Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

mike12345 posted:

I thought The Faculty was really cool, still think it should've gotten more attention. I liked that to defeat the aliens, you need to cook/deal drugs first.

I recall circa late 90s when it was getting released it was getting a lot of attention from the then young internet geek sites like AICN and others. But I remember it sort of came and went in theaters rather quickly and I don't know why that was given how many things it had going for it. Young cast with a few recognizable faces, young director and writer who were pretty hot at the time, it was part of the new era of teen horror, and it was even a year before Columbine happened so you didn't get a teen violence backlash like you did with stuff like Teaching Mrs. Tingle.

According to wiki, it had about a $15M budget with a $40M domestic, so at that time it probably was good for a company like Miramax.

Robokomodo posted:

When I was a kid, my mom was obsessed with "Adventures in Babysitting" so I've probably seen it at least 150 times. I didn't really get tired of it because Elisabeth Shue is smoking hot. Anyone seen it recently?

The Disney Channel apparently remade it a while back, which surprised me to no end. I would have assumed it was such a big 80s-era adventure comedy that you could have out and out remade it theatrically with a more popular cast, larger budget, some in-jokes, and changed stuff around a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I found a big box copy of Treasure of the Four Crowns and while I loved the hell out of that movie the first time I saw it as a teenager playing on late night TV, I'm hesitant to watch it again years later because I know it can't hold up to how great it was the first time I saw it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think I maybe have a legit one that tried to revisit and gave up on: Mallrats. I was a huge fan of it in the 90s and then years passed and I hadn't seen it since. But I thought every critic who hated it was just wrong.

Then I got around to watching it again and I couldn't get more than about half way through before I shut it off. Now, that was about 10 years ago.

Today, I don't know how a rewatch would make me feel. It's a film that makes me wonder if the 'modern' reaction to it with a mainstream audience would be a little better since you've got geek pop culture faces in it like Affleck, Stan Lee and Rooker, you've got the steady stream of comic book nerd references that I'm not sure if they WOULD tickle a modern comic book movie-saavy audience the same way who at least now would have a greater passing knowledge of the characters, etc.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Mallrats sucks. It's not a total wash, but it's still a juvenile mess even by Kevin Smith standards.

I do think he mentioned at one time it was sort of his version of the dumb 80s comedy romps, though, that I think were becoming more scarce. I guess we might have still had stuff like The Jerky Boys movie, Kingpin and Something About Mary, The Pest, most Jim Carrey flicks and a few others probably also could have easily almost been films you'd seen in the 80s.

I guess along those lines, Revenge of the Nerds is probably going to be the universal pinnacle of this thread. I've not seen it in years and I'm sure the cringe factor if I watched it again would be like 10 times higher than that of Foodfight if I gave it another shot.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Ice Pirates, maybe. I saw the movie a lot as a kid and the last time I gave even some of it a watch was on TV some years ago and just the late 70s/early 80s supertacky SF vibe either makes it great or drags it down to the point of being cringey. I need to just rewatch it from start to finish to see how I feel about it today.

• Locked thread