Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hobbesmaster posted:

if you have a microcontroller without a trng is any tls implementation doomed to being terribly broken?

are you telling me my Amiga's openssl implementation is broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Lain Iwakura posted:

yep :love: :bigtran:

let's all love lain

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I've got an early model CD-I kicking around but I can't seem to get it to read any of my burned discs

doesn't it run OS-9 or something? maybe someone could make homebrew FMV games lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MononcQc posted:

the worst part about vim being from the 70s is all the hot takes from the 70s you get to hear for using it

I like emacs

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/Arikuyo/status/899664215186845697

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

fishmech posted:

latvia dollars is euros

infernal machines posted:

latvian dollars or, like, real dollars

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

secfuck from 1980

I got a modem for my Atari 8-bit. in the Atari computers, the sound chip doubles as a 115200bps UART. this leads to the annoying effect of any serial i/o coming through the speakers. you get used to the speaker beeping every time a sector gets loaded from disk or whatever. good programs are supposed to mute the audio registers or at least turn them down. (the OS disk routines do not, ostensibly for debugging)

the modem only supports 300bps transfer so I called up a BBS. the phone signal came through the computer, which is pretty neat for such an old device. but then after I connected and it turned off the speaker sound, I turned the volume up on my monitor. turns out you can hear every transferred byte from the modem coming through the TV speaker as clicks of various frequencies as the audio registers are hammered with serial data :haw:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

lol my brother used to keep cash in this plastic toy safe as a childe

he forgot the combination when he found it again so I just smashed it against the floor until it opened

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

is my UltraSPARC II-based Sun server safe :ohdear:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/perpetualgeek/status/952693228259684354

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

this isn't even the first time someone's pushed the wrong button

quote:

It happened 43 years ago today, on February 20, 1971. On that Saturday morning at 9:33 AM Eastern time, Telex machines in every broadcast station in America that was part of the EBS suddenly rang urgently with ten successive bells–a signal only used for an imminent EBS warning–and then spat out a sheet reading, “This is an Emergency Action Notification directed by the president. Normal broadcasting will cease immediately.” The telex included the code word, “Hatefulness.”

This was a big deal, and very scary. The way EBS was supposed to work was, once stations received the notice, they were supposed to look up the code word in a book to make sure it was genuine, then, if it was, break into programming and announce something big was coming–possibly an address by the President of the United States. However, most stations who were part of the EBS were pretty slack. They either didn’t understand what the telex meant or didn’t know what to do when it came. A few, however, did follow the procedure. The code word “Hatefulness,” looked up in the book, was genuine. That meant the EBS had been triggered deliberately.

In the following minutes, many confusing messages emanated from Cheyenne Mountain, the Department of Defense base in Wyoming, to EBS-participating stations. They told the stations that the original telex was a false alarm, but there was also supposed to be another code word to authenticate a cancellation, and that code word–“impish”–was not included in the new telexes. Thus, under their rules, stations like WOWO had to ignore them. Conceivably in a real war the Soviets might try to confuse the American public by sending out false messages, perhaps hoping to maximize civilian casualties in a sneak nuclear attack. Unlikely–and diabolical–but possible, and in that era of distrust, who knew?

At 10:13 AM, more than half an hour after the crisis began, Cheyenne Mountain finally sent a real cancellation message: “Cancel message sent at 09:33 EST, repeat cancel message. Message authenticator: Impish.” It was over. No Nixon, no nukes. The whole thing was a false alarm.

many stations ignored the original activation message, didn't receive it, or didn't know what to do when it came. it took 40 minutes for the government to even figure out how to cancel the message

quote:

There was chaos and confusion in the nation’s newsrooms. No one had ever seen an actual Emergency Activation Authentication before. The fact that the message came at the same time as a scheduled test added to the confusion. (As one New York radio station manager was quoted anonymously, "If the Russians want to attack us, they should do it at 9:33 on a Saturday morning.") Others argued that an actual emergency alert was supposed to be preceded by ten bells on the teletype; this alert had followed only three bells. While hundreds of radio and television stations followed the instructions and went off the air immediately after broadcasting an EAN message, many more did not.

The alert revealed system-wide weaknesses in the EBS. Many stations did not know the correct procedure; others chose to check first if other stations in their area had gone off the air before deciding whether to follow the alert. Some stations couldn’t find the authentication word on their lists; others couldn’t even find their lists. Some stations failed even to receive the alert at all. The White House Communication Center fielded dozens of calls from radio and television stations looking for confirmation of the alert. The White House could only say it knew nothing of the erroneous message but likewise had no knowledge of an actual emergency.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/colebunzel/status/955121985188712449

https://twitter.com/colebunzel/status/955234643095244800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Xarn posted:

That can't possibly be true, right?

it’s true. according to super mega hardcore fundamentalists like Abu Windows up there, accepting a EULA means agreeing to settle disputes outside of a sharia court and therefore APOSTASY and death.

nobody thinks this outside of the inner circlejerk of ISIS

• Locked thread