Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Dameius posted:

I'm still amazed and baffled at how uniquely terrible Nintendo is with online anything every time I am reminded of it.

Yep. Sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

ten years from now when the old guard have passed and zelda is now a live service mmo gacha, people will long for the days of weirdly conservative old Nintendo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ninetendo is just as greedy but they'd prefer you fill up your home with plastic tchochkes and $50 pieces of cardboard instead.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My reading of friend codes has always been that it's some kind of layer of protection for kids or it's meant to be like a phone number.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I bet its just a dev lead who was really into ICQ.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Star Man posted:

My reading of friend codes has always been that it's some kind of layer of protection for kids or it's meant to be like a phone number.

https://www.eurogamer.net/nintendo-chose-internet-friend-codes-because-using-real-names-was-not-simple-enough

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I guessed correctly.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Didn't Diablo 3 on windows basically figure this out with screenname + 4 digit number?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think Blizzard figured it out with Battle.net 2.0 before StarCraft II came out.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
That is Battle.Net in general, not just D3, but yeah.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Didn't Diablo 3 on windows basically figure this out with screenname + 4 digit number?

Mind you before we got there we had to go through the whole Bnet will use your real name fiasco

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
despite the dumb net stuff i prefer d3 on switch. i like that i have 60 pieces of gear in my inventory and can easily compare stats. i never found inventory tetris very fun

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Diablo 3 on Switch is so much better than the PC version that I can’t imagine ever going back. I’m D4 Day 1 baby, but will the Switch even be able to run it? I’m guessing “no”

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Honestly I kiiiinda get it from a very 90s perspective. They were worried about people getting frustrated if they couldn't get their chosen username, and I can imagine that fielding complaints from nintendo fans about usernames in the 90s would have been a special kind of hell.

Also it was the 90s and I can just imagine the headlines the first time someone's kid is spotted playing Mario or Pokemon with MILFHunter69.

These days? Everyone knows that people grab dumb usernames online. But that's the kind of poo poo that could have lead to Dan Rather talking solemnly about Nintendo exposing YOUR CHILDREN to INTERNET FILTH on the evening news. poo poo, this isn't that long after everyone was freaked out about Murphy Brown being a single mom and Tipper Gore was trying to get bad words banned from music.

edit: these days it's just a legacy system that they're stuck with because everyone already has a number and migrating them to new ones would be a headache

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 19, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The switch can do a lot with a 30 fps cap and really aggressive optimization and downgrading. The question is whether you'll be willing to live with something that might dip to 540p undocked

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly I kiiiinda get it from a very 90s perspective. They were worried about people getting frustrated if they couldn't get their chosen username, and I can imagine that fielding complaints from nintendo fans about usernames in the 90s would have been a special kind of hell.

Also it was the 90s and I can just imagine the headlines the first time someone's kid is spotted playing Mario or Pokemon with MILFHunter69.

These days? Everyone knows that people grab dumb usernames online. But that's the kind of poo poo that could have lead to Dan Rather talking solemnly about Nintendo exposing YOUR CHILDREN to INTERNET FILTH on the evening news. poo poo, this isn't that long after everyone was freaked out about Murphy Brown being a single mom and Tipper Gore was trying to get bad words banned from music.

edit: these days it's just a legacy system that they're stuck with because everyone already has a number and migrating them to new ones would be a headache

I think the number changes with every console.

Also I'm not sure when you think the Wii launched.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Robo Reagan posted:

despite the dumb net stuff i prefer d3 on switch. i like that i have 60 pieces of gear in my inventory and can easily compare stats. i never found inventory tetris very fun

whoa really? I left PC D3 on launch because I did not want to do the campaign 4 times and playing D3 on Switch now, that isn't available on PC? lol

I could never try and play this on PC again

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Star Man posted:

I think the number changes with every console.

Also I'm not sure when you think the Wii launched.

