjs500 was probably too short

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The_Franz posted:

remember when microsoft paid the nfl a truckload of money to promote the surface and the announcers and players kept calling them "ipad-like tablets" and "knockoff ipads"

press a knee key to continue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/Viss/status/912437594993987584

Security Fuckup Megathread - v. 14.1 - 'a;sljfasdfjadjaserfaweakjwtgfaehasrhfasd;

• Locked thread