Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are floating timelines good or bad?
gently caress you
goku
Good
Bad
Who gives a single gently caress :whatup:
I just poo poo my pants
They're very good so my characters can live forever.
They're dumb af because my characters have lost their humanity.
View Results

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
Sometimes TV shows and comics are successful, and I mean really successful. So successful that they can run for decades, sometimes outliving a good number of its fans. Good examples of this are The Simpsons, Family Guy and DC Comics heroes like Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

How do these media franchises deal with their longevity? Simple: they make their characters ageless with a floating timeline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_timeline posted:

A floating timeline (also known as a sliding timescale) is a device used in fiction, particularly in comics and animation, to explain why characters age little or not at all over a period of time — despite real-world markers like notable events, people and technology appearing in the works and correlating with the real world. A floating timeline is a subtle form of retroactive continuity. This is seen most clearly in the case of comic book characters who debuted as teens in the 1940s or the 1960s but who are still relatively young in current comics. Events from the characters' pasts are alluded to, but they are changed from having taken place years ago to having taken place more recently.

For an example taken from animation, in The Simpsons, episode "I Married Marge", which was broadcast in 1991, Homer and Marge are shown in flashback to have conceived their son Bart in 1980, after watching The Empire Strikes Back in the cinema. In an episode that was broadcast in 2008, "That '90s Show", however, another flashback shows Homer and Marge in an earlier stage of their relationship, but sets those scenes in the early 1990s grunge music era. In both sets of present-day scenes, the characters are shown to be the same age - for example, Bart is still 10 years old in 1991 and 2008.

While some franchises (such as those of DC Comics) reset canon from time to time, other series do not, notably the Simpsons and Family Guy. Revisions are made (such as the Simpsons example with Homer and Marge's early relationship) but not everything is updated, and canonical events that occurred in the past are still extant.

IMO it leads to the characters not making as much sense and is generally bad.

What do you think GBS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Drunk Nerds posted:

Is this like how they had 30 year old actors on 90210

Not really.

In this case it's more like Homer never gets old and Bart never hits puberty, and yet the show goes on.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord
It's the fountain of youth but perpetuated by media executives :science:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Hell Yeah posted:

this has got to be a buzzfeed article copy paste. i refuse to believe someone actually posted this in gbs

wrote it myself boyo :3:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord
Batman is the most egregious example of this imo. With Superman he's an alien and all so it's possible he's functionally immortal.

Batman wouldn't even know when he met his enemies -- they simply were always there.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I Just poo poo My Pants moving into a tie for the lead here folks. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Edit: anyone else seeing a problem with the math in the pool, wtf?

It's set to allow for multiple choice so it may not equal the total number of votes.

Go I just poo poo my pants!

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

jon joe posted:

Hello, Mr. Buzzfeed himself here, would you like to work for me?

I do writing for work

no but I do like your av

Drunk Nerds posted:

Oh I see. Like how Screech eventually became vice principal on Saved by the Bell, despite never hitting puberty

Yes indeed

Pick posted:

It works for some poo poo, and not for other poo poo.

Welcome back Pick; I like the new wildcat

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

In all honesty the floating timeline hurts the story and is a vehicle for making more money for media conglomerates.

There's a reason it's called Zombie Simpsons.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

dr.acula posted:

So it's like when future trunks comes back and slices up fureeza?

Not a ret-con.

It's like how Homer met Marge in the 60s-70s in the early seasons and in the 90s in recent systems.

The timeline is only in relative, nebulous terms like "ten years ago". That could be any time. :shrug:

The timeline moves with the present.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

satanic splash-back posted:

I'm trying to imagine a situation where anyone normal would give even a single poo poo about a "floating timeline" and I'm drawing a complete blank.

Nerd, dude.

I'm a loving nerd. :goonsay:

When did I ever say I was normal?

cool new Polack jokes posted:

when the show's own anachronism forces it to decide to be relevant or irrelevant- the 90s Simpsons were at about a 70s level of technology in their home since that's what the writers grew up with but the floating timeline forces them to do episodes about ipods and smartphones that feel garishly out of place next to everything that came previously since the writers have no actual conception about how or when normal people adopted this technology in their lives. all the tech and social media poo poo that has changed the very way the world functions is in the writers minds just "what the kids are up to" and its incorporation just ends up hackneyed, lame and just plain out of touch

when you see this creeping anachronism (whatbadgerseat.com) it makes it very easy to delineate poo poo and non poo poo simpsons

OP t:mad:

Yup. Would have been good if they kept it in the 90s.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Xtra Innings Lovin posted:

Hope this doesn't shock op or anyone else but none of them are real. They're fictional. Hope this epiphany doesn't scare any of you.

The quote below you is what I already understand:

mind the walrus posted:

repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax

I'm just a huge fuggen nerd, Xtra Innings Lovin.

Tune in and chill.

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I get how floating timelines might be bad for character driven dramas or whatever, but how can you possibly care about it in Simpsons or Family Guy?

Because otherwise the plots don't make as much sense or otherwise seem absurd. They are also series with recurring characters and motifs; they have to have come from somewhere.

Gatekeeper posted:

i know it's a cartoon but marge does have titties right?

One of the best quotes from the Simpsons was Otto and the "Fingers, man. Have you ever seen them actually 'fing'?" bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

It's a cartoon comedy

Yeah I know. It's not even a show I watch often.

But I was explaining my point.

• Locked thread