Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
Once Upon a Forest

It turns out that the plot, upon closer inspection, makes no sense at all.

e: also small woodland creatures being suffocated by chlorine gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Starman Super DX posted:

Once Upon a Forest

It turns out that the plot, upon closer inspection, makes no sense at all.

e: also small woodland creatures being suffocated by chlorine gas

it is also a children's movie
Welp that was supposed to be a second edit. My bad.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

There was a movie I rented called like cartoon all stars to the rescue it had a bunch of different cartoon characters trying to save some kid from doing drugs

I had to watch this in various anti-drug and DARE programs as a kid. My favorite part is the older brother's "DRUG BOX" which contains a number of mystery objects that he clearly uses to administer the nefarious drugs into his system.
Oh and the kids at the arcade offering him crack.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

It blew my mind to learn in high school later that Rock-a-Doodle was very, VERY loosely based on one of the Canterbury Tales. I'd like to say I don't remember the animation being that bad (it's a Don Bluth, right?) but I haven't seen it in a hundred years. Probably the last time I saw A Troll in Central Park too.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Egbert Souse posted:

The animation is pretty rough. They honestly look like TV quality. Even The Rescuers Down Under had better animation in general. There's a few nice setpieces like the storm and "Kiss the Girl", but it's still subpar. I think it was the first film where they started experimenting with the digital color system, so maybe that's why it looks off.

Beauty is probably more me because the Cocteau film is one of my favorites and Disney's film is so pedestrian. The biggest missed opportunity is that Avenant is actually a somewhat likable character in Cocteau's film, while they turned him into an obnoxious idiot as Gaston. It's more annoying since Gaston is obviously modeled after Jean Maris, as is Le Fou after Avenant's friend.

I get why they didn't want to stay close to Cocteau's film since it would be too close to Cinderella, but it's still weak storytelling.

But... but nobody's neck is as incredibly thick as Gaston's!

and what? The Sandlot is a bad movie? Since when?

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

jfc that tagline

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Is Meatballs still good? I haven't seen that one in probably 15 years.

Oh yeah, and this may not be a popular opinion, but I thought Animal House was kinda dumb. I'd be willing to grant that most of the movie was alright, but the ending was ridiculous. Like you think that they're gonna come up with some wacky plan to pass college and pull one over on the dean, but instead they just... incite a violent riot. Like it almost borders on domestic terrorism by today's standards. It's not even that it was offensive to me, just kinda felt like a lazy and boring ending. I'd rather watch Race for your Life, Charlie Brown.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

striking that off of my list of possible future usernames.

The Great Mouse Detective

I mean it's not BAD, but it's not as good as I remembered it. The clock tower scene is still awesome though.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Bonzo posted:

Clerks is definitely a product of its time but the acting is bad, with the exception of Randal and Dante. Everyone else is reciting their lines like it's a high school senior play.

When I really think about it, it's the two female characters that aren't that good, I feel like everyone else does a half decent job. the first girl is good in the scene at the end when she chews out Dante though. I think it was in one of his specials Kevin Smith said when it was originally written he was supposed to be Dante, but he hated watching himself act and so he became Silent Bob. I used to like Kevin Smith a lot. I still kinda like Mallrats :saddowns: I guess I'm in the minority there. It's just got a nice feels. His special "stand up" things are probably still pretty funny too. He's just become kind of a fat, arrogant, smelly rear end in a top hat now. Comic Book men is the prime example of this.

Jesus whenever he's talking to the guys he's elevated like, a foot more than everyone else so they can hear the word of Kevin Smith handed down from on high.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

I love that episode of The Office where Michael's fourteen year old nephew says he loves "cinema" and his two favorite films are "Citizen Kane and The Boondock Saints." It's too perfect.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Tried to reason with myself that this might not have been that terrible, but when I really think about it, the plot seems really dumb even for a kids movie.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Debunk This! posted:

I remember being young enough to see and enjoy the movie Kazaam in theaters.

