Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is he better than Fillion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Squalid posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for reading on France's colonial history in Sub-Saharan Africa? I can find a lot on the UK's colonies, BBC documentaries on decolonization, long wikipedia articles, detailed histories of individual countries etc., but I can hardly find anything on French Africa. Like for example this wikipedia article on Senegal hardly has anything, it skips straight the year 1902 to independence in 1960. I mean Senegal was a French colony for like 300 hundred years during which distinct Metis communities formed, but there's hardly anything approachable I can find on it.

King Leopold's Ghost is about Belgian colonization, but the French pulled all the same bullshit.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I took a class on the post-colonial francophone world in college 10 years ago, but I don't remember much on Africa, just the Caribbean.

Fanon worked in French government-run colonial hospitals before he became an author, I think peau noire masques blancs might have some good background info.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Merkel's running for re-election

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

If En Marche collapses, what happens? Deputes join different parties? Recall elections? It shambles along like a political zombie? Sixth Republic? :getin:

Third Empire. Hail Jupiter!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Melenchon never stayed up through the end of Indochine, did he?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
So Hitler...
But good?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

People have come up with using @ or x as a gender-neutral ending (I have no idea how they pronounce it, though).

I've heard it pronounced as "Latinex" but it's criticized as anglicization too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
None of the first 6 EU countries have English as a commonly spoken language, but 3 have French, was English used at all in the 50s?