Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are floating timelines good or bad?
gently caress you
goku
Good
Bad
Who gives a single gently caress :whatup:
I just poo poo my pants
They're very good so my characters can live forever.
They're dumb af because my characters have lost their humanity.
View Results

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
Sometimes TV shows and comics are successful, and I mean really successful. So successful that they can run for decades, sometimes outliving a good number of its fans. Good examples of this are The Simpsons, Family Guy and DC Comics heroes like Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

How do these media franchises deal with their longevity? Simple: they make their characters ageless with a floating timeline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_timeline posted:

A floating timeline (also known as a sliding timescale) is a device used in fiction, particularly in comics and animation, to explain why characters age little or not at all over a period of time — despite real-world markers like notable events, people and technology appearing in the works and correlating with the real world. A floating timeline is a subtle form of retroactive continuity. This is seen most clearly in the case of comic book characters who debuted as teens in the 1940s or the 1960s but who are still relatively young in current comics. Events from the characters' pasts are alluded to, but they are changed from having taken place years ago to having taken place more recently.

For an example taken from animation, in The Simpsons, episode "I Married Marge", which was broadcast in 1991, Homer and Marge are shown in flashback to have conceived their son Bart in 1980, after watching The Empire Strikes Back in the cinema. In an episode that was broadcast in 2008, "That '90s Show", however, another flashback shows Homer and Marge in an earlier stage of their relationship, but sets those scenes in the early 1990s grunge music era. In both sets of present-day scenes, the characters are shown to be the same age - for example, Bart is still 10 years old in 1991 and 2008.

While some franchises (such as those of DC Comics) reset canon from time to time, other series do not, notably the Simpsons and Family Guy. Revisions are made (such as the Simpsons example with Homer and Marge's early relationship) but not everything is updated, and canonical events that occurred in the past are still extant.

IMO it leads to the characters not making as much sense and is generally bad.

What do you think GBS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Is this like how they had 30 year old actors on 90210

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Drunk Nerds posted:

Is this like how they had 30 year old actors on 90210

Not really.

In this case it's more like Homer never gets old and Bart never hits puberty, and yet the show goes on.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
so its like Sliders?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord
It's the fountain of youth but perpetuated by media executives :science:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
reminder that the simpsons predicted the trump presidency back in 2000
and also that trump bankrupts america by the end of his term

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
agreed

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this has got to be a buzzfeed article copy paste. i refuse to believe someone actually posted this in gbs

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Hell Yeah posted:

this has got to be a buzzfeed article copy paste. i refuse to believe someone actually posted this in gbs

wrote it myself boyo :3:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Hell Yeah posted:

i thought it was suspicious that pre-edit it said to discuss in the comment section below

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord
Batman is the most egregious example of this imo. With Superman he's an alien and all so it's possible he's functionally immortal.

Batman wouldn't even know when he met his enemies -- they simply were always there.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I Just poo poo My Pants moving into a tie for the lead here folks. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Edit: anyone else seeing a problem with the math in the pool, wtf?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
DC doesn't use a floating timeline, Marvel does. DC just resets continuity like every eight years.

:goonsay:

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I think they need a Crisis on Infinite Springfields OP.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I Just poo poo My Pants moving into a tie for the lead here folks. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Edit: anyone else seeing a problem with the math in the pool, wtf?

It's set to allow for multiple choice so it may not equal the total number of votes.

Go I just poo poo my pants!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is a magic xylophone or something? Ha ha, boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Cubone posted:

DC doesn't use a floating timeline, Marvel does. DC just resets continuity like every eight years.

:goonsay:

Sort of. For years, Marvel did a thing where the characters consistently aged by a year or so for every two or three years in the real world. I think that pretty much broke down when editorial started having a midlife crisis because Spider-Man was too old.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
The Simpsons were good the first 10 seasons. Floating timeline or not they got to be pretty poo poo after that.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

That Robot posted:

wrote it myself boyo :3:

Hello, Mr. Buzzfeed himself here, would you like to work for me?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is this like the parallel universe half a button press guy?

