Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Someone mentioned "Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight", and I tried to watch it last night. M-hm, that's some bad poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Even as a teenager I thought this was garbage. Turned it off a few minutes in. Hokey crap for pubescent boys.

There was one good reason to watch this movie, but I'll save you the runtime minus 5 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcKTbFbwrxE

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I wonder how this movie holds up:

I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I've always remembered the half-man/ half-tank guy named "Mandroid."

I never saw this when it came out in 1994, but I wish I did. Tammy and the T-Rex is one of the most hilariously bizarre movies I have ever seen:

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
I love that episode of The Office where Michael's fourteen year old nephew says he loves "cinema" and his two favorite films are "Citizen Kane and The Boondock Saints." It's too perfect.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Celery Face posted:

He got written out of the show in the 2nd season (or third season?) because everyone hated his character.

HAHA Why did people hate his character?

Edit: Boondock Saints was alright as an action romp. It wasn't deep or meaningful, but had some fun parts to it. You and you're fuckin' rope.

Content: Jurassic Park. gently caress that movie.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 9, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I wonder how this movie holds up:

I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I've always remembered the half-man/ half-tank guy named "Mandroid."

Holy gently caress I had forgotten about this! I can garauntee that the movie does not live up to the poster.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I'm sure most of the films I liked as a kid are terrible by my standards nowadays. My brother owned the DinoRiders movie (maybe it was a tv show) and we used to watch that poo poo all the time. I still remember the rotoscoped intro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u579c5skKQ

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Ice Pirates, maybe. I saw the movie a lot as a kid and the last time I gave even some of it a watch was on TV some years ago and just the late 70s/early 80s supertacky SF vibe either makes it great or drags it down to the point of being cringey. I need to just rewatch it from start to finish to see how I feel about it today.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Wrageowrapper posted:

I'm sure most of the films I liked as a kid are terrible by my standards nowadays. My brother owned the DinoRiders movie (maybe it was a tv show) and we used to watch that poo poo all the time. I still remember the rotoscoped intro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u579c5skKQ

I had too drat many of these toys.

A few years ago a friend and I were discussing awesome movies we hadn't seen since we were kids and ended up somehow getting our hands on Legend (feat. one Tom Cruise). Boy was watching that again a mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjMnXHzw534

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The real answer, as has been already stated, is of course Robot Jox.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I don't want to watch The Golden Child for fear that it won't be as amazing as I found it when I was whatever years old.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Jastiger posted:

HAHA Why did people hate his character?
He was whiny and annoying. TBF the main character is too.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

Ice Pirates, maybe. I saw the movie a lot as a kid and the last time I gave even some of it a watch was on TV some years ago and just the late 70s/early 80s supertacky SF vibe either makes it great or drags it down to the point of being cringey. I need to just rewatch it from start to finish to see how I feel about it today.

I saw this a couple years ago and actually loved it. It doesn't take itself seriously, and you need to be in on that from the beginning. I tried watching Krull around the same time and couldn't bear it.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Top Gun really, really works if you watch it as the drama of a man trying to bury his homosexual impulses

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

JediTalentAgent posted:

lol that was my favourite movie

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Top Gun is a terrible and childish movie that deserves to be forgotten.

poisonpill posted:

Top Gun really, really works if you watch it as the drama of a man trying to bury his homosexual impulses
I would try this if it didn't mean watching Top Gun again.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 9, 2017

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Tried to reason with myself that this might not have been that terrible, but when I really think about it, the plot seems really dumb even for a kids movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Even as a teenager I thought this was garbage. Turned it off a few minutes in. Hokey crap for pubescent boys.
Yeah, I've never had good taste but even as a teenager I saw it and was all "oh, ok. It's for dudes who are really big fans of nu-metal and took Fight Club at face value." I am a snotty human being.

