Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lost in Space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I liked pretty much anything Disney as a kid, including The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.

My reaction to seeing them anew as an adult:

:chloe:

On the other hand, I didn't realize that The Lion King is a goddamned masterpiece until I was an adult.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

like a cigarette should posted:

Hey The Little Mermaid and especially Beauty and the Beast still stand the test of time for me, even though Lion King is leaps and bounds ahead of like everything.

Now, rewatching Cinderella was torture, and beside the art being impressive, Bambi is goddamn atrocious.

The animation is pretty rough. They honestly look like TV quality. Even The Rescuers Down Under had better animation in general. There's a few nice setpieces like the storm and "Kiss the Girl", but it's still subpar. I think it was the first film where they started experimenting with the digital color system, so maybe that's why it looks off.

Beauty is probably more me because the Cocteau film is one of my favorites and Disney's film is so pedestrian. The biggest missed opportunity is that Avenant is actually a somewhat likable character in Cocteau's film, while they turned him into an obnoxious idiot as Gaston. It's more annoying since Gaston is obviously modeled after Jean Maris, as is Le Fou after Avenant's friend.

I get why they didn't want to stay close to Cocteau's film since it would be too close to Cinderella, but it's still weak storytelling.

• Locked thread