Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Decebal posted:

Of course ! Cassini just flew through the water plumes coming from deep within Enceladus and found "organic molecules" . But you know they found more than that. Like a weird bacteria that entered the instruments and now they're just waiting for the right time to announce it

Cassini isn't equipped to test beyond that. It could scoop up a swarm of space bees, but it's only capable of testing them out as "organic molecules".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Altair Knight posted:

What space bees...

It's nothing to worry about. Consume and reproduce as though nothing is wrong.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Decebal posted:

Then if would e fair to charge the scientists who designed it with criminal negligence considering what a huge discovery they're missing. Maybe have them pay a % of the mission cost back to NASA since now we'll have to wait decades for another probe to get there

There really should be a penalty system for short shortsightedness on these things. Hell, even back on the Viking lander the test was all freaky. The cliff notes to that are that they'd decided "If the test for life gives result X it's a positive, and if it does Z it's a negative" and in the end it gave weird rear end results that didn't quite fit X or Z so the said "gently caress it, nevermind". And with all the poo poo they've chucked up there since they still haven't put much concerted effort into figuring out what the gently caress was going on back in 1976.

I mean I get that space is limited on these things, but come on.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't think you do get that, or how designing the things works in the first place. An instrument that can test for a huge variety of things to cover all the bases will not only be too bulky, but it just wouldn't get funded. There has to be a near guarantee on results (either positive or negative) for them to be approved, they won't let you put a space bee detector on because "maybe there will be some". First you'd have to observe some signature that at the very least suggests their existence, and then and only then can you start applying for funding to design your bee detector.

Yeh. That's why I pointed out the lack of direct follow up on a specific curiosity that reared it's head forty years ago.

• Locked thread