Speedboat Jones posted:

The Pagemaster
I recall the Pagemaster picture book had some really ace illustrations, but yeah the movie bites, and it even has Patrick Stewart and Leonard Nimoy in it. I'd say there's a good visually arresting version to be made with modern tech., but we know it'd be forced to be about video games and "books are really cool too you guys" to an uncomfortable degree.

poisonpill posted:

Yeah we've all seen that Tarantino speech. Doesn't stop it from being 100% accurate though.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Buckaroo Banzai.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Starman Super DX posted:

Tried to reason with myself that this might not have been that terrible, but when I really think about it, the plot seems really dumb even for a kids movie.

Came so close to posting that yesterday lol

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

I remember being young enough to see and enjoy the movie Kazaam in theaters.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Debunk This! posted:

Did you also see Shazam, starring Sinbad?

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Debunk This! posted:

:same:

this movie holds up in the sense that it's SO bad that it needs to be seen later as an adult

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Starman Super DX posted:

:same:

this movie holds up in the sense that it's SO bad that it needs to be seen later as an adult

What is the plot of kazaam

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

moose face posted:

lol I mentioned this to someone earlier today and they asked me the same thing. I don't even really remember because the second time I saw it was probably about five or six years ago. All I know is disenfranchised white kid finds a magic boombox and for some reason it summons a now presumably washed up basketball player who uses his mystical coolness and attitude to turn the kid's life around.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Starman Super DX posted:

lol I mentioned this to someone earlier today and they asked me the same thing. I don't even really remember because the second time I saw it was probably about five or six years ago. All I know is disenfranchised white kid finds a magic boombox and for some reason it summons a now presumably washed up basketball player who uses his mystical coolness and attitude to turn the kid's life around.

Is there some sort of conflict that needs to be resolved

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

moose face posted:

Is there some sort of conflict that needs to be resolved

Wikipedia posted:

The film begins with a very big wrecking ball destroying an abandoned building. The impact knocks over a magic lamp inside of the building, causing it to land on a boombox. The genie inside decides to make residence inside the boombox from there on in.

Meanwhile, a boy named Max (Francis Capra) goes to school. He greets his friend, Jake (portrayed by Jake Glaser, director Paul Michael Glaser's son), with a goofy face and is chastised by his teacher. Max is confronted by a gang of bullies, who hold him on the bathroom floor and spray paint his outline. The bullies chase Max through Brooklyn. Max is chased into the abandoned building, where he discovers the boombox and accidentally unleashes the genie inside. The genie, who introduces himself as Kazaam (Shaquille O'Neal), tells Max that he is now Max's genie and proves it to him by demonstrating his powers, which results in Kazaam disappearing off the face of the earth.

Max returns home to find that his mother is marrying a fireman named Travis. It is revealed that his mother lied to him about his real father's whereabouts, and that he is actually located in the city. Max set out to search for his father in the hopes of rekindling some sort of bond between them. He suddenly encounters Kazaam during his travels, who pesters Max into making a wish. Max eventually finds his father, only to learn that he is a musical talent agent who specializes in unauthorized music.

Max goes to his personal secret hideout and tells Kazaam about his father. They decide to have a bike race through Max's hideout, during which Kazaam shows off his powers. Kazaam finally convinces Max to make his first wish, which consists of junk food raining from the sky. While eating all of this, Max suddenly realizes that he owns Kazaam until he makes his last two wishes. Max and Kazaam go out to see Max's father again.

After getting past an intimidating bodyguard, Max is introduced by his father to the other employees of the agency and invited to a nightclub. The owner of the nightclub, Malik (Marshall Manesh), shows interest in Kazaam upon the realization that he is a genie, and he hopes to control Kazaam through Max's father. The next day, Kazaam stays in Max's home and passes himself off as Max's tutor.

Max confesses to Kazaam that he and his father aren't really connecting, though Kazaam attempts to shirk the issue with some rapping. Max attempts to wish for his father and mother to fall back in love, but Kazaam cannot grant this wish because he is not a djinn, and therefore not free to grant ethereal wishes.

