Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
modal editors are terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i got better things to do *plays factorio for six hours*

this but unironically

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres litterrally us cyber command. cyber is old as heck.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think alt-names are a solution for something like slack that dynamically generates hostnames. A 2-hour process is a long time if you have a lot of machines, especially if you provision new addressable systems frequently.

Why would wildcard certs be used across multiple servers more than alt-name ones? If people are going to re-issue for every server, they can do that with a wildcard too.

is lets encrypt cert generation not immediate? what is the 2 hour delay? also if you have that much a problem you can provision names prior to provisioning hosts to solve the problem.

if the goal of wildcard certs is ease of deployment, then why not include them in your machine templates instead of generating them on the fly? if you have the capability to generate on the fly, why not generate certs with the right names?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

wyoak posted:

I thought CSR's didn't include the private key, wildcard or not

yeah I've never sent or received a private key from the CA. wildcards function the same as everything else. the problem is mostly around what happens with the cert in your local environment where someone is like "hmm, i could generate a separate, identical wildcard cert for this new server or just copy the existing one from another server." Also according to lets encrypts docs they have a limit of 5 identical cert requests per week so you'd be limited to 5 new hosts per week if you wanted new keys for each wildcard.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

the 2 hour delay for re-provisioning came from the person I was quoting, based I believe on how long it took someone (idk who) to rotate certs on a set of servers

slack, as I keep saying, can't provision names ahead of time. they create new endpoints in real time based on user input

I don't know who, if anyone, is suggesting generating wildcard certs on the fly

you were suggesting generating them on the fly instead of reusing existing keys.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
right that part makes sense, but it clearly wasn't designed w/ wild card certs in mind.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

no, I was suggesting using wildcard certs, because slack can't predict what names they will need. if you go and create a slack community called "shaggarfanclub", then https://shaggarfanclub.slack.com" works moments later.

you were suggesting separate wild card certs (same domain, different key) instead of re-use which would require requesting new, identical wildcard certs with other keys. if you aren't doing this then you are re-using the keys and increasing your attack surface.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

oh, sure. just like you'd need to do to protect an alt-name version similarly, right? if you get the a|b|c|d|... key from one server you can see all traffic to all the servers, same as wildcard. Bangers was suggesting that you not share keys across servers, which means reissuing afaik.

sure but with the wildcard its more likely to be re-used everywhere meaning more traffic is vulnerable to a leaked key. using alt names limits exposure. this is assuming you're installing these alt-name certs on clusters serving the same group of names vs having alt-name certs for every name you host across all clusters in every cert. in that case you're right its not much different from wildcards, but its also a bad idea.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I would be *extraordinarily* surprised if LE's implementation asked for the private key, even if other CAs somewhere do or did, and we're talking about LE here

yeah i doubt that that would be a thing. i have a few godad wildcard certs and they were all generated from CSRs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tl;dr: the primary benefit of lets encrypt was avoidance of key-reuse and wildcards and now they're gonna end that so w/e. its stupid but i guess just don't use them yourself.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jabor posted:

While there's a lot of value to "if you've got an exploit against this target, how much lateral movement do you get to non-vulnerable targets, and how quickly is the intrusion identified?", I don't see what you get by using actual 0-days rather than just, say, giving the pentesters local root on a particular box to jump off from.

its a good way to test realistic intrusions against your generic mitigations to see if you actually can limit the spread or other damage beyond the unknown effects of the 0day. like if they can get into a box with the exploit but then you have mitigations that prevent them from escaping the machine/container/other jail, they might be able to gently caress up whats in that container but you can prove the efficacy of your other mitigations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
winphone ftw

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i mean, how different is it from loosing phone with sms 2fa, or do your carriers restore stolen numbers?

