Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Faustian Bargain posted:

Exactly. There was hype for them coming in, then the just went straight into "we're another WWE tag team" within weeks.

WWE's mission for the last several years has been to kill enthusiasm for everything. Their moves couldn't have been better suited for destroying hype for every single thing that had hype if they had in fact been calculated to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Eli Wiggum posted:

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised Kevin Owens' main roster run hasn't been utterly sabotaged yet (unless you count jobbing to Goldberg in like five seconds)

I count the 8 months where he couldn't win a match even as Champion and the three matches he dropped back to Cena in a row after the one that he won.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

At this point one has to credit Roman's in-ring abilities, they've grown into the level he's been put on. No, he's not one of the best ever, but he's not average either. I personally don't think he's ever going to get "60 minutes with a broomstick," good, I don't even think he's ever going to get to the point where he can be the guy leading the match, but he doesn't need those skills to put on great matches, which he does consistently. He has great chemistry with pretty much all of WWE's main eventers, and he does his half of the dance well every time. The matches that he's had recently that were terrible have to be laid more at the booking team's feet than his, including the Undertaker match.

I'll never stop laughing at the lengthy naps he takes in basically every match, or his consistent failure to perform power moves right, but at the end of the day he's not a bad in-ring performer anymore. His problems and why he continues to be despised are unrelated.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The "Roman takes lengthy naps in matches" is confirmation bias. It's an extended sell spot for the babyface before a comeback, something in roughly 99% of WWF main events ever.

Well, when I'm talking about his Naps its less about long sell spots and more about how he is consistently the least productive person in any multi-man match to the point where it sticks out like a sore thumb. We all remember the Royal Rumble where he Bravely Ran Away for a 20 minute break on his own power while barely even showing a limp, blatantly abusing a rules loophole because he had what looked like a modest owie based on his sell job. That's something one would expect from Miz, and it was done with the ostensible top babyface.

Again though, this weakness falls on the bookers more than Roman, at least is has for the last 9 months or so. There was a time when those naps were very clearly because of bad cardio, now they're just because of bad match structure. The same goes for the lovely power moves to a point, although Roman has to take a decent sized chunk of the blame because he's the one deciding to keep doing them when he knows he can't at the end of the day.

• Locked thread