Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lollontee posted:

What the gently caress... Isn't that basically an invitation for the government to hold itself hostage to pass laws the ministers all want to pass? "Pass this law or we end trhe motherfucking council of ministers bithc!"

Many systems have a mechanism like this, including every sovereign parliament I know of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Flowers For Algeria posted:

it's been a while since i last whipped out the ol' photoshop

whoa

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Talking about the EU? English is spoken as an additional language by more people than the next four EU-languages put together, and that's with the UK propping up French. Wouldn't make any sense to give primacy to languages not even a third of the EU speaks.

e: Actually, English should be promoted as the sole language of the EU precisely because it'll have very few native speakers but a lot of people who speak it.

no we should bring back latin imo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Soviet Commubot posted:

Because the French are gigantic babies about the snow.

I took this picture a few years ago because I woke up to a text message from my boss saying to stay home because of the snow. I looked out and saw this. Since I had the day off I decided to do the proper Breton thing and go buy some booze so I could just sit at home and drink all day. No such luck, every grocery store I could find was loving closed as was the city's entire public transit system. During most of my quest for alcohol I was literally the only person on the streets, like some kind of post-apocalyptic horror movie. I ended up finding a pub that was open and was the only person there apart from the bartender most of the day.

That's my story, hope you liked it.

tbh this sounds more like finding a passable excuse not to go to work than actual concerns about snow

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i mean don't get me wrong i admire the attitude

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Chomskyan posted:

I don’t read French so that article doesn’t mean anything to me. Anyways, the claim isn’t in quotes. That France has a veto in both central banks is being written as fact by Deutsche Welle

e: Or are you claiming that DW has “an axe to grind”?

googling this, it seems reasonable that some journalist has misunderstood a political statement to be a purely factual one, and the editor hasn't caught it

no doubt france maintains undue influence over the francophonie through this currency arrangement, but there does genuinely not seem to be any formal right of veto in regards to the central banks. there might be some de facto veto power (certainly some political figures in the francophonie claim as much) but this is not a formal arrangement

this is not unheard of - in my country, there's no legal minimum wage, but union agreements are ubiquitous enough that people believe that there is anyway

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lost in postation posted:

Yeah I think that's the sticking point here. I personally don't find it extremely shocking that the president meets with prominent leaders in various religious communities* even though I don't really care for it but no-one was breathlessly live-tweeting that the State should reconcile with the Church (which somehow goes unnamed, since it's the only denomination in France I guess?) when he went to see the other guys

*edit: as long as it doesn't influence policy, of course

imo it's also perfectly acceptable that religious communities influence policy in certain areas e.g. exceptions to noise regulations for church bells or prayer calls or what have you

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i strongly suspect that the forty-year-old is in better shape than the seventy-year-old, just as a hunch

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OhFunny posted:

https://www.france24.com/en/20190120-france-education-university-tuition-fees-international-foreign-students-africa

1. lol at France imploding its international education.

This is interesting. 13 universities have said they won't rise tuition for international students. Can they do that?

sure, but it is picking a fight with the government

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Kassad posted:

That's just what an anarcho-fascist would say, because they hate democracy, the rich, the free market and, in the end, France itself*

https://twitter.com/franceculture/status/1107700922895994881?s=19

* This isn't a paraphrase or hyperbole, this guy's literally saying this

Edit: Oh wait I just watched Macron's response. The crazy guy is there so Macron has a straw man in order to look moderate.

but enough about the 2017 presidential election

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't 'Fake News' originally a liberal term meant to try to discredit the endless stream of social media propaganda which immediately backfired completely and was co-opted?

yes, it's extremely funny that it was originally a term belonging to the idiot fact-checking brigades

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh i think a general ban on religious symbols in certain contexts is ok, it's when people start banning swimsuits that i start to balk

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

on the one hand eelv have eva joly who is cool

on the other they have cohn bendit who is, uh, not

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

LFI seem to have discovered the risks of populism - sometimes you get caught up in your own rhetoric

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the satiricals might pick it up occasionally, though it's been a while since i read french papers regularly

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

is valls even still alive

didn't he kill himself from the shame of losing that spanish election like he should have

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sometimes i feel as though the hollande period was all an elaborate hoax and that they couldn't be *that* stupid but what do you know

all i know is that i want philippe martinez to become first and eternal chairman of the sixth republic

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so CGT, ATTAC, Greenpeace France and a bunch of other orgs have pushed a common statement which i think looks very promising, further cementing my crush on philippe martinez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

isn't the whole gadaffi thing closing in on sarkozy's inner circle

still can't believe we blew up a country to unsuccessfully cover up some rear end in a top hat's egregious corruption