you just get a new phone and the same account w/ same number. the old phone/sim are deactivated. the reason SMS is so common for 2fa is because the user doesn't have to manage their own key recovery when their 2fa mechanism is lost. For example:

anthonypants posted:

just use the gauth recovery code when you set up gauth on your new phone

like how is this even a question

doesnt work for most users who are just going to pass right by the recovery key section during setup because all they see is a list of numbers and letters that they don't understand.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh yeah then you'd be hosed. same as if you didn't copy down your recovery keys for a non-sms 2fa. altho depending on the account they probably have a way to remove the 2fa which is an easier target than your SMS was in the first place.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

if we use asas is there a good alternative to anyconnect or should we be using anyconnect

anyconnect enforces policies that other clients may not (ex: split tunneling). the biggest thing is keeping it all up to date.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the ASAs support multiple protocols so 3rd party clients can be used by design, so if its not a compliance requirement that you enforce certain things then don't worry about it.

a bigger problem is that asa doesn't support anything beyond tls 1.0 afaik

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
is it her job to know what to pick or is she IT by way of "oh, you know what a computer is, you deal w/ this."

I like Sophos utms for small biz stuff. their pretty easy to use and manage and have a boatload of features.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if Microsoft was saying oems cant ship with non-Microsoft software installed, even if its subpar and detrimental to the user like MacAfee or firefox, they'd get hit w/ some bullshit by the ftc so fuckin fast.

w/ drivers Microsoft doesn't want to be responsible for updates cause who knows what kind of untested configurations are out there that are working fine on their oem release drivers but will break when given the latest stuff. not to mention, how much related software should they bundle w/ the driver?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

surebet posted:

re: unaltered windows, there's a bunch of stuff on my precision that's not handled natively and requires dell spec drivers. just off the top of my head my quadro outright rejects stock nvidia drivers & ddp stuff i'm not sure i can even talk with my biometrics

oems providing drivers installed is fine even if a reference copy of windows can make sense of the hardware imho, as long as the extra content is of actual use and not bullshit bloatware. in my ideal world, a new machine would submit a manifest of what's been hosed with by the oem, with clear this is a driver & this is ~bonus additional content~ that requires a user to opt into.

i mean i do use a couple non-critical things from dell like their more granular (wrt hardware options) power manager & their precision optimizer thing, had i had the choice i would've opted in to at least check them out

running on an opt-in system wouldn't even be a financial hit for oems, since even if you lose 10-20% of the user yield they can still look advertisers right in the eye and say "this is the deal now, get hosed if you don't like it". they get paid for delivery, maybe with a bonus for conversion, but the same people that would opt out are already uninstalling anyway

re: users installing windows on arrival, at this point installing windows is literal child's play, but as a consumer i'd expect my thing to arrive at my door ready to run out of the box, even as a weirdo that'll still do a clean install and re-image regularly

i'm also 90% sure you have to ship systems with the os installed to qualify for the massive oem discount, ms stopped issuing actual serials for oem licences somewhere around win7 or 8

signature edition laptops are good like that and litterrally the same price as direct from the oem. its weird.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that ruled

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

in ie/edge it would be updated the next time its used.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Daman posted:

so say someone recently got a job doing internal code security auditing. they're reviewing one feature, and their "Senior" coworker is meant to be reviewing another feature. they're adjacent on the org chart.

co-worker's output only seems to be "design flaws." the coworker has even taken a brief look at the feature they aren't tasked with and spotted what they think is a big design flaw and worthy of meetings etc etc. of course it's framed like the coworker was just being helpful with getting the person up to speed on how things go during reviews. new person thinks the design flaw isn't really a big deal because it doesn't affect confidentiality integrity or availability, it only disables the non-critical feature temporarily.

new person suspects a lot of memory corruption bugs in several areas of their feature. confirming would require debugging, and simple fuzzing due to the complexity of the code being too great to be certain from code review alone. memory corruption in this situation would allow RCE.

coworker likes to repeatedly say how code review is enough and debugging/fuzzing would take too much time. however, other than design flaws they're never filing anything more than very simple+obvious memory corruption bugs.

is coworker a useless charlatan or just skirting along doing the bare minimum? are they trying to drag the new person down to their level? how can you even CYA with them trying to inject themselves into your project like that. he really wants the new person to spend time trying to fix the design related to his bug instead of find bugs that actually matter. his poo poo would take 2wks out of the 3wks allotted.

