Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Xaris posted:

also goes without saying but ever Jim Carrey movie of the 90s. loved the poo poo out of them then but awful now (except truman show is still p good)

Even The Mask? I loved that movie as a kid, but haven't seen it in years.

I once hit the DVD of the movie from a cereal box and was disappointed that there were some scenes cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tumble posted:

When I was 11 or 12 my dad finally realized he didn't give a poo poo what I watched, so my friend and I were allowed to watch R-Rated Movies (as long as we didn't tell our moms.) Boy oh boy we didn't give a poo poo if they were any good, if it was an R-Rated action, horror, or sci-fi movie we were all the gently caress about it.

We loved:
Creepshow 1, 2 and 3 (actually the first one is pretty sweet)
Robocop 1 and 2 (we actually thought the 3rd one was dumb as poo poo. And we figured out why: IT IS PG-13 LIKE FOR BABIES!)
Death Race 2000
The Blob (The 1988 remake. It's actually kind of the poo poo, super gory and they kill off a kid towards the end, which we thought was loving awesome.)
Sleepwalkers
Total Recall (A sweet movie)
Starship Troopers! (This was the 1st r-rated movie we were allowed to see in the theaters. Some ticket lady tried to rat us out, telling my dad "This is very violent movie." but my dad was like "Then I'm sure they're going to love it. 3 please.")
Speed (This one we actually weren't too in love with, it wasn't quite r-rated enough in our opinions. But we owned the VHS so we still watched it all the time)
All of the Aliens and both Terminators. (Of course. Those were required viewing in the 90s.)

Oh poo poo, AND MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE! That movie was so bad that my mom knew it was R-Rated but she still didn't give a poo poo if we watched it. And she is a properly strict British lady too, so it had to be a properly dumb movie for her to let us watch it. "It's nonsense I don't know why you watch this one so much." Because it had killer trucks and steamrollers mom, duh.

And then basically every movie in the horror sections of video stores. We would spend a long-rear end time just staring at movie covers, trying to find the one with the grossest cover. Most of them were terrible, but they were R-Rated so they were also great. Oh yea, we LOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVED the Critter's movies. Basically anything where people got eaten by monsters was The poo poo.

We hated Ernest Scared Stupid though. I think both of us were just way too loving scared by it, because we used to love the other Ernest movies, but we'd always skip over Scared Stupid because it's actually pretty drat scary.

That's exactly why Ernest Scared Stupid was the best one.

My dad let me watch lots of r-rated movies when I was 4 years old, including the 80's remake of The Blob, Total Recall, and Rocky Horror Picture Show. He got me to laugh at the gory special effects so I wouldn't be scared.

From what my parents tell me, the only show that actually scared me as a child was an episode of Babar that featured a lake monster. I refused to take a bath until my parents swapped out the dark green tub mat with a different colour.

There was also an X-Files episode that creeped me out a lot too. I remember having a dream about hoards of glowing, green bugs in a dark forest.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tumble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBI46ZkQpuM&t=86s

that was a great episode, i love stuff where people struggle against monsters together. thats why i loved the Romero Dawn of the Dead so much as well. my dad and I used to watch the IFC halloween marathons.The Fly, Dawn of the Dead, all that good stuff.

Oh my gosh, I haven't seen that scene in years! The blob coming out of the sink was something that really stuck with me.

I'm also reminded of it every tine I watch Ghostbusters 2 with the goo coming out of the bathtub.

I always liked Ghostbusters 2.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Corny Cornflake posted:

Did you by any chance grow up in a logging town? That episode really creeped me out as well and the fact that the bugs were released from the rings of trees that got cut down mixed with me growing up in a logging town turned the creepout dial to the max.

Nope! Grew up in the prairies. No idea why that was the one episode that got to me.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

lalaland posted:

Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold

I loved this loving movie because I thought james earl jones with his axe was so cool

I loved that movie too! We had it on VHS. I didn't know there were actually other Allan Quartermain movies, but now I want to watch them.

• Locked thread