:same:

this movie holds up in the sense that it's SO bad that it needs to be seen later as an adult

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

moose face posted:

What is the plot of kazaam

lol I mentioned this to someone earlier today and they asked me the same thing. I don't even really remember because the second time I saw it was probably about five or six years ago. All I know is disenfranchised white kid finds a magic boombox and for some reason it summons a now presumably washed up basketball player who uses his mystical coolness and attitude to turn the kid's life around.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

moose face posted:

Is there some sort of conflict that needs to be resolved

Wikipedia posted:

The film begins with a very big wrecking ball destroying an abandoned building. The impact knocks over a magic lamp inside of the building, causing it to land on a boombox. The genie inside decides to make residence inside the boombox from there on in.

Meanwhile, a boy named Max (Francis Capra) goes to school. He greets his friend, Jake (portrayed by Jake Glaser, director Paul Michael Glaser's son), with a goofy face and is chastised by his teacher. Max is confronted by a gang of bullies, who hold him on the bathroom floor and spray paint his outline. The bullies chase Max through Brooklyn. Max is chased into the abandoned building, where he discovers the boombox and accidentally unleashes the genie inside. The genie, who introduces himself as Kazaam (Shaquille O'Neal), tells Max that he is now Max's genie and proves it to him by demonstrating his powers, which results in Kazaam disappearing off the face of the earth.

Max returns home to find that his mother is marrying a fireman named Travis. It is revealed that his mother lied to him about his real father's whereabouts, and that he is actually located in the city. Max set out to search for his father in the hopes of rekindling some sort of bond between them. He suddenly encounters Kazaam during his travels, who pesters Max into making a wish. Max eventually finds his father, only to learn that he is a musical talent agent who specializes in unauthorized music.

Max goes to his personal secret hideout and tells Kazaam about his father. They decide to have a bike race through Max's hideout, during which Kazaam shows off his powers. Kazaam finally convinces Max to make his first wish, which consists of junk food raining from the sky. While eating all of this, Max suddenly realizes that he owns Kazaam until he makes his last two wishes. Max and Kazaam go out to see Max's father again.

After getting past an intimidating bodyguard, Max is introduced by his father to the other employees of the agency and invited to a nightclub. The owner of the nightclub, Malik (Marshall Manesh), shows interest in Kazaam upon the realization that he is a genie, and he hopes to control Kazaam through Max's father. The next day, Kazaam stays in Max's home and passes himself off as Max's tutor.

Max confesses to Kazaam that he and his father aren't really connecting, though Kazaam attempts to shirk the issue with some rapping. Max attempts to wish for his father and mother to fall back in love, but Kazaam cannot grant this wish because he is not a djinn, and therefore not free to grant ethereal wishes.

Later that day, Max witnesses his father being assaulted by Malik and his minions and goes to Kazaam for help. Kazaam just received a record deal as a professional rapper and is unable to help Max out. Max is kidnapped by Malik and takes possession of Kazaam's boombox. After pushing Max down an elevator shaft, Malik summons Kazaam in the hopes that he will do his bidding. While Kazaam is initially powerless against his master, he soon breaks free from his oppression and defeats Malik and his minions.

Kazaam transforms Malik into a basketball and then slam dunks him into a garbage disposal. However, he then finds Max's lifeless body, and wishes that he could have granted Max's wish to give his father a second chance at life. Then, in his sorrow, Kazaam finally becomes a djinn, and is therefore able to do this for Max. With him officially a djinn, he pulls Max out of harm's way and carried out of the burning building by Travis. Max's father then shows up and tells him that he hopes to rekindle the bonding with his son, before he takes off with authorities. Kazaam is then last seen walking off being grilled by his girlfriend because he doesn't have a job, while at the same time, ecstatic over his newfound freedom.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

moose face posted:

This is the most 90's thing

right? I knew it had something to do with the kid hating his dad or his parents or something. you could play 90's movie bingo with poo poo like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Haier posted:

I thought Joe Dirt was a masterpiece for a very long time, and watched it in its entirety every time it came on HBO back in the day. I have probably seen it over 20 times. I watched it again last month and it was really stupid and mostly bad, but I smiled at how I used to quote that movie so much with my friends when I was 16/17.

I tried watching the second one last year and turned off after 15 minutes when I saw the same jokes from the first one.

What? You like to see homos naked?

• Locked thread