Sure we do. It was apparently around the time that George P. Shultz was making a muck of things.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/quinrex/status/1538208049227530246?s=21&t=NyUyXAIrpI_BAv6P9GsxLw

https://twitter.com/andron55551/status/1538215689047232512?s=21&t=NyUyXAIrpI_BAv6P9GsxLw

lmao this clip is good and perfects captures the Diablo Immortal experience

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

gently caress id love to be paid by a bunch of morons to play a lovely game

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It was a real shame that Quin stopped making d3 content.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Just got to Act 2 and have mostly settled on playing Wizard through the story. Got him, a crusader, Necro, and DH up to 15 to see which I liked best. Necro/crusader are both rad and DH is ok, but blowing things up with the wizard hit that sweet spot for me.

When I’m done I’ll probably turn right around and do a crusader for seasonal.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

If I could make one change to Diablo 3 it would be to delete convention of elements. I’m so bored of its uncontrollable-cooldown play style and only having my real damage for 4 out of every 28 seconds and every single build basically requires it to push its highest.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

That one transaction from one person is equal to about 200 people buying a game at full price.

E: That was using Australian prices. That's about 264 people at American prices.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 20, 2022

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Dross posted:

If I could make one change to Diablo 3 it would be to delete convention of elements. I’m so bored of its uncontrollable-cooldown play style and only having my real damage for 4 out of every 28 seconds and every single build basically requires it to push its highest.

I would put in an autocast option

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my PC Diablo 3 experience was different because I used autohotkey so I could hold down W and it would spam left-clicks for me, and Q for shift-left-clicks, and E for right-clicks, and ditto for 1, 2, 3, 4 for the other skills

I figured I was just being lazy, but now I'm getting the impression that this was actually a big usability issue for some people

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Console issues aside, I don’t like it when I have to compensate for UI/control issues with ahk. Having to recast buffs isn’t fun or interesting gameplay

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I got turbohud and will never be able to play diablo 3 without it again. Once you've had that much quality of life there's no going back.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Dumb question; Does the Consume Corpse Lance benefit of Pestilence cast a strictly worse version of Corpse Lance? If I use the active skill on LMB it one shots god and spamming consume during LotD, while doing plenty, at least seems to fall off at higher GRs/Torment.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For stuff like COE, I ignore the element rotation and just play the game. Sometimes every 20 seconds or so, I get a big damage boost. And that’s cool. But not worth it to me to bother with skill timing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dross posted:

Word, I bail on every season about the time that I need to start worrying about convention cycles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Convention of Elements is fine. Even if you do absolutely nothing different, it's still 50% more damage for a ring slot with the potential of pushing it even further if you can pay attention for 5 seconds. If you want to complain about something talk about Oculus Ring, which is way more random for an arbitrarily greater advantage.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I could never even make out the convention cycle symbols on switch even on the tv and when I started playing on PC it blew my mind on how much more effective it was to play into but then I almost immediately stopped playing on PC because switch is superior

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just don’t ever put CoE on, there’s like 50 rings in the game and they’re all pretty good

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I just don’t ever put CoE on, there’s like 50 rings in the game and they’re all pretty good

I wear two RRoGs so I can wear 2 less set items

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I simply wear one ring in honour of our patron saint

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I could never even make out the convention cycle symbols on switch even on the tv and when I started playing on PC it blew my mind on how much more effective it was to play into but then I almost immediately stopped playing on PC because switch is superior

Why in the blue gently caress don't they release controller support for the PC version?

I mean, poo poo, I could probably bodge something by loading the blizzard client through steam and using that controller mapping overlay. I've done that for XBGP when I didn't have an actual xbox controller on hand but had a steam controller.

Not to get back to grim dawn chat, but loving grim dawn has controller support via Steam. Really good too.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

its not just controller support, its the whole UI overhaul tbh. Playing diablo 2 with a controller was nice but that loving inventory management system is still an absolutely awful shitfight. Not just inventory slots either, poo poo like having to break down magic and rare and common items separately was just an absolute pointless mechanism that didn't need to be there from my POV coming from switch. The separate stash tabs and consolidating gems in bulk are the only aspects that are imo strictly better on pc. Every other single aspect of the game feels and plays better with the console interface

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 20, 2022

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

mewse posted:

I wear two RRoGs so I can wear 2 less set items

Bring back the fourth cube slot and allow them all to stack so I can wear 4 sets. I’d absolutely play that bananas season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also they would have to, like, add dodge-roll to the PC version