Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MassRafTer posted:

CM Punk was sloppy and got gassed and it didn't stop him from having great matches. Seth Rollins has been painfully average for the last year, Roman has definitely been better than him. Ric Flair did less moves than Roman and AJ thinks the Earth is flat and jerks off to Trump while Roman is a good dad and friend to all man.

Wrestling is drama and build not moves, friend.

You know what, I'll bite even though I know there's 0% chance of me getting a non-ironic answer: why do you think Roman Reigns is a legitimate great wrestler? You, not Meltzer or whatever. I think he's a perfectly OK dude that has had the benefit of instant heat from being always in the title contendership and the chance to work with some amazing talent. The issue isn't that his moveset is limited, is that it's uninteresting, his power offense looks like a struggle, his brawling is limited to superman punches and the drive-by. His spear is a good finisher but it's also overplayed, so he doesn't even get the Stunner/RKO boost there. He's booked to be at the same time this unbeatable monster and the full-of-heart babyface. There's no drama in Roman matches, he takes extended heat, makes the comeback a la Cena and either gets screwed or hits a spear. Outside of the ring, dude is not a good promo, and WWE has built his character up to be as generic as possible. LIke, I don't think he's horrible or unsalvageable, but what is the FIRE psychology Roman brings to the table, what is the unique personality and character work, what's the technical element?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MassRafTer posted:

He has great timing, absolutely fantastic timing mainly. WWE matches are pretty structured these days due to the style and agenting so one of the big things a wrestler can bring to them is timing. Roman knows exactly when to hit his spots and transition and that's part of why his big spots get big reactions so often even from a crowd booing him. He also does little things like knowing when to fight back and get hope spots in. He has a lot of physical charisma so that helps sell his strikes and such.

I'll agree with you that his timing is REAL good, it's basically what makes his good matches (and why he was so good in the Shield). I still feel his psychology and offense leave quite a bit to be desired compared to a lot of other faces, and at the end of the day I agree with this:

Tomahawk posted:

Roman is a good heel shoe horned into a dogshit baby face role

It's kinda hard to buy Roman's hope spots when he's both an rear end in a top hat (not the performer, the character) and pretty much unbeatable in a straight-up fight. His great timing would be better served if he was cutting down babyface comebacks, since as you noted he can sell strikes pretty well. It's why I don't think he's great: a lot of it has to do with poo poo WWE booking but in my opinion Roman as a face wrestles like the worst eras of Cena - and maybe he'll get REAL good like Cena did, but as of right now I don't think he's good enough/has enough of a pull to make up for all that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Punk/Lesnar was pretty good, but it was also before Lesnar went full Suplex City, Bitch.

i miss cm punk sometimes i know we're supposed to be all "hah my ex sucked" but late at night i thing about his lovely elbow drop and i smile

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

you say that like its a bad thing

Oh, quite the opposite, it's just that people started this conversation by mentioning matches after that Cena squash.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm picturing Roman doing the post credits scene in Dodgeball now. It's his yard and his milkshake.

• Locked thread