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i never watched the simpsons until last month and then i binged all 28 seasons in like four or five weeks and i know it got better then good then very good then worse then bad but i didn't take notes and im not entirely sure when each stage took place and now i don't know which ones to watch again in the future and im sad that i watched all that simpson and accomplished nothing

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i guess i just have to watch them all again :( ill take some notes on this slider timescale too and help make your thread a smash :waycool: anything to help out bud

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Didn't Marvel's New Universe imprint about 30 some years ago try to push a "1 month = 1 month" with their titles; for every month that passed in the real world, the story in issues of NU comics would similarly try to pick up around a month later in the timeframe of the characters.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

i just woke up thinkin about marge simpsons titties. if maggie is still drinkin from a bottle does this mean that marge has had milk-filled boobers for 28 years? that's prob why homer is fat, like the beer and donuts contribute obv but he's def drinkin a LOT of milk whilst snuggling and tbh none can blame him

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

That Robot posted:

Not really.

In this case it's more like Homer never gets old and Bart never hits puberty, and yet the show goes on.

Oh I see. Like how Screech eventually became vice principal on Saved by the Bell, despite never hitting puberty

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It works for some poo poo, and not for other poo poo.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

jon joe posted:

Hello, Mr. Buzzfeed himself here, would you like to work for me?

I do writing for work

no but I do like your av

Drunk Nerds posted:

Oh I see. Like how Screech eventually became vice principal on Saved by the Bell, despite never hitting puberty

Yes indeed

Pick posted:

It works for some poo poo, and not for other poo poo.

Welcome back Pick; I like the new wildcat

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:five:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

In all honesty the floating timeline hurts the story and is a vehicle for making more money for media conglomerates.

There's a reason it's called Zombie Simpsons.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

So it's like when future trunks comes back and slices up fureeza?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

dr.acula posted:

So it's like when future trunks comes back and slices up fureeza?

Not a ret-con.

It's like how Homer met Marge in the 60s-70s in the early seasons and in the 90s in recent systems.

The timeline is only in relative, nebulous terms like "ten years ago". That could be any time. :shrug:

The timeline moves with the present.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
when the show's own anachronism forces it to decide to be relevant or irrelevant- the 90s Simpsons were at about a 70s level of technology in their home since that's what the writers grew up with but the floating timeline forces them to do episodes about ipods and smartphones that feel garishly out of place next to everything that came previously since the writers have no actual conception about how or when normal people adopted this technology in their lives. all the tech and social media poo poo that has changed the very way the world functions is in the writers minds just "what the kids are up to" and its incorporation just ends up hackneyed, lame and just plain out of touch

when you see this creeping anachronism (whatbadgerseat.com) it makes it very easy to delineate poo poo and non poo poo simpsons

OP t:mad:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'm trying to imagine a situation where anyone normal would give even a single poo poo about a "floating timeline" and I'm drawing a complete blank.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

satanic splash-back posted:

I'm trying to imagine a situation where anyone normal would give even a single poo poo about a "floating timeline" and I'm drawing a complete blank.

Nerd, dude.

I'm a loving nerd. :goonsay:

When did I ever say I was normal?

cool new Polack jokes posted:

when the show's own anachronism forces it to decide to be relevant or irrelevant- the 90s Simpsons were at about a 70s level of technology in their home since that's what the writers grew up with but the floating timeline forces them to do episodes about ipods and smartphones that feel garishly out of place next to everything that came previously since the writers have no actual conception about how or when normal people adopted this technology in their lives. all the tech and social media poo poo that has changed the very way the world functions is in the writers minds just "what the kids are up to" and its incorporation just ends up hackneyed, lame and just plain out of touch

when you see this creeping anachronism (whatbadgerseat.com) it makes it very easy to delineate poo poo and non poo poo simpsons

OP t:mad:

Yup. Would have been good if they kept it in the 90s.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the simpsons doesnt work because the writers completely forgot bart is a 10 year old kid, lisa is an 8 year old girl, the babys a baby, marge is lame loving housewife with unusual quirks, and homer is dumb but good-natured father. and so they cant figure out how to make episodes that involve that and its just about the simpsons go to ______ or the trendy new ______ meets simposns

the last episode where these were remembered (the last good episode i remember) was the girl who slept too little from season 17. it was all there and i think they put a little more care into the animation for it
1 good episode per decade sounds about right

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

That explains why there was donald trump in the 80's, but it's 2017 and there's still donanld trump.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

another example of floating timelines was in Stephen King's It, where in the 50's they all floated, but later in the 80's they also floated

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

Hope this doesn't shock op or anyone else but none of them are real. They're fictional. Hope this epiphany doesn't scare any of you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
hey everybody calm the down. the simpsons is a cartoon

• Locked thread