I'm probably unreasonably angry about this, I guess using the new person to make you look good is common. job security fuckup

they're probably just trying to do the bare minimum while other poo poo has to get done. if you want clarity, consult w/ ur legal department or review existing policies.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phone posted:

i think win7 forces you to put in a password hint, so i think i set mine to "PASSWORD TIME!!!!!!!!!"

it's a good hint

(as i type my password into gchat for the 50th time)

my windows password hint is a space I think

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

becase i press ctrl + shift + esc unlike you chumps

why would you bring up task manager when leaving ur comp?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
anyone who doesn't lock their comp @ work leaves themselves open to being hosed w/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

standard course of action here is your background being changed to Hulk Hogan and if you do it again you get a screenshot of your desktop with shortcuts = off

you should also rotate the display and rotate the desktop background to match

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

nevada dmv: hold my loving beer

(displayed on failed login, and yes they mean exactly 8)

CMS also requires 8 characters, but they only allow alphanumeric characters.

Thankfully I don't have to use their garbage systems anymore.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://security.gerhardt.link/RCE-in-Factorio/

Factorio is a very popular multiplayer factory management and automation game. It supports modification though the use of Lua scripts. For security and determinism (in a multiplayer game all clients process the game state separately, any client difference would result in desyncronization and crashing) access to certain Lua core libraries is disabled. This includes OS, debug and package. Factorio supports a Lua REPL that can be used by administrative users in multiplayer games and will also autorun Lua provided by the server on joining in a less widely used system called “scenarios”.

don't care. factorio rules

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

pretty great timeline considering game devs

2017-07-21: I revisited the issue and found an exploit vector, issue reported.
14 hours later: I’m informed the issue has been patched and the patch will be included in the next release.
2017-07-25: Patch released, I confirmed the vulnerability has been fixed. The

the factorio devs are constantly working on it and posting updates about changes and stuff. its pretty cool.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fivehead posted:

NYTimes: Wells Fargo Accidentally Releases Trove of Data on Wealthy Clients

They will probably face no consequence and probably cant quantify the loss internally

lol. how is it even possible to get that information out of their system?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yuck

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

there is an EU law coming in called GDPR that includes right to be forgotten and stuff and it is going to gently caress. poo poo. up. because good luck finding which of your 100 old rear end hosed up document stores with 800Pb of data has my personal information in it when i vindictively pull that on you when i leave.

edit: gently caress this just reminded me that legal used to .pst peoples entire mailboxes and dump them on a shared drive when they left lol

"Our acceptable use policy does not allow for personal use of company resources, therefore any content related to you in our system is company property. "

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I am a little concerned with reprisal as a customer. Not really sure the best way to prove the point without giving them a pcap from my house and then they would know at minimum what node segment I'm on. They're still the best ISP available

w/ ISPs they probably wont go after you unless its a government backed entity. also getting a hold of a higher level tech would be the way to go cause they're in a position to understand what you're saying and not have a motive to shut you down.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

If you think something is amiss, reporting to the FCC is a good call. It is my understanding that reprisal for reporting them to the FCC would be some sort of crime or tort. (Not a lawyer)

Generic expressions of "hey this company sucks" can probably be met with "ok lol bye", to put it all legalesey.

This copying?

if your FCC report isn't someone violating broadcast frequency/power they don't give a gently caress

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Maybe I'll open a ticket under the guise of getting IPv6 setup and see if I can slip it in that I am seeing other people's traffic

I think its more likely they'll just close it as "ipv6 not yet supported" or something to that effect. if you can find the number for the noc or something that would be the way to go.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
is it worth reporting spear phishing/wire fraud attempts to the feds?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it would depend on whether or not the furry was non-white.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmbo SEP to SEPM traffic appears to be straight HTTP on an alt port how the gently caress hasn't someone arp poisoned or intercepted on wifi to use this to compromise endpoints as root

its probably checking signatures but also probably checking signatures in a way that's wrong and exploitable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh I was thinking it was updates, but if the control traffic is unencrypted and unsigned then lol. it would be pretty easy to grab a trace and see what its sending and if its signed or not.

• Locked thread