Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

BluesShaman posted:

:lol:

Germany has been more important than France in world politics since 1940.

Only French persons think France is important.
You sure got him there, bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The thing to know about Macron is that voter turnout for the legislative election was 48,7%. I'm not one of those people that's saying Le Pen will get in at the next election, she never will. But democracy can die even if outright fascists aren't the ones pulling the switch.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Macron looks like the type of person that jerks it to that picture of himself in that jeep.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Edit lol the book is Mémoires de Guerre by Charles de Gaulle
Dude is crazy
He's a big strong man, he is. Tough. A leader.

Really, for the non-fascist alternative, this dude sure seems tempted by the fascist a e s t h e t i c

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Maybe Macron liked the whole deal that was made about him outhandshaking Trump and wants to repeat that magic. Or maybe he realises he's a piece of poo poo unless he's standing next to an even bigger piece of poo poo - and because the election is over and he can't really use Le Pen in that way, he has to go abroad.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

No way.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kassad posted:

Still works, Louis XIV died of gangrene. It took about two weeks.

https://twitter.com/ait35736313/status/882124051820367873

That bit from yesterday's speech is extra nice. Let's replace concrete welfare programs with meaningless buzzwords, this will solve everything.
Help my French isn't that good I can't seem to find the substance in this speech.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Bulbo posted:

The Vth republic does delierately ape the monarchy's aesthetic but that's not a new developement, it's been that way since De Gaulle.
Maybe it is time for a sixth republic...

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kassad posted:

In fact, here's a nearly identical photo with Sarkozy from when he was president:

That photographer sure didn't like Sarkozy

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kassad posted:

That's just what happens when you're (relatively) short and near guys that are selected based on how tall they are. See also: Napoleon.
The trick is to take the picture like they took the one of Macron - angling up at the subject rather than down. Macron's not that tall either, but it doesn't pop out like it does for Sarkozy, more than the 9cm height difference warrants.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

e: ^^^^ what the gently caress ^^

It's pretty standard in how everyone from social democrats to full on liberals in the west talk about Africa, really, but the problem is that he doesn't really elaborate on what his policy on Africa will be. He outlines the problems that everyone can outline, says the usual stuff about having to work together, fighting corruption, difficult circumstances - it doesn't stand out as particularly racist, but that's because it doesn't stand out at all. It could've been said by any western leader during the past twenty years and it can be interpreted however you want.

You can p much assume that it's going to be poo poo, however.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

We have to stop living in the past. Specifically our terrible, terrible past and also present which thematically also fits in with the past re: exploitation of Africa. Let's never speak of this again.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Edouard Philippe looks like a gremlin.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

How the gently caress do these stupid loving clowns expect to get under the Holy 3% of deficit if they burn away eleven loving billions in gifts to the rich?
Almost like they're doing it intentionally.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

That's pretty messed up.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Has anyone bothered to ask Macron his opinion about de Gaulle? I have this feeling

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

unpacked robinhood posted:

Macron is probably alluding to the dieudonné compatible crowd and their wink wink antisionism and not to imaginary nazis.
The problem is that he's willfully conflating the Dieudonné crowd with anyone else who opposes Israel.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

More likely they're thinking of enlightened despots - probably Napoleon.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

HookShot posted:

Journalists these days not even bothering with using accents in their tweets :colbert:
abolish all accents

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

I do find it hilarious that the media narrative has already started shifting from "GREAT WHILE CENTRIST HOPE OF EUROPE" to "yet another no-hoper".
I dig that they were all going 'Macron's polls are tanking! How could this be?' as if he didn't win by being a slightly less revolting bastard than Le Pen.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I mean, I expected this.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

scabs not welcome

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Of course he's not going to bow to the pressure. It's all part of his enlightened benevolent dictator spiel where he's doing what's best for the people even if they don't realise it themselves. And if his popularity has to take a hit to save us from ourselves, then by Jove, he'll make that sacrifice.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

julian assflange posted:

I'm going to be honest I think Paris' proposal is really cool. Aside from the Olympic village I don't see many white elephant-grade things.
You know exactly what's gonna happen tho

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Makes you wonder: if you beat up a fascist, aren't you automatically antifa?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Because when we tried to get women votes in the last part of the 19th century, some idiots decided to set a few building on fire to be woke so the army killed 10s of thousands of people to regain control of Paris and save the bourgeoisie. Then we loving got the Jules because nothing beat have a clean slate like having the kind of moralistically superior left wing colonialist. Well at least they were anticlerical.
uh

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The académie française sucks rear end tho

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

salut les gars

quote:

Just under a year ago, a 39-year-old underdog shook up French politics to become the youngest-ever President of the French Republic. His movement, built from scratch in just a few months, quickly doubled down by winning a large parliamentary majority, giving the new government a mandate for change.

Using this unique window of opportunity, President Macron has swiftly begun to implement an ambitious set of reforms intended to boost economic growth, reduce high unemployment and transform France into a more dynamic, competitive and inclusive economy. His vision of a strong Europe also has added fresh momentum to the integration effort—which has become all the more critical in our increasingly fragmented world.

Challenges abound. Migration, terrorism, climate, digital transformation and inequality are forcing new fault lines on our societies. But based on the policies he has implemented to date, I am convinced that Emmanuel Macron can help create the multilateral solutions that will make the planet a better place for all.

Lagarde is the managing director of the International Monetary Fund

There's also a five minute video with macron talking about a variety of subjects in a very, very stupid way. Like how he undermines his first point about the importance of international cooperation when talking about the EU by immediately following it up by saying Trump's decision to pull out of the Paris Agreement is irrelevant because the private sector will pick up the slack. What's the point of international cooperation then? His diagnosis of terrorism is also deeply troubling, but not at all surprising. He also talks about the distance he's required to maintain as president and how he can't listen to anyone but himself, the elevated godking.

I hope he falls down a well.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

unpacked robinhood posted:

No but I'm glad this idiot got told to eat dirt.
I'd feel safer if I was sure she won't pass the wise teachings of sharia law on to any future :airquote: french :airquote: citizens.
qu'est-ce que le gently caress?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Is this actually happening?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Me in this thread: is my French really that bad or are they really doing/saying that?

(it's both)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Fallen Hamprince posted:

By that standard there's been no far left anywhere for the past 30 years. There are no orthodox Marxist-Leninists in mainstream French politics for the same reason there aren't any constitutional monarchists, the country has changed and political culture has moved on.
very dumb