Later that day, Max witnesses his father being assaulted by Malik and his minions and goes to Kazaam for help. Kazaam just received a record deal as a professional rapper and is unable to help Max out. Max is kidnapped by Malik and takes possession of Kazaam's boombox. After pushing Max down an elevator shaft, Malik summons Kazaam in the hopes that he will do his bidding. While Kazaam is initially powerless against his master, he soon breaks free from his oppression and defeats Malik and his minions.

Kazaam transforms Malik into a basketball and then slam dunks him into a garbage disposal. However, he then finds Max's lifeless body, and wishes that he could have granted Max's wish to give his father a second chance at life. Then, in his sorrow, Kazaam finally becomes a djinn, and is therefore able to do this for Max. With him officially a djinn, he pulls Max out of harm's way and carried out of the burning building by Travis. Max's father then shows up and tells him that he hopes to rekindle the bonding with his son, before he takes off with authorities. Kazaam is then last seen walking off being grilled by his girlfriend because he doesn't have a job, while at the same time, ecstatic over his newfound freedom.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

This is the most 90's thing

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

moose face posted:

It's the sequel to Shaq-Fu.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

moose face posted:

This is the most 90's thing

right? I knew it had something to do with the kid hating his dad or his parents or something. you could play 90's movie bingo with poo poo like that

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

King Vidiot posted:

I watched Boondock Saints for the first time like 5 years or so ago. My younger stepbrother loaned it to me and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I was really straining not to mention how lovely and forgettable it was, so I was just like "EGGGGGGGGGGGGH it was okay!".

The best thing about Boondock Saints is the documentary it spawned about what a dumb fuckhead the director is and how his Hollywood downfall is all his stupid fault.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 9, 2017

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tumble posted:

The best thing about Boondock Saints is the documentary it spawned about what a dumb fuckhead the director is and how his Hollywood downfall is all his stupid fault.

I liked when the dumb Italian shot the cat

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

for some reason we owned a dvd copy of austin powers: goldmember and my sister who was like, 8 was obsessed with it and watched it over and over again. my mom used to heavily police the media we consumed based on other people's hand-wringing but she kind of swung the other direction when she realized it was a futile effort and other people's hand wringing had prevented all of us from seeing actually good + cool things so she completely did not give a poo poo by the time this had happened.

we hadn't seen the other two austin powers but boy do i know that movie, scene for scene, line by line. there are a few good jokes but the entire thing is just aggressively mediocre but i guess the joke hadn't worn thin by the third movie since we had only seen that one

I hated both Austin Powers sequels but liked the original. There was just something lovely and off about both of them where the original had sincerity and it made them infinitely less amusing.

Besides other than mini me, I think every time someone quotes, references, or mentions that series it's always the first one, so I don't think I'm alone.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tumble posted:

No, the best thing about Boondock Saints is THERE WAS A FIRRREEEEFIIIIGHT

I'll credit that scene being 30 seconds of what the gently caress awesome in a meh movie more on DaFoe than anyone else though. I half wonder if the script had him just reciting this stuff like a detective and DaFoe took some really good drugs before filming it and did this instead.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The real answer, as has been already stated, is of course Robot Jox.

Completely wrong. Robot Jox is awesome at any age!

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 9, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Starman Super DX posted:

Max is confronted by a gang of bullies, who hold him on the bathroom floor and spray paint his outline.

this is completely loving bizarre lol

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Not his outline!

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I thought Joe Dirt was a masterpiece for a very long time, and watched it in its entirety every time it came on HBO back in the day. I have probably seen it over 20 times. I watched it again last month and it was really stupid and mostly bad, but I smiled at how I used to quote that movie so much with my friends when I was 16/17.

I tried watching the second one last year and turned off after 15 minutes when I saw the same jokes from the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Haier posted:

I thought Joe Dirt was a masterpiece for a very long time, and watched it in its entirety every time it came on HBO back in the day. I have probably seen it over 20 times. I watched it again last month and it was really stupid and mostly bad, but I smiled at how I used to quote that movie so much with my friends when I was 16/17.

I tried watching the second one last year and turned off after 15 minutes when I saw the same jokes from the first one.

What? You like to see homos naked?

• Locked thread